Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelsea FC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello i just wanted to ask if i should give up my hopes of going med school.. I have got a C in cell and molecular biology and a F in organic chemistry 2. I will be retaking organic chemistry and changing that F into a A.I also got a C in a English class some time back will this hurt my chances of getting into med school ?? I am a international student from the Caribbean (black). If i get a green card will that also increase my chances of getting into a medical school . My GPA will be a 3.6 by the end of the term

Members don't see this ad.

Wait how did you get an F. The mean you basically did nothing

Considering you got several C's and F, 3.6 GPA is certainly not as bad as it could have been.

How are other biology pre req courses? Are they all A's or B's, except this cell and molecular? If it's just one C among all those biology courses, maybe it is not that big of concern. I would focus more on getting a better grade on that organic chemistry as you already mentioned. That's unequivocally a must.

Did you take more English classes in addition to that C in a English class a while back? If your schedule is inflexible and very busy because of other ECs, I wouldn't retake English and cell/molecular. Since you need a year of English courses, try to ace the other English class instead and hopefully you can show you can do better.

Overall, It's somewhat debatable whether you should retake to change those 2 C's. If they are among a lot of A's and B's in your transcript, I personally don't think they will be a big deal especially since your overall GPA is 3.5+. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on this topic.

About the green card, yes, it increases your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait how did you get an F. The mean you basically did nothing

For some schools like mine, if you miss a certain number of orgo labs in a semester, you get an automatic F in both lab and class, regardless of how you did in the class or exams. So, it's certainly possible...

I have gotten B in bio 101 a A in Bio 102 and a B- in genetics i also achieved a A in organic chemistry . i have a B+ in algebra,B+ in pre calculus ,A- in calculus 1 and a A in calculus 2 i have A's for both Spanish 1 and 2 and a B- in my first English class along with a C in the second. I am also a black international student from the Caribbean does that hurt or helps my chances ??

I have gotten B in bio 101 a A in Bio 102 and a B- in genetics i also achieved a A in organic chemistry . i have a B+ in algebra,B+ in pre calculus ,A- in calculus 1 and a A in calculus 2 i have A's for both Spanish 1 and 2 and a B- in my first English class along with a C in the second. I am also a black international student from the Caribbean does that hurt or helps my chances ??

I am not sure about international students from the Caribbean. I'll let other people answer that for you.

Since they are only 2 C's you got, I really wouldn't retake them. Keep up your good work and try to get A's and B's from now on!

LOL whats wrong with Caribbean med schools ??? Ive seen some really good doctors who currently work in the USA that graduated from there. So those 2 C's and F (which i retake and turned into a A) wont ruin my chance in getting into med school ? and i heard recently that the fact that i am a black student from low economical background my chances of getting accepted are higher something about being a UIRM?? I dont really care about that because i want to work hard and earn my way into med school but could someone shed some light if this is true or not

LOL whats wrong with Caribbean med schools ??? Ive seen some really good doctors who currently work in the USA that graduated from there. So those 2 C's and F (which i retake and turned into a A) wont ruin my chance in getting into med school ? and i heard recently that the fact that i am a black student from low economical background my chances of getting accepted are higher something about being a UIRM?? I dont really care about that because i want to work hard and earn my way into med school but could someone shed some light if this is true or not

It's just harder to get into the US residencies, especially competitive ones, if you are from Caribbean med schools. I think that's what he meant there.

They won't ruin your chances. What will determine your chances is whether you will show adcoms that you can perform better academically by getting more A's and B's for future semesters.

I wouldn't start a whole discussion about URM (under-represented minority). Some people believe there's a URM advantage, while others don't believe so. There are so many other threads about this, so you should use a search button, research, and decide for yourself. But yes, working hard and earning your way into med school is the correct attitude and character that all pre-meds should have!

LOL whats wrong with Caribbean med schools ???

You're kicking a hornets nest here.

So those 2 C's and F (which i retake and turned into a A) wont ruin my chance in getting into med school ? and i heard recently that the fact that i am a black student from low economical background my chances of getting accepted are higher something about being a UIRM?? I dont really care about that because i want to work hard and earn my way into med school but could someone shed some light if this is true or not

Your chances are higher as a URM, but don't bank on that. As long as you're able to have a justifiable reason, I'm betting you'll be okay. People make mistakes.

Thanks alot!!! You have reasured me :).. But seriously whats wrong with caribbean med schools
??? And doesnt Cuba has some of the best doctors ??

Thanks alot!!! You have reasured me :).. But seriously whats wrong with caribbean med schools
??? And doesnt Cuba has some of the best doctors ??

I just saw that you're from the Caribbean.

Caribbean schools are terrible if you intend to practice in the US. That's the consensus. I'm sure if you intend to practice in the Caribbean you would be fine there. This forum consists primarily of people from the US who intend to practice in the US. That said, the idea of going to the caribbean for school is radioactive.

On a side note, I have heard that Cuban doctors are top notch, and their biomedical research is supposed to be fantastic. Being that this forum is primarily people from the US, we don't really have the option of applying to Cuban schools. Caribbean in our case refers to AUC, Ross, SABA, and SGU.

I just saw that you're from the Caribbean.

Caribbean schools are terrible if you intend to practice in the US. That's the consensus. I'm sure if you intend to practice in the Caribbean you would be fine there. This forum consists primarily of people from the US who intend to practice in the US. That said, the idea of going to the caribbean for school is radioactive.

On a side note, I have heard that Cuban doctors are top notch, and their biomedical research is supposed to be fantastic. Being that this forum is primarily people from the US, we don't really have the option of applying to Cuban schools. Caribbean in our case refers to AUC, Ross, SABA, and SGU.

Thanks alot i dont intend to go to a Caribbean school as well I was planning in getting into Stony Brook or SUNY Downstate Medical school.Im applying to have my green card so hopefully i will have that by time i apply. THANKS ALOT GUYS U JUST MADE MY DAY BETTER!!

lmao off at the 'Chelsea' persona getting an A in Ochem 1 and then straight up bombing Ochem 2. Ok 'Chelsea' :rolleyes: