PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Idaho and I really like PNWU...but I am a little put off by the $175 secondary fee...am I the only one who thinks that's excessive and more likely to turn students away?

Anyone get an invite for the secondary?

I'm from Idaho and I really like PNWU...but I am a little put off by the $175 secondary fee...am I the only one who thinks that's excessive and more likely to turn students away?

Hola fellow Idahoan,

I agree, definitely a turn-off. I think the secondary fee has actually went up 25 bucks from previous years. But I suppose it is a small price to stay in the NW.

Trolling the boards during this time last year, PNWU was definitely a latecomer to the secondaries/interviews, so don't hold your breath.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats on getting an early start. My opinion might be a little biased since I will be heading to PNWU in a few weeks! But I concur with how you feel about the secondary fee. It ALMOST made it so I didn't even bother to apply. But boy am I glad I did! The question you might want to ask yourself is is the $175 such a big deal if it gets you a chance to attend the school that is the perfect fit for you? Especially if you want to stay in the PNW. I wanted so badly to stay in the PNW and ended up LOVING the school when I interviewed, so it all worked out.

Oh, and the secondary app fee hasn't gone up. It was $175 the last application cycle, too.

is it worth applying at all from out of region? Im from PA, and went to undergrad in CO but would love to be out west for school.

Also, the AACOMAS lists the Cali and Oregon branches as separate schools to apply to individually, but the descriptions in the AACOM handbook have them in the same school description. Are they the same school? Can I apply to one and not the other out of state/region? Any help is appreciated, Im about to push the button on my app today.

Thanks

Last edited:
Also, the AACOMAS lists the Cali and Oregon branches as separate schools to apply to individually, but the descriptions in the AACOM handbook have them in the same school description. Are they the same school? Can I apply to one and not the other out of state/region? Any help is appreciated, Im about to push the button on my app today.

Thanks

I think you might be confusing PNWU with COMP. PNWU operates as a sole entity without any other affiliations.

Kinda wishin' I didn't spend the 35 bucks to apply here... Oh well I guess I will give it a shot in Dec anyways.

I don't see the big deal, its not like they hide their mission. Yes, they heavily favor the Pacific Northwest...if you're suprised by this you should probably do a bit more research to the places you're applying.

Don't be suprised when you get something similar from OSU, or even PCOM when/if you applied here.

Also, people not in the NW do get in, just like OOS students get into OSU.

Priority processing is being given to applicants from the Pacific Northwest until December 1st. You will receive instructions to complete a PNWU-COM supplemental application on or after December 1st.

Feel free to contact the PNWU Admissions Office at * or [email protected], if you have any questions"

So it seems that anyone who wants to attend their school outside of the pacific northwest need not apply. Not to mention their secondary is $175.

I would say that the school definitely encourages students from the NW to apply but doesn't rule out all other applicants. We have quite a few students from other states but the one thing that helps a lot is if you have significant ties to the northwest. If you've gone to school here, have family here, have a family yourself and are relocating to be near family, have lived here, grew up here, etc etc. Every case is looked at individually and I definitely would not be discouraged to apply if this is where I wanted to end up. The $175 is a small price to pay to make sure you're going to be getting an education that you want when you're going to be investing hundreds of thousands of dollars into. I personally am from the northwest and didn't even apply until after December so do not think that you don't have a chance after that date either.

Also, my take on the $175, you will know that the students around you for the most part REALLY wanted to be at this school also instead of just applying everywhere and going to any school they were accepted at.

Word has it that the ground has been broken on the new building. Any news on when this will be complete?

Just got my first rejection from here :(

Oh well, I thought they would wait for my mcat score but they didn't.

Good Luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get a secondary invite from PNWU?

Anyone get a secondary invite from PNWU?

yeah i got the secondary but I have been submitted to schools since early June. Also if you are not from the northwest they send you an email saying they will send you a secondary in december after they have looked at people from the northwest.

Been a little over 2 weeks since my primary went out to them and haven't heard anything yet. About how long was the turn around time from primary->secondary?

I am faculty and we interviewed a fair number of out of state applicants who wanted to come to the pacific Northwest for various reasons, including family as well as personal. I recommend stating the reason you wish to pursue a career in the PNW and if you are relocating because your family lives there...note it.
This is the response I got from PNUCOM

"Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) has received your primary application. Thank you for your interest, we are pleased you have selected PNWU - College of Osteopathic Medicine as one of your choices for pursuing your health professions training. Please visit our website to view the catalog and other program information.

Priority processing is being given to applicants from the Pacific Northwest until December 1st. You will receive instructions to complete a PNWU-COM supplemental application on or after December 1st.

Feel free to contact the PNWU Admissions Office at * or [email protected], if you have any questions"

So it seems that anyone who wants to attend their school outside of the pacific northwest need not apply. Not to mention their secondary is $175.

Thats true, I'm from Utah and got the "wait until December" email. I sent them an email explaining my wife and her family are from Oregon and we are planning on staying in the pacific northwest. The next day they replied with and invite for the supplemental application. So for all of you out there who have ties the PNW, or even want to stay up there for your carrier send them an email explaining your situation. Or even call, the people I have talked to so far are super nice.

Also, I sent in my application and letters July 7th and they just updated my application check list today to show they received everything. Just putting that out there if anybody was in the same situation.

Got my secondary invite today. Anyone notice on the email it says 70 students not 75...anyone know if they are downsizing the classes or if this is a typo?

For those that are OOS or who haven't received their secondary yet and want to get the questions out of the way...(rough translation)

1. Why Osteopathic Medicine
2. Who inspired you to pursue Osteopathic Medicine
3. Why PNWU

Congratulations on the invite mlt

Still frustrated that I haven't received one yet, especially since I wanted to get a headstart on this one as early as possible since I'm also from the northwest and I did receive a secondary from them last cycle.

Congratulations on the invite mlt

Still frustrated that I haven't received one yet, especially since I wanted to get a headstart on this one as early as possible since I'm also from the northwest and I did receive a secondary from them last cycle.
I spoke with the admissions staff a couple of weeks ago, and they had stated that they were going to start reviewing the primary apps and start sending out secondaries in August...perhaps the lack of secondaries is due to their busy schedules.

I spoke with the admissions staff a couple of weeks ago, and they had stated that they were going to start reviewing the primary apps and start sending out secondaries in August...perhaps the lack of secondaries is due to their busy schedules.
The lack of secondaries is due to the incoming class of 2014 and getting everything started for them (I am one of them). Admissions will start focusing on those applications starting next week.

Also in response to those outside of the region. they do aim to take those from the northwest, or those that are interested in moving out and practicing out in the northwest. There are people from PA, VA, CA, MIN, etc. So don't be discouraged.

Also the new building should be finished in 6 months

The lack of secondaries is due to the incoming class of 2014 and getting everything started for them (I am one of them). Admissions will start focusing on those applications starting next week.

Also in response to those outside of the region. they do aim to take those from the northwest, or those that are interested in moving out and practicing out in the northwest. There are people from PA, VA, CA, MIN, etc. So don't be discouraged.

Also the new building should be finished in 6 months

Agree with Mesican..
we are up to our ears with the new class coming in and the new school year starting( this is not something new all schools experience it , but the older schools have more staff....so we will be getting to you guys soon!)

Anyone know when interviews are scheduled to begin? I'm really hoping to have my interview before the snow/fog settles in over cabbage hill, that thing is a deathtrap (hence the nickname dead man's pass).

Anyone know when interviews are scheduled to begin? I'm really hoping to have my interview before the snow/fog settles in over cabbage hill, that thing is a deathtrap (hence the nickname dead man's pass).

Per my schedule they start in early October.

My application status under decision changed from "no decision" to "committee" today. Looks like progress is being made.

Check your status today. Mine updated to Interview yesterday. Calling this morning to see if there is a date.

Holy cow! This might have been mentioned already but $175 for the secondary?? Trying my best not to use credit for school applications but I can hear my bank account crying

Dates of Interviews:

October 8, 2010 November 5, 2010
December 3, 2010 January 7, 2011
January 21, 2011 February 4, 2011
February 11, 2011 March 4, 2011
March 25, 2011 April 15, 2011

Dates of Interviews:

Someone tell me what is up with the NW schools only doing interview invites once a month...

Someone tell me what is up with the NW schools only doing interview invites once a month...

If I remember from the AACOM booklet, last year they only gave out like 500 secondary applications. If they receive back 80% of those (which I think is a generous number), then they have 400 to choose to interview. If they are going to fill 75 spots, I don't know what the calculation is, but I would suspect that they aren't going to give a lot of interview invites out.

Also, they start with twice a month in January, probably to fill the spots not yet filled from the more selective interviews that they gave in Oct-Dec...

just a thought

If I remember from the AACOM booklet, last year they only gave out like 500 secondary applications. If they receive back 80% of those (which I think is a generous number), then they have 400 to choose to interview. If they are going to fill 75 spots, I don't know what the calculation is, but I would suspect that they aren't going to give a lot of interview invites out.

Also, they start with twice a month in January, probably to fill the spots not yet filled from the more selective interviews that they gave in Oct-Dec...

just a thought

400 interviewers = 40 per interview session which seems like alot for such a small school. It is just a little frustrating and I'm venting, with trying to beat out the winter weather for the drive from Boise and either of the two NW schools. Especially since most of my east coast interviews have been handed out already and are occupying some of these very "select" interview spots.

sorry, this was a repost.

Last edited:
400 interviewers = 40 per interview session which seems like alot for such a small school. It is just a little frustrating and I'm venting, with trying to beat out the winter weather for the drive from Boise and either of the two NW schools. Especially since most of my east coast interviews have been handed out already and are occupying some of these very "select" interview spots.

I didn't say 400 interviewees, I said they might receive 400 secondaries back, and that is being really generous. I don't know how they calculate interview invites but I would think they probably hand out 200-250 invites for 75 spots. That is just a guess though.

Go ahead and vent, but realize that we are all in your boat. We want the interview spots as well, and we all have many other schools that still haven't handed out interview invites yet.

Recieved the 'You will recieve a supplemental on Dec 1st' email. Is emailing admissions and letting them know I love the Northwest and would consider practicing there enough to get them to take a serious look at my app? I have no connections to the Northwest other than liking the location.

Recieved the 'You will recieve a supplemental on Dec 1st' email. Is emailing admissions and letting them know I love the Northwest and would consider practicing there enough to get them to take a serious look at my app? I have no connections to the Northwest other than liking the location.

I would include why you like the Northwest and Why you would want to practice there?

I would tell them of your circumstances for wanting to go to the PNW... Specifically why you want to go to PNWU. if you just want to come to the northwest, well thats cool, but why do you want to go to PNWU? There are a lot of qualified applicants that love the northwest too. So you need to explain to them why you would like to attend here. Is it the under served population in the region? is it the rural aspect of the area? or what? If you have a real commitment to practicing in the region, then im sure they will take a look at your app. They have already given you serious consideration given that you are going to get a secondary. they only give that out to qualified individuals, they do pre-screen.

I am in no way trying to discourage you, but rather to get you to look at how they see things.

I applied much later than December first and still got an interview and subsequently accepted.

My primary was sent to PNWU 7/22 and as of yet (a full month later) I've received no supplemental invite. I had kind of assumed that secondaries were automatically sent to residents of the Pacific NW and/or graduates of schools in the PNW...although my assumption quite clearly may be incorrect.

Should I contact the school and ask...or just let this one lie?

Any opinions?

OlyWA

My primary was sent to PNWU 7/22 and as of yet (a full month later) I've received no supplemental invite. I had kind of assumed that secondaries were automatically sent to residents of the Pacific NW and/or graduates of schools in the PNW...although my assumption quite clearly may be incorrect.

Any opinions?

OlyWA

I got my supplemental almost exactly 1 month after my primary. I would just contact the school and ensure they received your primary.

It was pretty close to 1 month for me as well. If you don't get anything by Monday next week I'd start bugging them.

Any opinions?

OlyWA

Dude, If my memory serves me right. You applied for the second year class and didn't get in. Then applied for the third year class and never got an interview. At this point you may want to change your name, grow a beard, and hope for them to not recognize your writing style in your, hopefully revamped, PS.

GL .

Anyone know the timeline of going from "comittee" to interview decision? It's been a week for me and I'm getting antsy (if one can't tell from my previous posts).

It's been two years since I interviewed, but back in the day it was about 1-2 weeks depending on when they hold a meeting and when you get put on the review list. Hang in there... watch some football, eat Cheetos, and relax. :cool:

It's been two years since I interviewed, but back in the day it was about 1-2 weeks depending on when they hold a meeting and when you get put on the review list. Hang in there... watch some football, eat Cheetos, and relax. :cool:

Yeah, once Thursday hits I'll be chillax. 5 straight days of non-stop foosball!

Dates of Interviews:

When did you get your secondary turned it? That must have been a lightning quick turnaround!

So my online status just changes from "no decision" to "committee". WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?!? :)