About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podiatry dreams

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Pktgresch, Jun 19, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Pktgresch

Pktgresch

Pre-Podiatry

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am what you call the absolute average candidate for Pod school. Stats = 3.17 cGPA, 3.05 sGPA, 23P mcat (10 Verbal, 05 PS, 08 BS) - retake bc of ps?
    Problems: C- in Gen chem I and D in pre-calc (B+ in calc one)
    No one wants this more than me, I intend to show that to the admissions people at these schools. Thinking Scholl, DMU, Barry, Samuel Merrit (oakland), OCPM in no particular order.
    What do you think? Ive emailed and will be calling the rest of the above mentioned schools. Bummed about the C- in gen chem because it limits my applications to schools that do not require C in pre reqs. Although I do see why they do, my bad.
    ECs: shadowing 50+ hrs with valedictorian of Barry in her year (recently), 50+ hrs volunteering in a trauma center, VP of fraternity + risk management chair, College golf (2x male academic team of the year), Little league umpire, research internship (currently), etc etc.
    Not sure but I feel as if I may have done it...
  2. MaxillofacialMN

MaxillofacialMN Osteopathic Foot Dentist

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    They'll overlook your 5 in PS because PS doesn't matter, I think.

The C- will hold you back a bit as that is in a prerequisite like you said. I don't think the pre calc grade will matter much either. I think if you apply early and broadly, you'll be fine.
  3. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have read a lot of threads here and heard of people getting in with worse stats. You sound pretty passionate or at least now that your in the position your in you want to seem passionate now.(If that makes any sense). I would say apply to all 9 it'll cost a little more but an acceptance is the goal here not really saving money. But that is just my oppinion someone else may say only apply where you might go but, Its your move though.

Thats my tip to boost your chances. Im sure you will get at least 2 interviews so research interview methods/clothing/and information on the school blow em away and you'll be fine.
  4. Traum

Traum

SDN 2+ Year Member
    While "passion" and good intentions are helpful, the grades earned and MCAT are very low. Moreover, if you went to a tier 1 undergrad, they may be appreciated and considered as undergrad rigor vary greatly.

Podiatric training schools need to vastly improve their candidates, understanding that the schools are tuition driven and need student loans/tuition payments to stay afloat. If podiatric medicine and/or foot and ankle surgery is your passion, perhaps, take a year off or two, do some research, get an MPH,MS and show them, not tell them your academic achievement to earn a spot.

Best of luck.
  5. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

But apply first before you go and do that ^. And even still I would only do a 1 year post Bac. and take upper level Bio's and reapply(thats the plan B not A).
  6. Ferocity

Ferocity

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just apply in August and see what happens...
  7. frankcfromny

frankcfromny

They're not very low to podiatry standards...maybe compared to MD, or even DO standards.

OP, to directly answer your question. I think you have a good shot for this upcoming cycle with your stats. Apply early and apply to as many schools as possible.

Podiatry schools aren't as competitive as some would like to believe.

Good luck!
  8. Pktgresch

Pktgresch

Pre-Podiatry
    Thanks for the kind wishes. I am most definitely applying broadly, this cycle, on August 1st.
  9. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

Look bro,on second thought your dreams of being a pod are in reach. Your applying early you have stats that have been know to get in and you plan to apply broadly :thumbup:. Even though I haven't been through the application process yet I'd bet $100 you get at least 3 interviews and 2 acceptances at the least.

That Mcat score was not your goal but its all good check out this link and scroll down to ...What are Some of the Characteristics of Entering Students?...
    http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/cz3_faqs.asp

Like you said you fit right into this range and that is the average meaning some 2.8's make it through, 3.6's also but your in the safe zone(not a shoe in but safe).

And not that it is to important, but what was your major.
  10. Pktgresch

Pktgresch

Pre-Podiatry
    Major is Biology and I have done well in my Bio courses. Mostly A's with a B in Comparative Anatomy and Genetics. Taking Bio chem this semester with 18 credits when I only need 24 more to graduate. Plus I fully intend on taking 18 more in spring with Bio chem 2, Pchem and other science courses. My chem grades are what bring my sGPA down. Physics I got a B- in Phys 1 and an A in Phys 2. Last semester was my best by far, I earned a 3.6 gpa while taking Ochem2, Phys 2, Immunology, Invertebrate Zoology and Jr sem. In fact, the last 3 semesters have been over my gpa @ 3.2, 3.3, and a 3.6. Got my gpa up from a 3.0something overall to 3.17 in one semester with the 3.6. Maybe the upward trend will help. Honestly, the trend is due to the realization that I wanted to go to Pod school and I knew that my gpa had to come up. Well back to work, need to reorganize my Personal statement too. But yea, I am definitely applying.
  11. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

Your good and if you pull another 2/ 3.6 semesters you will have a strong GPA and upward trend for next cycle(but you will be in pod school by then so who cares).
  12. Pktgresch

Pktgresch

Pre-Podiatry
    Oh I feel you, I absolutely need a 3.65 semester before I graduate. If I do not make deans list at least once I will be upset. Are you applying this cycle?
  13. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The deans list at my school is ridiculous. It's only the top 10% of students, and when you go to a liberal arts college.... 3.65 aint going to cut it...
  14. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

You can do it if you put your work in. And no im not applying this cycle im just a sohpmore but i've been researching this profession for awhile now.

If you want a 3.65 you know what you have to do(STUDYHARD) for me I get that mid semesteritis and want to slack off, stay motivated and you'll be fine I pulled 2/ 4.0 semesters in a row with that Motto they were mostly Gen Ed classes so it was rather easy but the rule still applies.
  15. ucdgogie

ucdgogie

Podiatry Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    im thinking you would definitely get a few interviews. I had 2 C- in pre reqs when applying and my undergrad GPA was lower than yours. I did do a 1 year post bac, but i honestly think you have a shot as is. like others said...apply broadly. good luck!
  16. BestDoctorEver

BestDoctorEver MS-0

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    23P MCAT is not low for pod school. Average MCAT for pod school is 22 give or take.
  17. ilovefeet

ilovefeet

Pre-Podiatry
    Might be a stupid question, but do you guys think that applying to all 9 schools will be looked down upon?
  18. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

I would say No, you apply where your interested however many schools that may be.
  19. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Naw. It either means you've got tons of money to fly around the country, or you REALLY want to be a pod and aren't leaving anything to chance by only applying to a couple.

Neither of which, I think, is negative.
  20. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    To FrankC and BestDoc,

Traum knows the OP will get into pod school, but that's not his point. His point is that the MCAT is low and so are the GPAs. He would like to see the applicant pool's standards be raised significantly so that podiatry as a profession is no longer looked at as "second class" doctors. Agree with him or not, that fact remains that the numbers are low, but relatively speaking compared to pod standards this "lowness" doesn't matter/isn't low enough to warrant any problems in admission.
  21. ilovefeet

ilovefeet

Pre-Podiatry
    Thanks guys. I don't want to leave anything up to chance, I honestly would be happy with wherever I end up as long as I get to be a podiatrist at the end of the day!
  22. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not the end of the day, but the end of 7 grueling years!!! :D haha
  23. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

LOL my thoughts excactly.

This is my 100th post.
  24. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Talk to me once you get a k.
  25. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

Haha you will be to busy in pod school by then to even notice.
  26. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha, let's hope you're right!
  27. ilovefeet

ilovefeet

Pre-Podiatry
    you guys are silly, i meant metaphorically :)

is anyone applying for the cycle of 2013?
  28. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do you mean for a seat in 2013? Or do you mean the cycle that OPENS in 2013?

I'm applying in ~month.
  29. fbtmof

fbtmof

Pre-Podiatry
    Im applying in 2013 for a seat in 2014 :) cant wait!
  30. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

I envy you guys I still have a long road ahead, Good luck getting in all.

And have you got your mcat back max
  31. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nope, July 20thish
  32. Cozell

Cozell Busy with College

wow never knew they took that long, I know its early but I was planning on taking the august Mcat (that would put kind of late in the cycle though) to give me time in the summer to study I figured I'd be to bogged down with classes in the spring to study for it.
  33. MaxillofacialMN

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Take a baseline before that. If you score >25 on your first practice, don't waste your whole summer studying, you'll be mad you did.