Podiatry Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docaddictedtotravel1992

Class of 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Random question for current students--I know we focus on the lower limb and I was wondering if at your school during anatomy lab do we dissect entire cadavers or just the legs? I have friends in dental school and they just do the head and neck and I feel that curriculum-wise, podiatry is similar to dental since you learn everything but are specialized on a region of the body.

Members don't see this ad.

At DMU, we have human anatomy with DO students during our first year. So yes, it is the entire body. In our second year, we have lower limb anatomy and that class is just for DPM students.

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome! I was hoping we would dissect the whole body, especially since lower limb physiology/anatomy is so systemic. I'm waiting to get my interviews but am definitely interested in DMU--I like the fact that you work with the DO students

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup I'm pretty sure that you do full body dissection at every podiatry school. At NYCPM we do pelvis and up 2nd semester and pelvis and down 3rd semester.

Reactions: 1 user
At Kent, we did head to pelvis first semester of first year, then lower extremity (pelvis to toes) the second semester.

At DMU, we have human anatomy with DO students during our first year. So yes, it is the entire body. In our second year, we have lower limb anatomy and that class is just for DPM students.

Yup I'm pretty sure that you do full body dissection at every podiatry school. At NYCPM we do pelvis and up 2nd semester and pelvis and down 3rd semester.

I have a question about this. I have heard that some of the schools that share classes with the DO schools share a cadaver with them. In other words, you don't get to do the full dissection yourself because the DO students do certain parts and the pods do other parts. Zilla, can you shed some light on this for those at DMU? Maybe there is someone who can give input from the other DO/POD schools.

@ OP: Something to ask in interviews is how many people are assigned to one cadaver. The fewer the better. The more time you have practicing dissecting techniques will help you in when you start in the OR.

I have a question about this. I have heard that some of the schools that share classes with the DO schools share a cadaver with them. In other words, you don't get to do the full dissection yourself because the DO students do certain parts and the pods do other parts. Zilla, can you shed some light on this for those at DMU? Maybe there is someone who can give input from the other DO/POD schools.

@ OP: Something to ask in interviews is how many people are assigned to one cadaver. The fewer the better. The more time you have practicing dissecting techniques will help you in when you start in the OR.

I was also wondering the same thing! I definitely agree that it's a great question to ask--when I go for interviews I'll post on here what they say. I'm hoping we get to do a lot of dissection because it will definitely help in all other areas.

Yes, we are paired up with DO students into groups that shares the same cadaver, and no, there isn't a specific part we don't dissect or they have to dissect. We are in a lab group together and we rotate our "duties" every lab. In every group, there's always that one student who wants minimal contact with the cadaver, but on the other hand, you also have that one student who wants to do everything. I think this is true whenever you go.

At AZPod, we are grouped up with DO's for gross anatomy. You are able to do as much or as little as you want. There are 3 groups of 3 people assigned to a cadaver in gross anatomy. 2 groups are present in lab at once, rotating "days off" every third lab. In lower extremity anatomy, there are 2 pods per leg. The leg is dissected down from the tibial tuberosity.

Yes, we are paired up with DO students into groups that shares the same cadaver, and no, there isn't a specific part we don't dissect or they have to dissect. We are in a lab group together and we rotate our "duties" every lab. In every group, there's always that one student who wants minimal contact with the cadaver, but on the other hand, you also have that one student who wants to do everything. I think this is true whenever you go.

I like that you don't have any specific part that you have to dissect. The DO's are probably more interested in some things that the pods might be less interested in and vice versa.

So how many students are there in a group?

anyone know the cadaver to students ratio for NYCPM, Western, and CSPM?

At Scholl we take anatomy in 1st yr with the MD students. 2 groups of 3. Each group has 2 MDs and 1 DPM. Rotate duties between the 2 groups. Same tests, etc. Halfway through we do a hemi-pelvectomy which we use in our lower extremity anatomy class. LEA is 3 students to a leg.

Something else to consider would be the number of opportunities the school gives you to dissect. There are schools that have access to more cadavers than others. As of now I have dissected 1 body in my group of 4, 2 upper body superficial dissections on my own and 4 full lower limbs (from the pelvis down) on my own. I will also be part of the student dissection team for the first years for the next three semesters. There are only about 10 students that have taken advantage of the extra dissecting opportunities from my class but the opportunities are there.

DMU has 5 students per cadaver, 2 DPMs and 3DOs.

at western it is about 4/5 DO's and 1 DPM for each group. There is a group A and B. Group A will dissect a certain area and a representative will come the next day to explain to Group B what was dissected the day before. As far as who dissects what, it is based on the person rather than the degree that is getting earned. just from my experience. Also the DPM's dissect the entire body.