This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureRx2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for some really helpful pocket guides (for various scenarios). Im on my APPEs and know that there must be something out there for quick references that I could use. Currently on my internal medicine rotation, but would also maybe like something useful for community pharmacy, oncology setting, or an infectious pocket guide of some sort, IV to PO maybe? Conversion charts for hospitals would be nice.
Let me know what resources you use!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am looking for some really helpful pocket guides (for various scenarios). Im on my APPEs and know that there must be something out there for quick references that I could use. Currently on my internal medicine rotation, but would also maybe like something useful for community pharmacy, oncology setting, or an infectious pocket guide of some sort, IV to PO maybe? Conversion charts for hospitals would be nice.
Thank you!!

The only physical book in my pocket is Top 100 Drug Interactions. That book is fantastic for sorting through the significant vs insignificant drug interactions, explaining QTc interactions, etc... I will be publishing a book about pharmacist response to inpatient medical emergencies in the near future.

Everything else that I use is an electronic app. I use Johns Hopkins Antibiotic Guide (android, apple), IC@N (android, apple), UpToDate (android, apple). Keep in mind that Hopkins ABX guide does not cover pediatrics.

For charts / conversion I use pharmacistletter.com.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found that UNC School of Pharmacy has been selling a very handy pocketguide, and purchased one for myself.. Click the following link to purchase it (15.00 + shipping). There's a wide variety of information that would be handy for Internal Med, Critical Care, lab values, and therapeutics. http://tinyurl.com/tccppocketguide

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!!

I would recommend the Sanford Guide App. You can search way faster than you would by flipping pages on the paper version. Remember, your MD counter parts will want an answer fast. The app has links to all references. If anyone asks what the evidence behind your answer is all you have to do is click on it.

I also found Lexicomp to be very useful through all rotations. My acute care site provided me with an institutional code for the Lexicomp app and I got to keep it all through 4th year. I would stay away from pocket-guides. Use apps instead. It's faster to search and you will not delay rounds when asked a question. Remember, if you delay them, MDs may avoid asking you questions.

That' my two cents.

Best,

Apotheker2015

I would recommend the Sanford Guide App. You can search way faster than you would by flipping pages on the paper version. Remember, your MD counter parts will want an answer fast. The app has links to all references. If anyone asks what the evidence behind your answer is all you have to do is click on it.

I also found Lexicomp to be very useful through all rotations. My acute care site provided me with an institutional code for the Lexicomp app and I got to keep it all through 4th year. I would stay away from pocket-guides. Use apps instead. It's faster to search and you will not delay rounds when asked a question. Remember, if you delay them, MDs may avoid asking you questions.

That' my two cents.

Best,

Apotheker2015

A physician will stop asking you questions when you start giving them incorrect information, not when you ask for a minute to review the evidence.

Reactions: 1 user
A physician will stop asking you questions when you start giving them incorrect information, not when you ask for a minute to review the evidence.

The Sanford Guide pocket book does not have links to the evidence, does it? It is a resource that will leave you hanging should anyone ask you for the evidence behind your answer. It is also faster. Getting to the correct answer faster does not compromise the validity of the answer. That's the point.

Last edited:
On rotations I would print out useful hospital specific pocket cards. For example, antibiotic dosing cards, opioid conversion, whatever is relevant. Make sure to ask where to find hospital specific drug information. Also apps like others mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
The sanford guide app sucks. You have to renew yearly, so if you want to keep the app working you have to pay every year. The search function leaves little to be desired, and theres nothing better than those charts. Anytime an MD asks me a question I dont have the answer to I tell them Ill research it and get back to them. Generally <3 mins or so is my cutoff in the ER

I have two that I just buy every year on my own. Physical sanford and hansten&horn drug interactions. H&h is nice because it prioritizes interactions, gives suggested management ideas, and is updated yearly with the latest practical, relevant information. However I have found it a little lacking with regard to warfarin. Those references combined with our institution's lexicomp and uptodate subscriptions are pretty much all I ever use/need. Well maybe globalrph once in awhile (decent conversion charts, osmolarity calculator, CrCl multicalc). I personally prefer the physical sanford because its layout is familiar enough to me that seconds are all it takes to look something up. Its really not that hard to get fast and familiar with. Also just my opinion, but I think it looks better to the docs to see you referencing the physical guide. I try to get away from looking like a google monkey as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have two that I just buy every year on my own. Physical sanford and hansten&horn drug interactions. H&h is nice because it prioritizes interactions, gives suggested management ideas, and is updated yearly with the latest practical, relevant information. However I have found it a little lacking with regard to warfarin. Those references combined with our institution's lexicomp and uptodate subscriptions are pretty much all I ever use/need. Well maybe globalrph once in awhile (decent conversion charts, osmolarity calculator, CrCl multicalc). I personally prefer the physical sanford because its layout is familiar enough to me that seconds are all it takes to look something up. Its really not that hard to get fast and familiar with. Also just my opinion, but I think it looks better to the docs to see you referencing the physical guide. I try to get away from looking like a google monkey as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Good point on appearing like a google monkey. Preceptors and MD's tend to think by default that you're either texting or googling. I ended up bringing my iPad to rotations just so people could see what I was doing and I always made sure to say "Sure, let me look that up on the Sanford guide app". Oh rotations... So glad those days are gone...

Last edited:
Good point on appearing like a google monkey. Preceptors and MD's tend to think by default that you're either texting or googling. I ended up bringing my iPad to rotations just so people could see what I was doing and I always made sure to say "Sure, let me look that up on the Sanford guide app". Oh rotations... So glad those days are gone...

Just wondering if your preceptor made a big deal with using the app vs knowing the answer.

Just wondering if your preceptor made a big deal with using the app vs knowing the answer.

I would say it was never a big deal. Many of them ended up buying the apps themselves. I would always tell them what I thought off the top of my head and that I would double check my thought on Lexicomp. Sometimes I was right on point and sometimes I was not too far off. Anyone who was awake through pharmacy school should have answers that are in the ballpark of the level of knowledge they expect. You could always ask your preceptors in the beginning of your rotations if they are ok with you using X app as a reference. Most won't have an issue unless your answers are all coming from the app without you even thinking through the question. On the other hand, there will be preceptors who are not reasonable and unhappy people who will be jerks to you for using the app, for having the app and not using it, for not having. Oh yes, they exist. (That's a whole other thread)

Now for rounds, there are not many questions that will come your way that you won't be able to predict. Here's what you do. This will be hard for a lot of pharmacy students but having social skills and getting along with others is key. During my acute care rotations, I would always work up my patients in the room where the medical residents gathered to write up their notes and prep their patients. If they had a drug question they would throw it my way. "Joe, I am thinking of starting vanco on Ms Smith. Thoughts on that?". Done. You take care of it. Then super early in the morning, you get there and you do the same thing. You go to them and you make yourself available and ask if they have any drug therapy questions. Medical residents are way more fun than pharmacy folks, anyway. Don't abandon your pharmacy residents and preceptors either. Point is that becoming acquainted with the registered dietitians, PAs, NPs, and/orMD residents will help you be more prepared.

It is not really your preceptors. It is your patients who expect you to know the answer right away.

It is not really your preceptors. It is your patients who expect you to know the answer right away.

I never had anyone seem the least bit upset if I needed to look up an answer. I think I recall reading about a study that showed patients actually appreciate when a healthcare provider looks up information for them or something to that affect.