PNWU-COM (Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences) Discussion 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything about this new school in Washington? I'm debating about applying, but I know the secondary fee is crazy. Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks! :D

Yeah, I've heard it's spelled Pacific :)

Have you checked out their website?
http://www.pnwu.org/

You'll be able to get a much better idea about the school and what their goals are after you go to the website and check out the catalog and handbook. One of the biggest things you should consider is the location. Is it a place you'd want to spend four years?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My one criticism of the school (more of a pet-peeve): could you please increase the budget for promotions? I mean, that website looks like it was designed by someone who learned how to use the intraweb in 1995. Horrible design, disgusting colors, not a user-friendly interface at all. As a new school, they should realize how important it is to present a look of professionalism to prospective students.

I agree, it does look a little depressing to live in Yakima. However, from what I hear, there is quite a bit to do outdoors if you're an outdoorsy type of person. And unlike the rest of Washington, it really doesnt get a whole lot of rainfall. I suppose you wont have that much time anyway, so depression from the surroundings hopefully won't matter too much.

IMO you need to also take into account that it is a first year school. Just like any other new school, the first class is going to be a the gynea pig.:thumbup:

Yeah, I've heard it's spelled Pacific :)

Have you checked out their website?
http://www.pnwu.org/

You'll be able to get a much better idea about the school and what their goals are after you go to the website and check out the catalog and handbook. One of the biggest things you should consider is the location. Is it a place you'd want to spend four years?

Good luck!

Yeah, I think there is an ocean over there that it's named after or something ... dunno??? heheheh just teasing ya OP.

Mr. Colbert's Reporrr (HA) is absolutely correct. Check out the website, and I believe the AACOM homepage also links there, so it seems like the best source.

halligan said:
the first class is going to be a the gynea pig.

What does a pig know about gyno? Ohhh..... you mean ginuea pig. The little furry guys that always have to do things first... gotcha ;)

What does a pig know about gyno? Ohhh..... you mean ginuea pig. The little furry guys that always have to do things first... gotcha ;)

:laugh: I think you both mean guinea pig.

:laugh: I think you both mean guinea pig.

Yea, I'm an idiot. That's what I get for not looking over what I write.

Thanks for correcting me - I feel like Dan Quayle spelling 'potatoe':laugh:

Yea, I'm an idiot. That's what I get for not looking over what I write.

Thanks for correcting me - I feel like Dan Quayle spelling 'potatoe':laugh:

The funniest thing was rose correcting you and it was still wrong. :laugh: I think I'm too easily amused. BTW, I'm sure you're not an idiot.

The funniest thing was rose correcting you and it was still wrong. :laugh: I think I'm too easily amused. BTW, I'm sure you're not an idiot.

haha. thanks, now I feel better. Yea, and the fact that the title of the thread is "Pasific" - it was doomed from the beginning.

But to stay on topic -

I got my secondary from PNUHS. Not very happy about the 175 for the secondary.

Eitherway, I want a t-shirt, bumper sticker, or something with the schools name on it:D

If the school spells it that way, it could be a red flag

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh::laugh: yeah... stupid google. I typed it in and that was how it came up in the first few links. Oh well. Thats what I get for trusting google with spelling instead of consulting a dictionary. Lol.

If you've read my previous posts...as I'm certain some will label me a troll...I remain steadfast in my support of this school. No...I'm not a troll or any form of staff member at the school. I'm simply a person who lives in the area this school will hopefully serve...and has an intimate understanding of the nature of the medically 'under-served' population this school aims to serve.

I hate to keep harping on the same 'Yakima is a pit' statements...but these threads seem consistently to posted by people who, by their own admission, haven't actually been there. As I've said in my previous posts...many, if not most people...have simply driven through Yakima and only stopped for as much as a McDonalds or 'let's fill up the gastank' break. Inevitably, these people have only seen the 4 or 5 blocks that surround the highway (I-82). Anyone that's been outside of their parents basement is able to realize that 'neighborhoods' near freeways aren't likely representative of a community, this is clearly the situation in Yakima. As I've said before and will continue to harp on...Yakima is a beautiful area with a lot to offer...but, as before...you simply aren't gonna discover this until you drive about 40 blocks west of the highway. The Yakima area has abounding outdoor opportunities at all times of the year, something clearly not found near all medical schools. The cost of living in the area (for a student) is extremely on the lower end of the spectrum...this is and should be a major consideration for those non trust-fund students such as myself.

Many will also continue to complain about the feared 'lack of quality clinical sites.' Nothing could be further from truth. Yes, many of the clinical sites will likely be in smaller, community and tertiary hospitals. Anyone with any real experience (beyond housekeeping and a couple hours of shadowing) in a hospital setting recognizes the realities of being a 'student.' 'Students' are much better received in community hospitals and regularly have the opportunities to do things that would never be allowed in larger medical facilities...i.e....you get much more experience in smaller hospitals. In larger institutions you are very clearly competing for time and experience...whereas in many smaller hospitals you are the only 'student' on that day. What a great way to learn and make connections...GET IT???

So...as many on the boards keep themselves busy debating over such asinine topics as who has the best rotations and/or MCAT acceptance averages...those of us who 'get it' will be applying to PNWU. PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE...if you aren't absolutely ecstatic about this school...DON'T APPLY!!! Please don't take up the interview slots of those who truly want to be here...ok? Feel free to scoff at the $175 secondary fee...I consider myself 'JACKPOT LUCKY' to have the opportunity to pay it.

The term "tertiary hospital" is used for a major referral hospital ( big university hospital).

Review the PNWU docs and be sure to note that they will almost exclusively recruit from the PNW region and those states (WICHE) in the area that do not have med schools.

Secondary is $175?!?!?!?

Holy cow. My med school had no secondary fee.....ah, the perks of state schools. :D

I second what OlyWa is saying about Yakima NOT being a hole. I've traveled across the US a lot, and I've spent time in every community (except Bradenton) that hosts a DO school. I'd rank PNWU's location 2nd only to UNECOM. Nova would be third. On location only, Rocky Vista is 4th. These are insanely beautiful locales with plenty of stuff to do and see in town, with either ocean or >10k' mountains next door. My next tier would be the CA, AZ and NY schools. I personally would be depressed at the MO, PA, OH, OK, KY or GA schools. Love to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. That's my $.02 on location.

OK, but OlyWA, how are you coming up with tuition, given that the school's authorization to disburse financial aid isn't going to be in place by the time the '08 class starts?

OK, but OlyWA, how are you coming up with tuition, given that the school's authorization to disburse financial aid isn't going to be in place by the time the '08 class starts?

Can you take out private education loans at extraordinarily high interest rates? It would suck, but what other options are there? :confused:

Can you take out private education loans at extraordinarily high interest rates? It would suck, but what other options are there? :confused:

I'd imagine so, since even the unestablished, fly-by-night Caribbean schools allow you to take out private loans.

Why do you think that they won't be able to authorize and distribute financial aid? Have you heard that they won't? I'm currently in the first class at TouroCOM in NY and they had financial aid all set up. Heck, we even had a talk about it at the interview and a breakdown of the whole procedure. I can't imagine a medical school not having financial aid through the school.

Why do you think that they won't be able to authorize and distribute financial aid? Have you heard that they won't? I'm currently in the first class at TouroCOM in NY and they had financial aid all set up. Heck, we even had a talk about it at the interview and a breakdown of the whole procedure. I can't imagine a medical school not having financial aid through the school.

Directly from their website:

"PNWU is currently in the process of applying for Federal Title IV student loan eligibility. This application process may not be complete until after classes begin in August 2008. Our OPEID# is 04130500."

http://www.pnwu.org/s_services.shtml

Did anyone notice that PNWU's secondary essay questions are the same as LMU's? Are they affiliated in some way? :confused:

Anyone received an official email from PNWU asking you to fill out a secondary?

I found the secondary posted on their website, but I can't type on the pdf document. :confused:

Anyone received an official email from PNWU asking you to fill out a secondary?

I found the secondary posted on their website, but I can't type on the pdf document. :confused:

I received the invitation by snail mail a week ago. I am not sure how they want the app filled because it doesn't permit filling in the form. I am still not sure if I will fork out the money for the secondary, although it might be a good backer if my other schools don't work out. I would like to live in Washington.

I received the invitation by snail mail a week ago. I am not sure how they want the app filled because it doesn't permit filling in the form. I am still not sure if I will fork out the money for the secondary, although it might be a good backer if my other schools don't work out. I would like to live in Washington.

I emailed the school because I had the same problem with the application. They had no problem sending me one in Word format. There's bound to be growing pains, but so far they seem pretty willing to work with you if you ask.

I emailed the school because I had the same problem with the application. They had no problem sending me one in Word format. There's bound to be growing pains, but so far they seem pretty willing to work with you if you ask.

I appologize, but I just realized that I didn't get the Word .doc from PNWU-COM, but from Touro Nevada. I did have troubles with the pdf format, but was able to save it and open it in an older version of Adobe Acrobat to edit. It was a real pain in the butt though. I would bet that if you called them and explained it they would accomodate. I have called once or twice to ask a question and they seemed very friendly. Sorry I can't help out anyone who asked me for the file.

Hello everybody,
I am currently a 4th year pharmacy student based in Yakima. I was born hear and I have lived my whole life here other than when I was away at college. It is not as bad as people say it is, it is nice for families and does offer a lot of outdoor activities. I have also worked at one of the hospitals in town for 4 years so I have a pretty good grasp on what healthcare is like here. I know everybody is really excited for the school and I look forward to seeing it grow. If anybody has any questions I could answer please feel free to ask
Ryan

I went to a evening talk at my state osteopathic association and spoke to a couple of deans from this school at their information booth and I was really impresses. If you are a "pioneering" type this seems like a good match. I have also heard from the DO's that I work for that they are very impressed with how the start-up is going - for what it is worth.
I have completed my secondary but I am going to wait a couple of days before I send it in. Waiting for a paycheck.

Has anyone heard from this school, any interviews, ect? I can't believe the secondary fee is sooo high, $175!

Yea, I couldn't believe how high it is. I just sent the secondary in today, so I haven't gotten any news yet.

I sent in my secondary about 3 weeks ago and got an email from them saying I was complete. The secondary fee is a bit high, but TOURO's are just as much.

Hopefully they will start the ball rolling soon! :luck:

hope so, I already sent the lor the day I recieved the secondary app. So the app is all they should be wanting on now.

What do you guys think about the fact that this school will most likely not have any financial aid available for the inaugural class? Also, I talked to one of the admission officers and he said that the main building may not be completed when the inaugural class starts in August? :eek: I am not sure whether to apply to this school.

I spoke with someone in administration at PNWU a while ago about financial aid and was told that the school was working with local banks to finance the students until the federal loan process came through. Then the students would use the federal money to pay back the banks. The building not being finished does sound like it could be a concern. I have a good impression of the school, but those of us who are applying there will definitely have to proceed with caution.

What do you guys think about the fact that this school will most likely not have any financial aid available for the inaugural class? Also, I talked to one of the admission officers and he said that the main building may not be completed when the inaugural class starts in August? :eek: I am not sure whether to apply to this school.

According to a conversation I had with the financial aid office, they are not 100% certain yet if federal loans can pay back private loans. This makes a big difference in when the loans start being paid off.
I am still interested in this school after meeting some of the folks that are starting it up, but the financial aid question is still not completely answered - I am sure SOMETHING will work out but we won't know the details right now and it could be a real financial difference when you think about interest rates, putting off repayment etc.

Has anyone had a chance to interview here? If so how was the interview and what type of impressions did you walk away with?

Has anyone had a chance to interview here? If so how was the interview and what type of impressions did you walk away with?

I don't think anyone has interviewed yet. I was complete about 2 weeks ago and was told by an admissions person that they had not started the interview process yet. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything!

Same here, no news yet. They had my secondary and LORs around 10/26. Very interested in living in the area, wife has friends there and they say it is wonderful.

I don't think anyone has interviewed yet. I was complete about 2 weeks ago and was told by an admissions person that they had not started the interview process yet. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything!

I just received an interview invite for the 30th!

I just received an interview invite for the 30th!

Cool! I think you might be the first one! If you dont mind, I hae some questions for you.

When were you complete?
Are you from WA?
How were you notified?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm super excited about PNWU :)

Good Luck on your interview! :luck:

Cool! I think you might be the first one! If you dont mind, I hae some questions for you.

When were you complete?
Are you from WA?
How were you notified?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm super excited about PNWU :)

Good Luck on your interview! :luck:

Thanks! I believe I was complete in the first week of October, but I'm not sure because there was not a notification sent to me. They sent me an interview invite as hard mail in a single page format.
I am from Seattle, WA and I would be excited to go here if it works out.
Good luck to you, and I hope you hear back soon!

Thanks! I believe I was complete in the first week of October, but I'm not sure because there was not a notification sent to me. They sent me an interview invite as hard mail in a single page format.
I am from Seattle, WA and I would be excited to go here if it works out.
Good luck to you, and I hope you hear back soon!

Thanks for answering my arsenal of questions. ;) I'll be checking my mail compulsively now! :D

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on SDN for a while, but this is my first post. I interviewed at PNWU this past Friday. I am extremely impressed with their plans! Just to address a few questions from this thread:

- Our November 2nd group was not the first interview group! I'm not sure when the first one was, but we were the second.
- The main student building I believe will be finished this Spring (March?). They are moving into the main administrative building next week.
- Clinical rotation sites for 3rd/4th years are looking very good. They showed us a map of sites they have or are working on agreements with. You will have options all over the Pacific Northwest it seems.
- The interviews are standardized, they ask the same questions to everyone
- I'm not from the Pacific Northwest
- I really like Yakima, I think the area is beautiful. Good restaurants, too
- The faculty and administration that I met were very committed to this school, and truly believe in its mission. They were also very nice, and very openly answered all questions in great detail
- Admission decisions are made very quickly! I interviewed Friday, the committee is meeting on all 8 interviewees Monday, and will call each with a decision on Tuesday. I believe they call regardless of what the decision is (even with rejections/waitlistings)

If anyone has any other questions, let me know!

-Jon

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on SDN for a while, but this is my first post. I interviewed at PNWU this past Friday. I am extremely impressed with their plans! Just to address a few questions from this thread:

- Our November 2nd group was not the first interview group! I'm not sure when the first one was, but we were the second.
- The main student building I believe will be finished this Spring (March?). They are moving into the main administrative building next week.
- Clinical rotation sites for 3rd/4th years are looking very good. They showed us a map of sites they have or are working on agreements with. You will have options all over the Pacific Northwest it seems.
- The interviews are standardized, they ask the same questions to everyone
- I'm not from the Pacific Northwest
- I really like Yakima, I think the area is beautiful. Good restaurants, too
- The faculty and administration that I met were very committed to this school, and truly believe in its mission. They were also very nice, and very openly answered all questions in great detail
- Admission decisions are made very quickly! I interviewed Friday, the committee is meeting on all 8 interviewees Monday, and will call each with a decision on Tuesday. I believe they call regardless of what the decision is (even with rejections/waitlistings)

If anyone has any other questions, let me know!

-Jon

What was the interview like (closed file, panel interview..)? What are the sites for the rotations? Thanks for your help.

Let's see...the interview itself was a panal interview (3 interviewers), and was open file. The interviews are standardized, they ask the exact same questions of everyone who comes in. Aside from the interview and introduction, there was a tour of the building's construction site around noon.

The rotations sites were plentiful, according to the map they showed. Some already had agreements in place, while others were still in the discussion phase. There were sites in Seattle, Portland, Spokane, and the small cities around Yakima. They also have several sites in Montana, Idaho, Alaska, and I believe Colorado. Plus, they had one shown in Vancouver

How about the financial aid situation?