Podiatry Residency shortage??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudestheman90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
k

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I last heard from Dr. Edwin Wolf, DPM (who is heading up the residency genesis project) - keep in mind, this was earlier in the year and things may have changed - the current plan is a remaining 10% deficit in residency spots for the class of 2013, an equal amount for 2014 graduates, and a projected 10% surplus of spots by the time the c/o 2015 graduates.

If dtrack22 pops by he knows more than I do so maybe he can chime in to the subject.

Hey guys, i came upon this interesting thread. I had no idea about any residency shortage within the field. Is this something i should worry about? The reason i'm asking is because since I'm going to invest a lot of money in my education and don't want to find out at the very end that I'll be left high and dry with no residency. This is simply to big of an investment to ignore this issue. This is something i will definitely investigate more in detail. link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=932948. Any input is well appreciated. Thanks.

One thing to note is that residency shortages are possibilities across the board, meaning MD grads will face this issue as well. With that said diffenitly something to keep an eye on. Best advice is to study your butt off rank high in yur class, pass boards on first try, and network on clerkships and you'll be fine. Sounds like a lot to do but anyone of us has the capability to do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont want to sound pompous... but im sure every other school is the same.

We have a few bottom dwellers who barely squeek by and put in minimal effort.

True, C's get degrees, but if you cant explain simple questions like the theory behind the Charcot foot, or what nerves you would block in an ankle block, etc etc when you are a 3rd year then there is a problem.

Study your butt off and develop patient interaction skills and you should not have to worry about the situation.

Question: Does residency shortage mean, for example, there are 100 graduates and only 90 residency spots? Or does it mean that out of the 100 graduates, only 90 matched a residency? The latter would imply that the 10% who didn't match were not strong applicants, correct?

Probably the best short term solution is making sure that you don't graduate at the bottom of your class.

Also future classes should not have people accepted based on a DAT or GRE score.

Probably the best short term solution is making sure that you don't graduate at the bottom of your class.

Also future classes should not have people accepted based on a DAT or GRE score.

::thumbup::thumbup::

I hope for the best.

I hope that they fix the shortage by the time we graduate... but whether of shortage or not, I want to aim for a top program - not be the bottom of the class, and get the bottom of the residencies.

I'm not sure there is actually a shortage, perse, but just a limited supply.

Although there are 687 pod school spots for the 2013 entering class, not all schools fill their class quota. Of these entering students, quite a few drop out due to various reasons (medical, family, change of mind, financial, etc). Of those that remain, not all pass the Boards and/or have the required GPA to match at many of the residencies. Case in point, Scholl has room to admit 98 students in 2013, but only 82 students went through the 2012 residency match process (6 or 7 students were not eligible). Of these 82, six students did not match even though they were eligible. I'm not sure why and I haven't asked but I would imagine it was unfortunately because of less stellar grades and/or performance on rotations (most likely the C's get the degrees peeps mentioned earlier).

Currently, there are about 547 residency spots across the US (I counted quickly :) ). So, I don't think the 'shortage' is as grave as the word suggests. However, I would imagine things get sticky for students who rank closer to the bottom of their respective class.

Last edited:
From what I last heard from Dr. Edwin Wolf, DPM (who is heading up the residency genesis project) - keep in mind, this was earlier in the year and things may have changed - the current plan is a remaining 10% deficit in residency spots for the class of 2013, an equal amount for 2014 graduates, and a projected 10% surplus of spots by the time the c/o 2015 graduates.

If dtrack22 pops by he knows more than I do so maybe he can chime in to the subject.

Residency Genesis Project Lol, That sounds very funny. But Yeah I do feel though if they are going to take in a certain amount of students then their should be enough residency positions for all the students admitted. If you pass your classes and boards then their should be no reason to be denied a residency, regardless of how socially awkward you are. You are their to treat and make money not to pet and entertain people. Plus you put in a good 200k and 4 years. I even heard their's suppose to be a shortage of pods technically schools are suppose to be taking in more students but their limited b/c of the residency situation.

Here is a video that was posted about two weeks ago where Dr. Wolf addresses the residency shortage.

He pretty much says the same thing I had said above about wanting to increase residency spots to equal 110% of graduating students. I thought I would post the video here so interested students could watch it.

Here is a video that was posted about two weeks ago where Dr. Wolf addresses the residency shortage.

He pretty much says the same thing I had said above about wanting to increase residency spots to equal 110% of graduating students. I thought I would post the video here so interested students could watch it.

Interesting and comforting video. Thanks for the share.

I know these residencies are funding by the federal govt differently than how MD/DO gets funded, but keep this in mind a lot can happen in 4 years. The simpson-Bowles deficit plan is looking at cutting MD/DO GME as we speak, there is no reason why some politician can put DPM residency funding in their cross hairs.
In my mind this is a risk which I am prepared to take on, and I guarantee you the school will not do a whole lot for you if the worst happens in your match.

As to where we stand now, it truly seems that most schools everyone gets matched save for a few people. The dean at DMU was telling us there were 2 who did not get matched, one concealed a DUI conviction and another got seriously ill at board time and is going at it next year. So it seems if you graduate in the top half of your class, then you will most likely be fine in todays environment.
I will say though I probably would not count on the government upping funding to open many more spots. There are many entities getting their budgets cut by the feds, I do not see the DPM lobby being powerful enough to up funding when many are losing funding, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't worry about the shortage. No one can accurately predict how things will be like 4 years from now. The best thing you can do for yourself is to be prepared to work your butt off and you'll be fine

I'll see if there are new numbers. I've got newer numbers than the last time anyone posted on this topic that I can dig up too, As of last count, even factoring in expected part II pass rate, this will be the first year that there is an actual "shortage". It will be interesting to see how new rules (that started last year) affect some of the schools that like to "graduate" their students who don't pass boards and tell them it's all the NBPME's fault...It might decrease the number of "qualified" applicants to the point that it isn't an issue. You also might see fewer applicants who've already received some residency training as it's been made very clear by the programs that those individuals are at a disadvantage. Or maybe we won't. Who knows. One certainty is that if there is a shortage it will roll into 2014. I'm not as optimistic about 2015 as others (given what I know about the number of potential programs they've talked to/been working with), but it shouldn't be an issue for more than 2 years or so. And it will never be an issue for an individual who is punctual and can pretend to be interested for a month during his/her clerkship...

I'm not worried and I definitely wouldn't worry about it as a pre-pod. DPM program's haven't been capped by the feds so opening up new programs isn't an issue of $$$, just manpower/leadership.

GPA certainly plays a part in getting an interview but students are still granted interviews even without stellar GPAs.

The truth is: "graduate at tbe top of your class and you'll be fine" and "pass boards and you'll be fine" is not necessary true- and even if everyone tried,statistically impossible for the former ( unless you go to a certain school, hmm). people still scramble, and there is not enough spots after the scramble. The student idea that "everyone who deserves it gets it" is only propogated for pod, not Medical students. Medical students don't graduate with a shortage like this, thier interviews aren't purely academic, and even with a straight C average can do internal med. That part has been beaten to death- we want parity with MD so badly, just not on the pre professional level.

There is not enough spots for every graduate, period. Every eligable graduate that is. And there
should be- or else someone should tell students other wise before they enter. And yes, because of he shortage you can kick ass in clerkships, meet the program requirements and still not be granted an interview because of unspoken bias at a program- and because demand is greater than supply, programs are fully within thier power to do so.

Students should know this before they go to pod school...but telling any future pre pod "dont worry you will be fine" is not true.

Statistically speaking how many pod students don't match??? if it's 10-15% or less i wouldn't worry too much unless you plan to be at the bottom of your class.

I plan on being in the bottom 15% of my class. Smh