About the ads

Please share your lifestyle....

Discussion in 'Podiatric Residents & Physicians' started by emailnumber, Aug 28, 2007.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. emailnumber

emailnumber

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi, I was just wondering on about what kind of a life style podiatrists in residency lead. So all you podiatrists and podiatric surgeons in residency please share your lifestyle with us. Tell us how many hours you work, if you have a family, if you do any social work/volunteering, and of course. if you dont mind. how much you are earning (after taxes). Please feel free to add anything else that you think will be useful to future podiatrists.
  2. jonwill

jonwill SDN Senior Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Podiatrist SDN 7+ Year Member
    It depends on the day and week. As a first year, I am currently on podiatry. Some days, I am here 16 hours. Other days, I am here 8. It depends on in-patient load, surgical schedule, and how many calls you get (ER). Some days are extremely busy. When I am off call, I cover cases and go home. But as a first year, I take a lot of call. Your schedule while on off-rotations varies as well. This is all very program dependent. There are programs out there that will have you done by 3PM daily. It all depends on where you end up.

I have a wife and three kids (5, 3, 4months). A few weeks ago, I worked 85 hours. Last week, I worked 55. Some days, I see my family while other days, I really don't.

After taxes, I take home about $1500 a check.
  3. cool_vkb

cool_vkb Member

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    $1500:confused:. i thought residencies pay like $36k-44K.
  4. NatCh

NatCh Senior Moment

Podiatrist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    $1500 twice per month = $3000

$3000 x 12 months = $36K
  5. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest

Podiatry Student
    And that is after taxes, pay is listed as a gross income (before taxes) which would probably about:

$2000 X 2 = $4000 X 12 = $48K
  6. jonwill

Attending Physician

Yea, but some months we get paid twice and some months we get paid 3 times. It is easier to do 26 X 1500 = 39,000 (we get paid 26 times in 52 weeks). I think my gross is like $44,000.
  7. oncogene

oncogene Senior Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I bet it just feels nice getting a decent income after 4 years of nothing.:thumbup:
  8. jonwill

Attending Physician
    Yes it is! And on those long days, I quickly remind myself that it is paying my mortgage and feeding my family.