Please please please HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow SNDers!

I would like to hear some opinions on my situation. I have been a LONG time fan of this forum and I can not thank you all enough for all help and all the great tips and tricks I've learned from everyone here.

I just want to start out with a little background about myself. I wanted to go to dental school for as long as I can remember, but at some point life got in the way and I started to give up my dream. The first time I took the DAT was 2010 and my scores were all over the place. I got 20-23 on the sciences, mostly because I just finished taking all the classes in college, and got 14-18 on PAT, math & RC. I retook the DAT the next summer, when I graduated college and pretty much got the same exact scores. QR is and always will be my worst section, but I know its not THAT big of a deal. I think what was really hurting me was getting 14-15 on PAT.

I was rejected from all schools the first time and was waitlisted to NYU the second time and obviously didn't get in. At that point I started thinking of a plan B and decided I was not cut out for dental school and enrolled in a 15 month nursing program, which is not d=necessarily hard, just very fast paced. I am pretty much almost done, but through out the whole program I could not think about anything but GOING TO DENTAL SCHOOL!! So I decided to once again try and conquer the DAT.I knew exactly what I needed to do this time to Ace it. At first I was doing both, studying for the DAT and going to school. Once my summer semester was over I had about 3 solid weeks I could give my heart and soul to this test.. which I did.

HOWEVER... no matter how much I study and no matter how much I know the material, my major anxiety screws me up in any stressful situation that I'm in. Now I'm not making any excuses here.. but I definitely wasted a few minutes of my precious time during the test reminding myself to just BREATH...

So here are my scores:
PAT: 20
BIO: 19
Gchem: 18
Ochem: 19
RC: 18
QR: 16
TS: 19
AA: 18
s-GPA: 3.34
o-GPA: 3.45

I am very very happy with my PAT section, because that was a very difficult section for me and I spent 2-3 hours every single day practicing. I did so many questions, so many times I started to memorize the answers. I am very heartbroken about Ochem :( this is by far my favorite subject and I actually enjoy studying it. I spent wayyyyyy too much time on Gchem, trying to figure out those stupid pH questions and ended up having 18 min for the entire Ochem section and had to guess on like 7 questions. I could have easily gotten well in the 20s here. I am semi-happy because my scores are a little more consistent than they were before but I know they could & should be better.

Wow I am so sorry.. that is much longer than I expected...

But what do you guys think my chances are? My application was sent out end of July, which is probably not early but its not late.

Any feedback from you wonderful people would be GREATLY appreciated!! LOVE YOU ALL!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello my fellow SNDers!

I would like to hear some opinions on my situation. I have been a LONG time fan of this forum and I can not thank you all enough for all help and all the great tips and tricks I've learned from everyone here.

I just want to start out with a little background about myself. I wanted to go to dental school for as long as I can remember, but at some point life got in the way and I started to give up my dream. The first time I took the DAT was 2010 and my scores were all over the place. I got 20-23 on the sciences, mostly because I just finished taking all the classes in college, and got 14-18 on PAT, math & RC. I retook the DAT the next summer, when I graduated college and pretty much got the same exact scores. QR is and always will be my worst section, but I know its not THAT big of a deal. I think what was really hurting me was getting 14-15 on PAT.

I was rejected from all schools the first time and was waitlisted to NYU the second time and obviously didn't get in. At that point I started thinking of a plan B and decided I was not cut out for dental school and enrolled in a 15 month nursing program, which is not d=necessarily hard, just very fast paced. I am pretty much almost done, but through out the whole program I could not think about anything but GOING TO DENTAL SCHOOL!! So I decided to once again try and conquer the DAT.I knew exactly what I needed to do this time to Ace it. At first I was doing both, studying for the DAT and going to school. Once my summer semester was over I had about 3 solid weeks I could give my heart and soul to this test.. which I did.

HOWEVER... no matter how much I study and no matter how much I know the material, my major anxiety screws me up in any stressful situation that I'm in. Now I'm not making any excuses here.. but I definitely wasted a few minutes of my precious time during the test reminding myself to just BREATH...

So here are my scores:
PAT: 20
BIO: 19
Gchem: 18
Ochem: 19
RC: 18
QR: 16
TS: 19
AA: 18
s-GPA: 3.34
o-GPA: 3.45

I am very very happy with my PAT section, because that was a very difficult section for me and I spent 2-3 hours every single day practicing. I did so many questions, so many times I started to memorize the answers. I am very heartbroken about Ochem :( this is by far my favorite subject and I actually enjoy studying it. I spent wayyyyyy too much time on Gchem, trying to figure out those stupid pH questions and ended up having 18 min for the entire Ochem section and had to guess on like 7 questions. I could have easily gotten well in the 20s here. I am semi-happy because my scores are a little more consistent than they were before but I know they could & should be better.

Wow I am so sorry.. that is much longer than I expected...

But what do you guys think my chances are? My application was sent out end of July, which is probably not early but its not late.

Any feedback from you wonderful people would be GREATLY appreciated!! LOVE YOU ALL!! :love:
I agree.

Those fast-track BSN programs are both physically and mentally consuming; also time consuming as well. Try to get into ICU or ER if you pursue your contingency plan instead.:thumbup:

LIKEWISE!!:love: