Please share your wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefwigum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to dental school this summer, having just finished my master's in a biomedical sciences program at a medical school. I have a good GPA from this program, where I took graduate level biology classes. I also have a competitive DAT score. I have a ton of shadowing experience, and currently work as a dental assistant.

My problem is that my undergrad gpa isn't so hot. I have retaken some of the pre-requisite chemistry classes, while finishing my master's, and did really well the second time around. However, I do have a C- in a cell biology class from sophomore year. I am not able to retake this, because I am 4 hours away from the college I took it at, and the universities near me do not offer a similar class. I do have other bio classes that allow me to meet the requirements.

Since this was so long ago, and I have done much better in harder classes, am I safe to forget about it? Will it matter to admissions, or should I do everything possible to find a place to take a cell biology class?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying to dental school this summer, having just finished my master's in a biomedical sciences program at a medical school. I have a good GPA from this program, where I took graduate level biology classes. I also have a competitive DAT score. I have a ton of shadowing experience, and currently work as a dental assistant.

My problem is that my undergrad gpa isn't so hot. I have retaken some of the pre-requisite chemistry classes, while finishing my master's, and did really well the second time around. However, I do have a C- in a cell biology class from sophomore year. I am not able to retake this, because I am 4 hours away from the college I took it at, and the universities near me do not offer a similar class. I do have other bio classes that allow me to meet the requirements.

Since this was so long ago, and I have done much better in harder classes, am I safe to forget about it? Will it matter to admissions, or should I do everything possible to find a place to take a cell biology class?

If you have a pretty solid GPA from your masters and great DAT scores, I'm sure you'll be fine. Re-taking some classes was a good idea, but I don't think you need to retake every single class you didn't do so well in. I think a great masters GPA will beat a bad grade from one biology class.

I don't know your specific numbers, but it sounds like you're good to go. :)

you'll probably be fine. As long as the master's GPA is significantly higher, I think you'll have a shot. apply to many schools and OOS just to be safe!

Members don't see this ad :)

What's the actual GPA? then we can talk turkey.

I'm saying this because it's your first post, even though you may have read a variety of threads on this forum...

Giving out numbers allows people to give you better advice. But remember to get a variety of opinions (esp if they're coming from pre dents, because there are some "interesting" people here) and to take SDN advice with a grain of salt. :)

I'm saying this because it's your first post, even though you may have read a variety of threads on this forum...

Giving out numbers allows people to give you better advice. But remember to get a variety of opinions (esp if they're coming from pre dents, because there are some "interesting" people here) and to take SDN advice with a grain of salt. :)

echo echo echo...

Yup dont listen to everyone on here some people dont add value.

Yup but not everyone adds value hint hint

Members don't see this ad :)
...Anyways, bumping this so the OP can get advice.

Last edited:
OP please provide some GPA info to see where you stand.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help.

My grad GPA is a 3.25, it doesn't sound spectacular, but its all B's and B+'s. All of these classes are graduate level biology classes.This will only improve as I finish the year. I assume I will be applying with a 3.3.

My undergrad is a 2.77 (cringe), before retaking any classes. My sgpa is slightly higher at 2.8-2.9. I am currenly retaking three 4 credit undergraduate classes, in which I expect to get A's.

My PAT score is a 21, and my aa is a 19. I will be retaking this though, because it expired while I was in grad school. I know I can do just as well, and hopefully better, judging by practice tests I have taken.

This is a little tougher situation than I gathered from your first post. Your grad GPA is just OK and your DAT is acceptable but won't wow anyone. With your undergrad GPA and SGPA to me it appears you are a fringe candidate as it stands right now (meaning it could go either way, depending on where you apply).

When you re-take your DAT I think it will be important you do at the very least as well but hopefully better. There are so many good resources available that I am sure you will be able to with hard work.

Good luck!

My grad GPA is a 3.25, it doesn't sound spectacular, but its all B's and B+'s. All of these classes are graduate level biology classes.This will only improve as I finish the year. I assume I will be applying with a 3.3.

My undergrad is a 2.77 (cringe), before retaking any classes. My sgpa is slightly higher at 2.8-2.9. I am currenly retaking three 4 credit undergraduate classes, in which I expect to get A's.

My PAT score is a 21, and my aa is a 19. I will be retaking this though, because it expired while I was in grad school. I know I can do just as well, and hopefully better, judging by practice tests I have taken.

Thanks, but about the cell bio class... worth doing anything about?

Thanks, but about the cell bio class... worth doing anything about?

I am not sure. My best guess would be that if you have taken extensive bio classes beyond Cell Bio (which you have) that retaking a cell bio course won't make much difference. Since it sounds like it would be a major inconvenience for you to take the class, I am not sure the reward is worth the hassle. You should ask a school you are interested in though.

Also, if cell bio is a requirement at any school you are applying to, you will probably need to retake it as you need a C or better in all pre-reqs as far as I know.

I agree with white fang, in that you shouldn't inconvenience yourself that much to take a cell biology class. Taking or not taking this one class is not going impact your GPA that much compared to all of the classes you have taken so far and are taking now.

Your grad GPA is alright, but nothing "impressive" for dental schools. Usually a 3.5+ is a solid masters GPA. But don't lose hope. If you can bring up your science GPA to at least a 3.0, that can improve your chances. Retake the DAT and aim for 21+ on all sections.

Good luck

Schools can look at the total GPA and at the separate ugrad GPA and Masters GPA. Obv oGPA matters more but retake it and try to get a 20 or above to get yourself in a better shape. You'll have to apply broadly and to a lot of private schools like NYU, Tufts, USC, etc. to ensure a chance to get in.