Please help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoopeedoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted for anonymity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd start getting worried if I hadn't heard anything in a month or so.

I think you'll be ok. That unbalanced score isn't helping, but overall it's a good score (33) and everything I've heard says if you're gunna be unbalanced it's best to have PS be your lowest score. I'm sure you haven't heard because you're done with the MCAT, but the new MCAT is slamming PS: gen chem is going from ~17% of the total MCAT to 8.25%, while physics is going from ~17% to 6.25%. This is because the MCAT is becoming "more relevant" to medical school, which means soci and psych are added and 5% more questions will be on BS topics as opposed to 2014. Physics isn't relevant, and med schools know it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I am still so angry about my high school gpa factoring in. I worked my ass off in P. Chem to get As, and my C- in math my junior year of college is such a bummer.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're quite competitive, so quit fussing.

In addition, a number of schools look at the last 2-03 years of performance, so the F can be basically ignored.

So, invest in MSAR Online and apply strategically.

Start with USC, UCI and UCD.

Hi everybody,

I'm a sort of strange applicant.

My undergrad GPA is between 3.7 and 3.8 in science and in everything else, but due to my high school grades (college now credits) it falls at between 3.6 and 3.7 for cum and 3.5 and 3.6 for science.

33 mcat but 8-PS/13-Bio/12-Verbal

So really unbalanced.

Two research fellowships in two different labs (8000 dollars total). One from my school, one from the AHA.

Two posters at my school, one at a national meeting.

Clinical volunteering for 10 weeks abroad
One spring break trip abroad to do non clinical service
Lead one domestic spring break trip to do non clinical service
Homeless clinic volunteer- 200 hours
Hospital volunteering-70 hours
Triple major in biochemistry, biology, and physiology
Leader of a student group focused on global health issues for 3 years.

What are my chances?

I am sort of freaking out because I haven't heard back from anywhere even though I applied to twenty schools...

Located in California- home of the desperate pre-med.

Reactions: 1 user
You're quite competitive, so quit fussing.

In addition, a number of schools look at the last 2-03 years of performance, so the F can be basically ignored.

So, invest in MSAR Online and apply strategically.

Start with USC, UCI and UCD.

Thank you!!!

I will try to tone down the neurotic pre-med. : ) I had never heard of the 2-3 year rule. That is fantastic.

Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown
Albany
Tufts
Georgetown
Mayo
OHSU
Tulane
Temple
Arizona-Tuscon
UCSD
UCSF
UCI
UC Davis
UC Riverside
University of CO
University of Minnesota
UW
University of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt

Any thoughts? I have Oregon Heritage for OHSU because one of my parents lives there.

Goro suggets

Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Albany
Tufts
Georgetown
Tulane
Temple
Arizona-Tuscon
UCSD
USC
UCI
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
NYMC
Albany
The Philly triplets
Emory
Wake Forest
Tulane
U Miami
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loyola
BU
U CO
VCU
Hofstra
Va tech
EVMS

Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown
Albany
Tufts
Georgetown
Mayo
OHSU
Tulane
Temple
Arizona-Tuscon
UCSD
UCSF
UCI
UC Davis
UC Riverside
University of CO
University of Minnesota
UW
University of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt

Any thoughts? I have Oregon Heritage for OHSU because one of my parents lives there.
If you are considered IS for OR, I count 5, maybe 6 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. That is scanty for a CA applicant.