please please please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strive01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a 3.95 GPA.. i have tons of extracirrculars.. some pretty high honors like phi beta kappa and 8 strong letters of rec.. but i just got my mcat scores an they are 6 VR/9PS/11BS.. I have NO IDEA what happened in verbal.. i did so well on my prac tests.. 10s on most of them! i dont know what happened.. can i still get into any MD schools that will accept my 6 VR?

can someone please give me some insight?! i feel so lost. are there any md schools that would take me? can you suggest a few please?

Members don't see this ad.

You can try applying, but you should be prepared to find something to do in case you do not get into an MD school. Perhaps plan to take a January MCAT next year, as well, so you can bump up that score. Many schools simply will not enjoy the 6V, unfortunately, and you'll shoot yourself in the foot if you decide to take the MCAT and delay your application until late October.

If you look at the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum, and scroll right to the bottom tenth percentile for VS column, you will see there are a handful of schools at the bottom of the page that list a 6 or lower, and all but UNew Mexico are traditionally special-population-based med schools. Unless you are a member of one of those groups, or have ties to New Mexico I think you have little chance of an acceptance this cycle and should start your planning for an MCAT retake. Sorry.