PLEASE Help! SGU vs Ross?? 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I attend?

• St. Georges

Votes: 73 65.2%
  • Ross

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • AUC

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • UMHS

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

Royaldoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which Caribbean medical school is the better option and why? All the other threads are so old and things have changed. Please don't comment if you are just going to tell me not to attend any of them, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I am aware of the risks associated with Caribbean schools. I have been accepted to SGU, Ross, AUC, UMHS. The difference in tuition isn't a deciding factor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What were your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
What were your stats?

I have a 3.6 overall and like a 3.4 science but my MCAT was a 22 without studying much but it is changing so Caribbean is my only option. I feel like things that made Ross a bad choice have been addressed in recent years. I just want to know which would give me the best chance at matching for residency at a good hospital

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you retook MCAT, you could easily get into a DO school..

Reactions: 1 users
If you retook MCAT, you could easily get into a DO school..
If only it wasn't changing I could study and do much better but even DO I would think I need at least a 25 for any chance.

OP, you are f****** blowing it if you don't retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users
Retake the mcat, don't let impatience wreck this for you

Reactions: 5 users
All the other threads are so old and things have changed.

Ummmm... no they're not and no they haven't.

I have been accepted to SGU, Ross, AUC, UMHS. The difference in tuition isn't a deciding factor.

If cost really isn't an issue (i.e., you are independently wealthy) then overall your safest bet is probably St. George's University, especially if you have already been accepted there. They are the most well-established and, thanks still to the (there's no such thing as "bad") publicity they got in the early 1980's during the Nutmeg Revolution, they are the most well-known and, therefore (for some reason), respected of the schools.

It's still the Caribbean. It's still going to be an uphill battle. Why the sense of urgency? That's what has be most curious. Is there some back-story we're missing?

-Skip

P.S. The forum is autocorrecting "it's" to "Tis". HAHA! :lol:Merry Christmas!!

Reactions: 3 users
Retake the mcat, don't let impatience wreck this for you
The MCAT is completely changing in January and the new one isn't an option for me. I am 25 years old and want to start. If SGU is the best option I currently have a seat there for January and don't want to lose it since they only have two semesters in a year.

If only it wasn't changing I could study and do much better but even DO I would think I need at least a 25 for any chance.
It's barely changing bro. Like one new section and it's Psych... If that's keeping you from studying for the MCAT, how will you succeed in the Caribbean?

Tis barely changing bro. Like one new section and Tis Psych... If that's keeping you from studying for the MCAT, how will you succeed in the Caribbean?
I have no distractions in the Caribbean.

The MCAT is completely changing in January and the new one isn't an option for me. I am 25 years old and want to start. If SGU is the best option I currently have a seat there for January and don't want to lose it since they only have two semesters in a year.
There are plenty of people's stories you can read in which impatience cost them dearly and they wished they had gone to DO school. SGU can be your gateway to a lifetime of debt that you have no chance of ever paying back, followed by a tax bomb that wipes out your retirement savings after it is forgiven s/p 30 years of interest. Don't do eet unless you are willing to possibly ruin, and I mean completely ruin, your life.

300-400k in nondischargeable debt is no joke. If you're 25, and it were forgiven when you were 59 after not matching and getting a job that pays 50k a year (being generous there as an MD grad with no other skills), you would pay 5k on a 350k loan that will accrue, based on future projections of loan interest rates, roughly 8.2% a year in interest (future loan rates are likely to hit near 10% within 4 years, and are unsubsidized). Using these numbers, you'll end up with well over 3 million dollars in debt when your loan is forgiven. When this loan is forgiven, you will owe taxes as if the forgiveness amount were income. This results in a seven figure tax bill to the IRS. The IRS can take anything from you, including your retirement accounts, which would leave you completely bankrupt with your retirement funds raided and likely no social security at 59 years old. If you're married, your assets are shared, so everything your wife owns is up for the taking as well. So if you're willing to be completely destitute care of an IRS reaming at the age of 59, feel free to go to SGU, as your chances of matching 4 years down the line will probably be 50% or lower (if you successfully compete your degree). If not, I'd highly recommend you give DO schools a shot after retaking the MCAT.

"If you retook the MCAT, if only you had a higher MCAT, don't go to the Caribbean, DO is the only route, blah blah blahhhh."

I was in the same boat as you and was accepted to Ross and SGU (never applied to UMHS or AUC). I decided SGU. I'll explain why in a moment, and never looked back. I'm an incoming student for the January 2015 term, and feel that I made the correct decision.Though not applying to AUC made me ponder a bit..I have heard good things about AUC. So I can speak on Ross and SGU only.

If you're like me, you don't care about spending a little extra money (attending SGU vs Ross) for a better living situation and better (imo) curriculum. Why I say curriculum is because SGU is a semester system similar to the US-style med schools. Ross is on a quarter system and accepts people in three separate cycles, SGU in two, and US med schools just in one cycle.

Since I'm joining SGU in January, I'll finish at the SAME TIME as the students who begin in August, since they are apart of the same cycle. That means I'm not only competing against my January class for spots, but moreover the August 2015 class as well. For Ross, it is much more competitive since you'd be competing with three separate incoming classes of god knows how many students, all who graduate in the same year with you. Regardless, I hear total class size for both schools for the school year is 1,000+ (I can't verify this, maybe someone can?).

Just do a quick youtube search of Ross University SOM and they'll have students who post tours of the campus, similarly do it with St. George's University SOM. You'll be able to see the differences in the school right away, and maybe get a feel of student life. There are a lot of videos on both schools.

I was first accepted to Ross and was so happy to just have been given an opportunity to pursue my dreams, I'm passionate and dedicated and have learned the error of my ways. I had a crappy first MCAT (21) but had a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and did a year of significant research at a really reputable lab. Then I was accepted to SGU and now, I was in the position of deciding what school I wanted to attend; instead of taking a one-way street, I now had options. SGU is more expensive, but I just don't care, it's a better fit for me.

Now, I'll regurgitate the positives of what people say on here..

Doesn't matter which school you choose (Ross or SGU) in the end, you're there to study your butt off and pass Step 1's with flying colors. It's an uphill battle going to a Caribbean school, but hell, be up for the challenge! It'll make it all the more sweet when you succeed in life. Learn to take criticism (especially online, especiallyyy on SDN) of the route your taking, there are stigmas involved. My advice, F**k them. Do your thing, close your mind's eye to what people are saying and open it in your books. You'll do great.

Lastly, don't ever doubt yourself. ever.

-Zedd

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 34yr old ms1. I get the impatience.

Read the "cautionary tale" thread...you are rolling some very expensive dice

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/Now,-a-cautionary-tale....1107726/#post-15884531

"If you retook the MCAT, if only you had a higher MCAT, don't go to the Caribbean, DO is the only route, blah blah blahhhh."

I was in the same boat as you and was accepted to Ross and SGU (never applied to UMHS or AUC). I decided SGU. I'll explain why in a moment, and never looked back. I'm an incoming student for the January 2015 term, and feel that I made the correct decision.Though not applying to AUC made me ponder a bit..I have heard good things about AUC. So I can speak on Ross and SGU only.

If you're like me, you don't care about spending a little extra money (attending SGU vs Ross) for a better living situation and better (imo) curriculum. Why I say curriculum is because SGU is a semester system similar to the US-style med schools. Ross is on a quarter system and accepts people in three separate cycles, SGU in two, and US med schools just in one cycle.

Since I'm joining SGU in January, I'll finish at the SAME TIME as the students who begin in August, since they are apart of the same cycle. That means I'm not only competing against my January class for spots, but moreover the August 2015 class as well. For Ross, Tis much more competitive since you'd be competing with three separate incoming classes of god knows how many students, all who graduate in the same year with you. Regardless, I hear total class size for both schools for the school year is 1,000+ (I can't verify this, maybe someone can?).

Just do a quick youtube search of Ross University SOM and they'll have students who post tours of the campus, similarly do it with St. George's University SOM. You'll be able to see the differences in the school right away, and maybe get a feel of student life. There are a lot of videos on both schools.

I was first accepted to Ross and was so happy to just have been given an opportunity to pursue my dreams, I'm passionate and dedicated and have learned the error of my ways. I had a crappy MCAT (21) but had a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and did a year of significant research at a really reputable lab. Then I was accepted to SGU and now, I was in the position of deciding what school I wanted to attend; instead of taking a one-way street, I now had options. SGU is more expensive, but I just don't care, Tis a better fit for me.

Doesn't matter which school you choose (Ross or SGU) in the end, you're there to study your butt off and pass Step 1's with flying colors. Tis an uphill battle going to a Caribbean school, but hell, be up for the challenge! It'll make it all the more sweet when you succeed in life. Learn to take criticism (especially online, especiallyyy on SDN) of the route your taking, there are stigmas involved. My advice, F**k them. Do your thing, close your mind's eye to what people are saying and open it in your books. You'll do great.

-Zedd
Ill most likely see you there. Send me a message if you can.

@Zedd @Royaldoctor Wow LOL. Good luck you two. Don't say attendings, US medical students tried to warn you.
This is EXACTLY why I use ValueMD, thanks for your condescending remarks Dr Arse hole, oops I mean...no that's exactly what I meant. It's amazing how much a douche a doctor can be online to future medical students. Unbelievable.

Goodluck RoyalDoctor on your medical endeavor, I wish you good studies and moreover I wish you success! It's ganna be TOUGH, but it's possible as long as you maintain a great work ethic. We'll prove them wrong Royaldoctor, we'll prove all of them wrong.

I decided SGU. I'll explain why in a moment, and never looked back. I'm an incoming student for the January 2015 term, and feel that I made the correct decision.

I'm really glad that based on your experience of having absolutely no experience, you feel like you can advise someone on how to make that decision.

Retake the MCAT. Or not listen and ruin your life. Up to you.

Since I'm joining SGU in January, I'll finish at the SAME TIME as the students who begin in August, since they are apart of the same cycle. That means I'm not only competing against my January class for spots, but moreover the August 2015 class as well. For Ross, it is much more competitive since you'd be competing with three separate incoming classes of god knows how many students, all who graduate in the same year with you. Regardless, I hear total class size for both schools for the school year is 1,000+ (I can't verify this, maybe someone can?).

I was first accepted to Ross and was so happy to just have been given an opportunity to pursue my dreams, I'm passionate and dedicated and have learned the error of my ways. I had a crappy MCAT (21) but had a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and did a year of significant research at a really reputable lab. Then I was accepted to SGU and now, I was in the position of deciding what school I wanted to attend; instead of taking a one-way street, I now had options. SGU is more expensive, but I just don't care, it's a better fit for me.

Doesn't matter which school you choose (Ross or SGU) in the end, you're there to study your butt off and pass Step 1's with flying colors. It's an uphill battle going to a Caribbean school, but hell, be up for the challenge! It'll make it all the more sweet when you succeed in life. Learn to take criticism (especially online, especiallyyy on SDN) of the route your taking, there are stigmas involved. My advice, F**k them. Do your thing, close your mind's eye to what people are saying and open it in your books. You'll do great.

-Zedd
Lol strong first post.

Must be a carribean school rep.

21 MCAT, you'll be going places!

So much vitriol and emotional response in this thread from so many misinformed future doctors.

As Skip said, the difference is largely one of cost, their residency rates and Step 1 pass rate are essentially the same. Ross is less expensive than SGU and Dominica is a less-developed island than Grenada. Until recently, their class sizes were smaller but I'm not really sure if that's the case any more. SGU is more expensive and probably in general a bit better known in the States than Ross.

A poor MCAT score is troubling, and I would encourage you to reevaluate your reasons for going to the Caribbean. The tests only get harder and their outcomes almost exclusively determine your future fate as a physician. If you are a poor test-taker it is important that you figure that out before going to medical school anywhere.

If you have specific questions about SGU feel free to PM me.

Hey OP, I'm not bagging on you. This is a srs question: why would you not just plan to take the new mcat and apply DO?

It's a single test. It sucks but it's not the end of the world to take it.

If it's bc you'd prefer the md letters, then fair enough and no hard feelings. But you'll have more options as a DO if you just make that mcat your beotch.

*disclaimer - DO student here

^ Sage advice. Don't put yourself at statistical risk with your good GPA, when you can easily get into a mainland school with an MCAT retake.

At this point, you should follow your gut. You've been given advice from many current students and attendings and still seem set on SGU. This is a perfect case of, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

This thread is toxic. There is no way to put this nicely, but both OP and Zedd you both need to pull your heads out of each others asses.

NEITHER OF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Just because you both have the same stupid theory and the other is agreeing with you doesn't make it any less asinine. You now just have passenger in the car that you are about to crash.

Not retaking the MCAT is the worst advice anybody could ever give you.

I have been on this site long enough though to see this unfold multiple times. You will ignore this advice, go to Ross and either fail out and maybe start a thread about going to St Matthews (and we will again tell you how stupid THAT is, which you will again ignore)....or sometime in the next few years you will mysteriously disappear from SDN as you search for jobs hiring MDs who dont match.

Going to a carib school is something that needs to be a calculated decision. I suggest looking through Skip's posts and reading up. If you are stubborn, unrealistic, and akin to ignoring the realities of medical education you will see why people jump on these threads warning you of your impending mistakes.

For future premeds I encourage you to watch the future posts of both the OP and Zedd. Keep an eye out around 2016. Statistically speaking, one of them will have a thread along the lines of "failed out, now what do I do?"

Reactions: 4 users
For future premeds I encourage you to watch the future posts of both the OP and Zedd. Keep an eye out around 2016. Statistically speaking, one of them will have a thread along the lines of "failed out, now what do I do?"

Don't believe me just watch.

Lol.

Tell me again how you cant possibly score higher than a 21 on the MCAT but you plan on getting >200 on step 1?

Being impatient can have dire consequences.

It's okay to ignore the anti-Caribbean stuff here but please at least do simple math: By the time you graduate, DOs will be populating most of the spots that had traditionally gone to IMG/FMG applicants. They need a captive population of US graduates (without the Caribbean option) as indentured servants when a national healthcare crisis is declared, LOL!

One has to look at today's reality and make the decision. At the end of the day, it comes down to risk. Things have changed far too much to 'wing it' and hope things work out. There will probably be more applicants than slots by the time you apply for the match. Right now, no one cares because they don't believe it'll ever affect US MD grads.

Take it as a compliment that people are harassing you to retake your MCAT. If you had a 2.5 and 21 MCAT nobody would bother, but MCAT aside, you're a solid candidate on paper.

This is EXACTLY why I use ValueMD, thanks for your condescending remarks Dr Arse hole, oops I mean...no that's exactly what I meant. It's amazing how much a douche a doctor can be online to future medical students. Unbelievable.

Goodluck RoyalDoctor on your medical endeavor, I wish you good studies and moreover I wish you success! It's ganna be TOUGH, but it's possible as long as you maintain a great work ethic. We'll prove them wrong Royaldoctor, we'll prove all of them wrong.
Statistically, one of the two of you will not complete med school or match.

Reactions: 2 users
Being impatient can have dire consequences.

It's okay to ignore the anti-Caribbean stuff here but please at least do simple math: By the time you graduate, DOs will be populating most of the spots that had traditionally gone to IMG/FMG applicants. They need a captive population of US graduates (without the Caribbean option) as indentured servants when a national healthcare crisis is declared, LOL!

One has to look at today's reality and make the decision. At the end of the day, it comes down to risk. Things have changed far too much to 'wing it' and hope things work out. There will probably be more applicants than slots by the time you apply for the match. Right now, no one cares because they don't believe it'll ever affect US MD grads.

To be more clear, I am not anti-carib. I am actually quite pro-carib in the correct circumstances. I am not going to get into what they are...refer to skipintro's post history.

I am very anti laziness though. There is no room for laziness in ANY medical school, but especially in international schools where the risks are much higher.

These two airheads are prime examples of laziness. They are both unwilling to retake ONE (easy) test and instead subject themselves to schools where test taking means life and death.

The attitude of "I will just kill step 1" (hard) is bull****. If you're capable of studying hard and beating a test, then you are capable of doing that to the MCAT.

Unless of course you are too lazy to subject yourself to working hard for something.

Hard workers can leave the islands on equal standing with US grads.

Lazy know-it-alls leave the islands with debt and regret.

There is a ***very logical*** lack of 3rd/4th year med students or residents/attendings who disagree with me on this.

Nobody thinks that it will be them that fail. Statistics show that subpar MCATs tend to have lower step scores. Going to a Caribbean school, you would have to have fantastic step scores to be able to get much more than primary care. You will have to have above average step scores to have a nice primary care residency. Average and below average scores, well, there are those bad programs out there that you might get... or not get...

why are people badmouthing sgu? I heard most of their students obtain residency.

Graduating SGU student here. I'm going to agree that you should retake the MCAT and try another cycle in the states. If for some reason that doesn't work out and you're fine with doing family medicine, internal medicine, or psychiatry, then I would say go to SGU. Every attending on the East coast that I've spoken to about the Caribbean schools has said that they prefer SGU to Ross and then Ross to all the others. Is this anecdotal? Absolutely. Could it have been bull****? Absolutely. However, I do think that the SGU match list is usually a tad more impressive so that is why I decided on it. Can you get into a specialty that I didn't list above coming from SGU? Absolutely. Just know that you're going to need to get good grades, kick ass on Step 1 and 2, pass CS on the first try, do research, and get great letters. Very, very uphill climb at this point, especially with all the new US medical schools that will be opening up.

Ok, so I have followed these threads now for a long time and see all this anti-Caribbean med school stuff all of the time. I also got into SGU and deferred for the year due to a personal family issue. But I am also scared about going because of what I constantly read on these forums and everyone saying that you will never match, bla bla bla.

Can someone who goes to SGU actually clarify? I have now spoken with 3 different friends from university who went to SGU and all have matched. In fact this year, one matched first choice in New York to paediatrics and one matched to radiology in New York as well! They informed me that they think about 80% of grads matched in 2015

SGU had 800 people match this year. Now I know that doesn't say what percentage of graduates matched. But thinking about 1200 people per year enter (700 in August 500 in January) Those are estimates. Well four years ago, I would think that it was less than that, as the classes have gotten a lot smaller. So let's say 1000-1100 per year entered in 2011. That is still a high percentage of people matching. People on these forums make it seem like anyone who goes to the Caribbean will not match. I spoke with my friends at SGU and they have informed me that those who do not match, it is usually because 1) they did not apply to many programs 2) they wanted to do a very competitive specialty like radiology or surgery or 3) they failed the Step 1 or 2.

But for those of us who perhaps are only interested in Family medicine or Internal medicine, is it really that unlikely to match? I guess I keep reading all of these messages on this forum that make it seem like med school in the Caribbean is the worst option…Ok, it is not guaranteed, but nothing is. There are still people in the US and Canada who do not match. Of course the number is a lot lower, but it does still happen. All I know, is that I am from Canada, and an SGU grad interviewed me who matched in Vancouver. I have plenty of friends who went to UBC medical school, which is BC's only med school and a great school, who couldn't even match in Vancouver..

Can someone who actually has stats from what percentage of SGU grads match maybe shed the light on the situation.

I guess my point is if you went to SGU and actually want to do family med, peds or internal, work your but off, and apply to tons of residency programs, are you really that unlikely to match? I know spots are getting tighter each year for IMG's, but I can't believe it is as grim as everyone on these forums make it sound like. Everyone I know that has gone abroad to med school has been successful at matching. I agree that they haven't matched in surgery or another competitive specialty, but most of them didn't want to do that.

I meant the classes have gotten a lot bigger not smaller in my post above

Ok, so I have followed these threads now for a long time and see all this anti-Caribbean med school stuff all of the time. I also got into SGU and deferred for the year due to a personal family issue. But I am also scared about going because of what I constantly read on these forums and everyone saying that you will never match, bla bla bla.

Can someone who goes to SGU actually clarify? I have now spoken with 3 different friends from university who went to SGU and all have matched. In fact this year, one matched first choice in New York to paediatrics and one matched to radiology in New York as well! They informed me that they think about 80% of grads matched in 2015

SGU had 800 people match this year. Now I know that doesn't say what percentage of graduates matched. But thinking about 1200 people per year enter (700 in August 500 in January) Those are estimates. Well four years ago, I would think that it was less than that, as the classes have gotten a lot smaller. So let's say 1000-1100 per year entered in 2011. That is still a high percentage of people matching. People on these forums make it seem like anyone who goes to the Caribbean will not match. I spoke with my friends at SGU and they have informed me that those who do not match, it is usually because 1) they did not apply to many programs 2) they wanted to do a very competitive specialty like radiology or surgery or 3) they failed the Step 1 or 2.

But for those of us who perhaps are only interested in Family medicine or Internal medicine, is it really that unlikely to match? I guess I keep reading all of these messages on this forum that make it seem like med school in the Caribbean is the worst option…Ok, it is not guaranteed, but nothing is. There are still people in the US and Canada who do not match. Of course the number is a lot lower, but it does still happen. All I know, is that I am from Canada, and an SGU grad interviewed me who matched in Vancouver. I have plenty of friends who went to UBC medical school, which is BC's only med school and a great school, who couldn't even match in Vancouver..

Can someone who actually has stats from what percentage of SGU grads match maybe shed the light on the situation.

I guess my point is if you went to SGU and actually want to do family med, peds or internal, work your but off, and apply to tons of residency programs, are you really that unlikely to match? I know spots are getting tighter each year for IMG's, but I can't believe it is as grim as everyone on these forums make it sound like. Everyone I know that has gone abroad to med school has been successful at matching. I agree that they haven't matched in surgery or another competitive specialty, but most of them didn't want to do that.

Alright I can answer all of your concerns.
First thing to understand is that SGU is a for-profit school. Tuition is very expensive and living on the island itself is very expensive. The majority of students here are from the US (NY, NJ and CA) but we also have quite a few people from Canada. The class size is rising because more people equal more money. The August entering class is now around 800-850 and the January around 500. Being a for-profit school, SGU does its best to make sure its students do well on the USMLE and match into competitive residencies because these are what people like you and I look for. One way that they do this is by making the passing mark higher than any US school. Currently passing is a 75% but expect in the next year or 2 to see that go up to 77%. If you're wondering how they get these numbers just think of it as a statistical game...they match GPAs with USMLE scores and adjust the GPA so that they can reach their goal. Last year the mean USMLE score at SGU was 234. Now what you want to know... the attrition rate at SGU is around 10% (these are the people who never graduate and fail out). As far as the match goes...you be the judge. SGU posts all their residency placements on the website, just do a quick google search. The match rate is 88% and every year their placements get better and better. EM, diagnostic radiology and anesthesiology matches have been climbing each year. Obviously the bulk of school matches into Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Family medicine or Internal Medicine. The match results are the most impressive out of any of the Caribbean schools, but do understand that being an IMG is absolutely a disadvantage. Your fate in medical school is completely up to you. If you get straight A's and do well on the step you should be able to get into most specialties in a desirable location. If you are at the bottom of the class and do below par on the USMLE then you have to accept the fields available to you. Although the match statistics look good for a Caribbean school do note that out of 1000+ matches you usually only see a couple in ortho, maybe one in neurosurgery. You do normally see matches in rad-onc, ENT, or plastics.

Just to also answer the original post. If you were accepted into SGU it would be smart to come here. Better facilities and match statistics will make your life easier.

Hey man. I made an account just so I could post this. I know these forums are excessively anti-Caribbean and after reading it for a while it becomes easy to just ignore it all. I was in the same boat as you when I was applying to the Caribbean. Felt like everyone was saying it was the worst idea ever, despite what a lot of people who were attending/attended a Caribbean school said. But there is one thing SDN is absolutely certainly right about: getting into a school in the states will make your life INCREDIBLY easier. It's easier not simply just in matching (which is SIGNIFICANTLY easier), but in rotating in hospitals (most carib schools need you to move around the states), travel costs (the islands SUCK so most people head home during breaks), as well as general livelihood (again, islands SUCK).

Your stats are pretty good, and if you got your MCAT up to whatever is considered 30+ in the new version, you have a fighting chance of getting into a US MD school and a really good chance of getting a DO. There are a ton of study guides online, and you wont need to study for more than a few months. My gpa was a 3.0 and following the SDN2ED schedule I got a 36, so 30+ is very doable. I understand you don't want to lose a whole year, but a large portion of carib grads don't finish on time anyway, so you might end up losing that year regardless.

One more thing, this again is anecdotal, but most of those who have 4.0 gpas at my school have really good MCAT scores, and those that fail out usually have low 20s. I am not saying you will fail out, but the MCAT is a really good predictor of success in the Caribbean, and an alright predictor of success on Step 1.

All I am trying to say is, as a current Caribbean student, don't come down here if you don't have to, and with your stats you definitely don't have to.

Hey man. I made an account just so I could post this. I know these forums are excessively anti-Caribbean and after reading it for a while it becomes easy to just ignore it all. I was in the same boat as you when I was applying to the Caribbean. Felt like everyone was saying it was the worst idea ever, despite what a lot of people who were attending/attended a Caribbean school said. But there is one thing SDN is absolutely certainly right about: getting into a school in the states will make your life INCREDIBLY easier. It's easier not simply just in matching (which is SIGNIFICANTLY easier), but in rotating in hospitals (most carib schools need you to move around the states), travel costs (the islands SUCK so most people head home during breaks), as well as general livelihood (again, islands SUCK).

Your stats are pretty good, and if you got your MCAT up to whatever is considered 30+ in the new version, you have a fighting chance of getting into a US MD school and a really good chance of getting a DO. There are a ton of study guides online, and you wont need to study for more than a few months. My gpa was a 3.0 and following the SDN2ED schedule I got a 36, so 30+ is very doable. I understand you don't want to lose a whole year, but a large portion of carib grads don't finish on time anyway, so you might end up losing that year regardless.

One more thing, this again is anecdotal, but most of those who have 4.0 gpas at my school have really good MCAT scores, and those that fail out usually have low 20s. I am not saying you will fail out, but the MCAT is a really good predictor of success in the Caribbean, and an alright predictor of success on Step 1.

All I am trying to say is, as a current Caribbean student, don't come down here if you don't have to, and with your stats you definitely don't have to.

Finally someone posting that isn't just using emotions to make a post. Thanks for taking the time to write a well-reasoned response. Good luck in your future.

why would u go carribean if u got 36 MCAT???

Hey dude. Honestly speaking here, I really appreciate your advice. It's the most clear-cut words I've read on this forum thus far.

I want to tell you, though, that it's been almost 8 Months since making my original post . Since then, I made the decision to move to Grenada and ATTEND SGU, and try my best with the incoming January 2015 class. I heard all the advice, whether negative or positive. Regardless of US medical or SGU, the curriculum is absolutely grueling. Everyday was a new journey and forcibly submitting to the gavage of information that was jammed down our throats daily. I woke up everyday, absolutely excited, to start a new adventure the day had for me. Hell, I was given an opportunity to succeed and continue my pursuit of medicine, and finished pretty damn good. Like, pretty DAMN good. People on this forum told me that my mcat scores will reflect on my exams and moreover my USMLE, that I'll fail. Well, I can't speak on the USMLE just yet, but given that my WMP was hovering around 90% for term-1, I've become even more confident in my abilities. Been offered to tutor DES (Biochem or Anatomy), but I chose to stick to my guns and let this ride. Don't want to be too overwhelmed at this point.

You see, SDN doesn't give credit to the people like me. The ones that have realized the error of their ways and have become more driven through their journey, that just needed their opportunity to shine. Now I can only say that I've completed one semester at SGU, but I have NEVER been happier in my life. Everyday I'm living my dream, continuing my journey, and success is greeting me, finally. Just this tiny taste of destroying term-1 (imho), has given me not only supreme confidence, but the ability to say f**K you to all the negative and condescending arses attempting to wreck my dreams through written words on an arbitrary forum! Viva le revolucion!! oops, got a little carried away with that one right there. eh hem, I can only speak for myself through this, but as you can tell I'm ready to tear a new one into term-2 (which begins Aug 11).

I challenge all those who want to speak negatively about SGU to continue to follow this forum. I also challenge those silent individuals who feel that this might be the right step for them (after exhausting US Med school options), to pursue your dreams. Remain confident in yourself. You'll always have a chip on your shoulder if you attend and succeed. I'll keep updating, just probably not during the semester since I'm in "business > pleasure" mode during those weeks.

#DontBelieveMeJustWatch

Last edited:
Hey dude. Honestly speaking here, I really appreciate your advice. It's the most clear-cut words I've read on this forum thus far. I want to tell you, though, that it's been almost 8 months since making my original post. Since then, I made the decision to move to Grenada and ATTEND SGU, and try my best with the incoming January 2015 class. I heard all the advice, whether negative or positive. Regardless of US medical or SGU, the curriculum is absolutely grueling. Everyday was a new journey and forcibly submitting to the gavage of information that was jammed down our throats daily. I woke up everyday, absolutely excited, to start a new adventure the day had for me. Hell, I was given an opportunity to succeed and continue my pursuit of medicine, and finished pretty damn good. Like, pretty DAMN good. So yes, my subpar MCAT wasn't a great score (21), that was before, this is now. People on this forum told me that my mcat scores will reflect on my exams and moreover my USMLE, that I'll fail. Well, I can't speak on the USMLE just yet, but given that my WMP was hovering around 90% for term-1, I've become even more confident in my abilities. Been offered to tutor DES (Biochem or Anatomy), but I chose to stick to my guns and let this ride. Don't want to be too overwhelmed at this point. You see, SDN doesn't give credit to the people like me. The ones that have realized the error of their ways and have become more driven through their journey, that just needed their opportunity to shine. Now I can only say that I've completed one semester at SGU, but I have NEVER been happier in my life. Everyday I'm living my dream, continuing my journey, and success is greeting me, finally. Just this tiny taste of destroying term-1 (imho), has given me not only supreme confidence, but the ability to say f**K you to all the negative and condescending arses attempting to wreck my dreams through written words on an arbitrary forum! Viva le revolucion!! oops, got a little carried away with that one right there. eh hem, I can only speak for myself through this, but as you can tell I'm ready to tear a new one into term-2 (which begins Aug 11). I challenge all those who want to speak negatively about SGU to continue to follow this forum. I also challenge those silent individuals who feel that this might be the right step for them (after exhausting US Med school options), to pursue your dreams. Remain confident in yourself. You'll always have a chip on your shoulder if you attend and succeed. I'll keep updating, just probably not during the semester since I'm in "business > pleasure" mode during those weeks.

#DontBelieveMeJustWatch

One thing is for sure, they don't teach the concept of being humble there.

One thing is for sure, they don't teach the concept of being humble there.

Experiences do, it's a matter of time.

It's not like no one is successful in the Caribbean. I'm willing to give him a fair chance to see how it goes. It's still too early to call anything yet.

Greeting my people! Term-2.....in the books. Neuro, Physio, MIMG (taught horribly this term imho), all done. Bioethics, and CPM, completed the first few weeks of term-2. We just had our BSCE's a few days ago, all the grades are released, and I'm very happy and eager to say that I did really well this term. I didn't make IEP, but I didn't get one C either. Physio, being my best class. I hope you are doing well after such a long time, I believe the last post was an update after term-1 was completed. Now, first YEAR of medical school is complete. It's overwhelming at moments, especially knowing that my friends are passing on with me.

After being on this island for a year now, I can honestly say that I get what people were saying about SGU being a ****ty school. But when it comes to the curriculum, the standards to where they hold us professionally, and to putting our butts in 5th gear all semester, they are wonderful. Great teachers, great curriculum and preparation for the USMLE's. They suck major balls in the department of caring for their students (just my opinion). I have had MANY friends decel a semester, and many friends kicked out after 1st term, and again 2nd term, never to return, and in some serious financial debt. They really hold no bounds when it comes to missing a mark by a point, or 0.1%, you're either deceling, or your're kicked out. It's harsh, it's grueling, and it's f**king scary thinking about it, but like I said almost a year ago when I first posted on this forum, "don't believe me just watch." I've been greeted with much success through all of SGU's difficult classes, and surprisingly did very well on my BSCE's, considering it was 2 days after our last final and we had no time to prepare for it.

It's humbling indeed, preparing for OSCE's with your PD kit in hand, "am I going to use the fundoscope to check for retinopathy for the diabetic patient? Do I have enough time? Do I look at the patient and say 'We're ganna have some FUN using the FUNdoscope?'" It's all challenging and so much fun, waking up every single morning, knowing that I'm living out my dreams! I feel that SGU has placed me in a very good position to meet more success as my second year approaches with Pathology (yayy) and Micro, and especially going into my rotations, which are arriving faster than I expected. I feel that I've gained the confidence through this first year to be very comfortable going into my USMLE's and crushing the exam, placing myself in better position to obtain the residency of my dreams.

I'm living proof, so far, that as long as you go into SGU with a strong mentality, and a willingness to succeed, that you can definitely make it out a success. The one thing that can be tricky about SGU is the temptations of being on an island and having the Banana's bar up the road to you, and your entire term is going to relax on a weekend night, or two. So long you can keep yourself on track, make the CORRECT FRIENDS (can't stress this enough), you will be a certain success. Understanding how to conceptualize difficult concepts and ask the same question from various vantage points will prepare you well for their exams, studying the material verbatim isn't merely enough. It's not undergrad.

I'm sitting in my dorm room, waiting for my flight out of here back home to Cali, my roommates are gone and it feels like a ghost town here right now. I decided to update in hopes that anyone that was following this, to always keep your dreams alive. You will become a star, just keep grinding away at the mountain top, keep building new rungs to your latter to success, if you feel that you've reached the top, build more rungs. There is no top. I wish everyone the best on their endeavors, current and future. I am thankful for anyone who has payed attention to these, and am proud to be a second year medical student attending St. George's University, the school that pushed my career into the sky, now onto the stars.

#DontBelieveMeJustWatch

Last edited:
Greeting my people! Term-2...

Glad to hear you're doing well. There can be a lot of ups-and-downs in medical school. Enjoy the wins when you get them, use them to pump yourself up for the next hurdle in your path, and don't get complacent.

And for the love of Odin please format your posts into paragraphs in the future.

Glad to hear you're doing well. There can be a lot of ups-and-downs in medical school. Enjoy the wins when you get them, use them to pump yourself up for the next hurdle in your path, and don't get complacent.

And for the love of Odin please format your posts into paragraphs in the future.

I just wrote all that on a whim, I didn't even know my post looked like an overwhelming mountain to climb, I even got bored reading it lol. Tried making it more reader friendly, and moreover try not to confuse happiness with complacency. I'm excited that I've found this type of success, I'm excited that I've made some great friends who push me forward in this career, and I'm excited to post onto SDN and show people that I'm making it. Hopefully it will motivate others who have the drive and motivation to make it, but couldn't make it to a US medical school, to pursue their dreams. Almost 35% of my original starting class aren't in my term anymore, a lot have failed, deceled, or are back home practicing for their MMA careers or founded religion again on a deeper scale, these are the one's who speak out against SGU so profoundly online and berate the **** out of it. I'm here to show the brighter side, the side I rarely see on SDN, and I'm happy and excited about it, not complacent. My motivation remains higher than ever after my first year at St. George's University SOM, I hope to greet success after every semester and ultimately throughout my medical journey. Goodluck to you all, and for the one's that have made it...I only hope to be your colleague someday.

Last edited: