Please help. VERY bad freshman year. Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbm94087

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current first year in college, and the title pretty much says it all. I've always wanted to be a doctor. Ive grown up in a family full of them, so it's always been a dream of mine, and I'm very good and passionate in the sciences. I came into freshman year fully ready to tackle it. I felt like this semester would be a breeze, (Taking precalc, gen chem 1/lab, psych 1, seminar on molecules, dance appreciation) but boy was I wrong. I'm a student athlete at my school, so my practice schedule basically took up my entire life 6 days a week for 5.5 hours. I would stay up until 4:30-5 am every night studying. I failed the first chem test miserably, and this resulted in a strong depression in which I wouldn't sleep and lived and breathed chemistry. My boyfriend broke up with me because he couldn't take my obsession for studying chemistry. This furthered my depression. Eventually I started making A's in everything in chem, which means I'll end up with a C, but because I concentrated so much on chem I am failing my math class. I'm not the best at math, nevertheless I dropped back to college algebra, and the class was much harder than I thought. With my minimal effort, I've failed every single test. This is a huge shot to myself because I just don't know what to do anymore. What will med schools think of me when I've failed the most basic math class and got a C in chem 1? I wouldn't be worth it. I still have the overbearing passion and drive to become a doctor, but I can't live with this embarrassment of my first semester of college. It has been terrible. Next semester I am taking Chem 2, bio 2, a psych class, and a required anthro class, and I've pretty much decided that I will be fully dedicated to my studies. I'm at the point that I'm constantly chanting that I WILL be an A student again next semester. I just can't get over the fact that this semester may have completely ruined my future. I really need help and/or encouragement to decide what to do with my life.

Edit: first semester my sport is full commitment, second semester is half commitment

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One semester won't ruin your future. There are lots of doctors out there who had a bad semester. Your cGPA over your entire degree matters the most.

It sounds like you have too many commitments (athletics) and should probably consider devoting more time to your studies. You're sacrificing the future for the present.