Please help with the admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldinthedirt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am planning on taking my MCAT January 2017. I've been doing volunteer work and research while keeping my GPA high (3.91). I go to a state school and students here are looking to apply for state medical schools instead of trying to apply for prestigious schools (US News Top 20). Any suggestion in making my application stand out amongst competitive geniuses? Any marks I should pass in MCAT, GPA, etc? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get at least around 514ish. If you want to go to a top program for whatever reason, make sure your grades in science classes stay the way they are (mostly As and a B here and there). Try to get a publication out of your research and keep on going the way you are. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Try to get at least around 514ish. If you want to go to a top program for whatever reason, make sure your grades in science classes stay the way they are (mostly As and a B here and there). Try to get a publication out of your research and keep on going the way you are. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you!!
Do you happen to know a great way to et clinical experiences? Most of my volunteer works are not hands on interaction with patients. Also, what do you think about international volunteer programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!
Do you happen to know a great way to et clinical experiences? Most of my volunteer works are not hands on interaction with patients. Also, what do you think about international volunteer programs?
Good evening,

If you want to stand out from the rest, you need to be a well-rounded applicant. You're a student representing a minority in medicine. What better way to stick out than by working with underserved communities. Volunteer trips are OK BUT many ADCOMS see this as voluntourism. Many applicants go on these trips and write about the culture shock. Take it a step further. Think outside of the box and one thing I truly value is being INNOVATIVE. By being innovative you show that you're a leader, and all medical schools want minority leaders! So keep your grades up, continue to do non-clinical volunteering and try to get clinical volunteering. I'd recommend doing some sort of EMR or EMT program or possibly getting your CNA (not difficult nor time consuming). And alas, the MCAT. If you score above a 507 you should be competitive at all schools granted you continue working hard and showing commitment to your community.

Good evening,

If you want to stand out from the rest, you need to be a well-rounded applicant. You're a student representing a minority in medicine. What better way to stick out than by working with underserved communities. Volunteer trips are OK BUT many ADCOMS see this as voluntourism. Many applicants go on these trips and write about the culture shock. Take it a step further. Think outside of the box and one thing I truly value is being INNOVATIVE. By being innovative you show that you're a leader, and all medical schools want minority leaders! So keep your grades up, continue to do non-clinical volunteering and try to get clinical volunteering. I'd recommend doing some sort of EMR or EMT program or possibly getting your CNA (not difficult nor time consuming). And alas, the MCAT. If you score above a 507 you should be competitive at all schools granted you continue working hard and showing commitment to your community.

Thank you so much for you kind reply! I am currently hoping to get more exposure to patient/doctor interaction, which means lots of phone calls to clinics and offices. I think CNA is not a good fit for my characteristic since I am super active and enjoy stress (I know, how lame). I was actually interested in EMT/Paramedic course like you mentioned. Wouldn't that bring up questions during my interview as to why I am choosing to switch routes to med school instead of continuing my career as a EMT? Not to mention the cost of the class and the time commitment :(

Thank you so much for you kind reply! I am currently hoping to get more exposure to patient/doctor interaction, which means lots of phone calls to clinics and offices. I think CNA is not a good fit for my characteristic since I am super active and enjoy stress (I know, how lame). I was actually interested in EMT/Paramedic course like you mentioned. Wouldn't that bring up questions during my interview as to why I am choosing to switch routes to med school instead of continuing my career as a EMT? Not to mention the cost of the class and the time commitment :(
Not at all! It's all about how you present it. For me, I spoke about how working as an EMT exposed me to working in a high paced environment and taught me to be resourceful and work under stress. If you think of it that way, then ADCOMs would question everything you do! Like "Oh, you did yoga for fun? Why not do it as a career?" ADCOMs know you're doing it for clinical exposure so ultimately it's all about how you present yourself!

Not at all! It's all about how you present it. For me, I spoke about how working as an EMT exposed me to working in a high paced environment and taught me to be resourceful and work under stress. If you think of it that way, then ADCOMs would question everything you do! Like "Oh, you did yoga for fun? Why not do it as a career?" ADCOMs know you're doing it for clinical exposure so ultimately it's all about how you present yourself!

You are so right! I should look into that. I'm looking for different ways to get exposed besides volunteering at hospitals. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
You are so right! I should look into that. I'm looking for different ways to get exposed besides volunteering at hospitals. Thank you!
If your UG has a medical associated with it then check in with them. Many schools offer free health clinics for surrounding indigent populations and you may be able to get involved with that. Or look into Hospice

If your UG has a medical associated with it then check in with them. Many schools offer free health clinics for surrounding indigent populations and you may be able to get involved with that. Or look into Hospice

I am looking into free clinics and urgent care around my area! I hope to find one that wouldn't mind me peaking around and helping out :D