Podiatry vs. Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfetish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this forum will be pretty biased, and I will ask this on the Pod thread as well.

But I'm currently in between both professions and I want to know what to do this cycle;

So let me hear the pro vs cons!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree on shadowing to figure out what is right for you, but do a search and you will find multiple posts highlighting the pros/cons.

You have to find pros and cons for yourself. Using someone else's pros and cons could end up confusing you even more. We're all different people. You gotta get out there on your own and discover which career it is that you enjoy the most.

Podiatry is heading into the same direction as dentistry, a la optometry. What's the diff? Feet or teeth, you choose.

Tbh, pod is my backup plan.

Tbh, pod is my backup plan.

Exactly. I feel like Podiatry isn't respect....none of my family or friends even knew it existed.

I always see Pod as a backup plan, but never the other way around.

I like podiatry because of the hot podiatrist that works at our clinic, I consider breaking a toe so he can help me out....other than that, get friendly with your molars.

Exactly. I feel like Podiatry isn't respect....none of my family or friends even knew it existed.

Well it probably has a lot to do with the amount of pod schools vs dschools. And 2 pod schools accept DAT.

And... Dschools have ridiculous tuition.

Aaaaaand, I agree, noone gives podiatrists respect. It's ignorance, that's all. It's like dentistry. Noone gave it respect until it became very popular.

If you need to ask, then dentistry is not for you.

Stop before you put your foot in your mouth. :D

One HUGE pro that I see in Podiatry is the relative inexpensive cost!

I was looking at the NYU Podiatry program (which is the most expensive dental school) and the cost is something like 40k per year.....so that's 160k total

Compare that with the 400k+ total if you attended that same school's dental program!

Being a dentist isn't respectful... they're not even real doctors. What is dental school, 1 years? 2 years? Ohhh, it's 4 years, really?! You have a doctorate?! We call you Dr. Toothfetish?!

Not knowing that podiatry exists is ignorance and just that, similar to the above ^ which is what the majority of the public thinks about dentistry. Doesn't make either any lesser of a field.

You're in the wrong field buddy, if you're going in for respect. MD is where it's at for that.

Last edited:
Chances are, you won't get any "good" responses on a PRE-DENTAL forum.

Each and every pre-profession students will be elitist, to a point.
Like someone previously said, the ultimate choice is yours, but although I am pre-dental, I don't believe in dismissing other professions due to the lack of understanding of it, or plain elitism.

However, I'm sure there are good reasons to why there are so many pre-dental/dentists.

Chances are, you won't get any "good" responses on a PRE-DENTAL forum.

Each and every pre-profession students will be elitist, to a point.
Like someone previously said, the ultimate choice is yours, but although I am pre-dental, I don't believe in dismissing other professions due to the lack of understanding of it, or plain elitism.

However, I'm sure there are good reasons to why there are so many pre-dental/dentists.

Cost is certainly not one of them.

Although costs of dschool is high, there are other options.
i.e. state schools.

Tell that to the California resident who has UCLA and UCSF to compete with.

Most private schools are $370,000+ where as Podiatry is about $170,000

Income is about the same, it's a huge difference!