Podiatry vs. Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The seven year path didn't bother you? I'll be 32 by then.

You'll be 32 and still living and breathing and enjoying what life has to offer. I'm sure Mees took careful time in making sure why he chose A over B; maybe you can sit down and with some critical thinking, decide for yourself if the 7 year path is worth it for yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey why was PADPM banned? I found his posts very useful.

You'll be 32 and still living and breathing and enjoying what life has to offer. I'm sure Mees took careful time in making sure why he chose A over B; maybe you can sit down and with some critical thinking, decide for yourself if the 7 year path is worth it for yourself.

Thanks Wakaflocka! I completely agree. Toothfetish, don't base your reason for choosing careers based on how long it will take. Anything worth having is worth working hard for. If you are able to (and want to) specialize in a dental field you'll be looking to be done around the age of 32 as well. Also think that at the end of 4 years of dental school and podiatry school you are a complete newbie. For some people the extra hands-on residency experience under their belt will really help their confidence.

I also found PADPM's insights helpful. Not sure why he was banned :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to start your career at age 32 you would still have over 30 years before you reach the usual retirement age. That's a pretty long stretch. I went to school with students who started in their 40s. Hopefully you select a career that you like enough to do for over three decades.

If you were to start your career at age 32 you would still have over 30 years before you reach the usual retirement age. That's a pretty long stretch. I went to school with students who started in their 40s. Hopefully you select a career that you like enough to do for over three decades.

Lol retirement. I wouldn't bank on retiring at sixty two in thirty years.....

Another reason is that most people don't even know what a podiatrist or DPM is....and I have to explain it to them....and that's a big hit to the "prestige" factor.

Another reason is that most people don't even know what a podiatrist or DPM is....and I have to explain it to them....and that's a big hit to the "prestige" factor.

Please stop wasting everyone's time. Go apply to dental school.

I didn't realize you craved this much attention. Well, since you dislike having to constantly justify to others your choice of profession due to "prestige," then just apply for dental school. Maybe down the road later on you'll realize not everyone out there knows the same thing as you. Talk is cheap, results speak for itself.

I didn't realize you craved this much attention. Well, since you dislike having to constantly justify to others your choice of profession due to "prestige," then just apply for dental school. Maybe down the road later on you'll realize not everyone out there knows the same thing as you. Talk is cheap, results speak for itself.

Well, if someone doesn't respect you or compare you to chiropractors, doesn't that say something?

Why isn't there the same level of competition for admissions as there is in dental or medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
It tells me that podiatry is extremely small and relatively unknown.

There are currently more students enrolled in dental school as we speak than practicing podiatrists, student podiatrists and pre-pods combined. That is how small we are talking!

Prestige? Right now it is more prestigious to be a dentist in the public eye. ADA has larger coffers and has a very aggressive advertisement campaign.

I mean realistically (and an adcom can correct me). Most M.D USA schools "height of prestige" give you 35:1 odds (applicants/acceptances). Podiatry schools the odds are closer to 2:1. Realistically, if you fly under the radar like podiatry is doing (for better or worse), the applicant pool will be small and therefore your competition will go down. That can be both a blessing and a curse.

Pro: It is easier to get into, so you don't need to take the mcat 2,3,4 times to get a 30+ to get into medical school b/c you know a 24+ generally seals the deal. My friend working in Yale labs has a 3.6 gpa and 32 mcat, this is his 3rd application cycle. He did a post bac (30k dollars), took the mcat 3 times and he is still waiting to get in.

Con. Your bragging rights to pre-med students (who you will probably never interact with again post graduation) will go wayyy down. Unless you get a residency at a big name school and start calling yourself a foot and ankle surgeon then suddenly people get interested in you again (eye rolls). There will also be professionals who will look down on you initially. Same way caribbean MD's are looked down upon.

As I said in a private post. I think you would be happier being a dentist and there is no shame in that. With the exception of Maxill, nobody will think less of you for being a dentist. Ultimately, you should do what makes you happy.

Side Note: IF, some of the laws I see being propose get passed, look for podiatry schools to get more competitive.

Last edited:
For the record, every surgeon that I worked with (MD or DO) either thought podiatry was a good profession or they did not know much about it. EVERY single time I ever heard a conversation about a dentist while we were in the OR, it was always mocking dentistry - always. Not that I agree with it, bc I think dentistry is a solid field, but I think the previous post about prestige is foolish and probably from someone who has zero work experience in healthcare

. With the exception of Maxill, nobody will think less of you for being a dentist. Ultimately, you should do what makes you happy.

Whoaaaaaa! I don't look down on anyone except Keynesian economists!

I agree you should do what you think is best for you, but I just like promoting podiatry and I personally found it more preferable to dentistry, that's all. :)

Reactions: 1 user
For the record, every surgeon that I worked with (MD or DO) either thought podiatry was a good profession or they did not know much about it. EVERY single time I ever heard a conversation about a dentist while we were in the OR, it was always mocking dentistry - always. Not that I agree with it, bc I think dentistry is a solid field, but I think the previous post about prestige is foolish and probably from someone who has zero work experience in healthcare

The fact that these surgeons mock dentistry while they are in the OR is most likely due to the fact that while the surgeons (as residents )were working 80 hours a week making $50000 their fellow new grad dentists were working half and making double, while the surgeons were taking call on weekends the dentists were sleeping in their beds, while the surgeons were doing pre rounds on Fridays the dentists were on the way to the golf course. They may mock, but do they also envy in a way? I think some do.

My dad is a physician and every time I meet a partner or other physician they always say the same thing to me after I tell them that I'm going to dental school, "smart decision, probably a good choice looking at the way things are going". Sorry for the tangent.

All in all, if OP is looking for prestige as #1 neither dental or podiatry school is the best choice. However both are great careers, more people just know what dentists are due to the ADAs education and the need for regular oral care. If looking for prestige OP, stay away from healthcare. Try top 20 MBA or law school. Cheers!

The fact that these surgeons mock dentistry while they are in the OR is most likely due to the fact that while the surgeons (as residents )were working 80 hours a week making $50000 their fellow new grad dentists were working half and making double, while the surgeons were taking call on weekends the dentists were sleeping in their beds, while the surgeons were doing pre rounds on Fridays the dentists were on the way to the golf course. They may mock, but do they also envy in a way? I think some do.

My dad is a physician and every time I meet a partner or other physician they always say the same thing to me after I tell them that I'm going to dental school, "smart decision, probably a good choice looking at the way things are going". Sorry for the tangent.

All in all, if OP is looking for prestige as #1 neither dental or podiatry school is the best choice. However both are great careers, more people just know what dentists are due to the ADAs education and the need for regular oral care. If looking for prestige OP, stay away from healthcare. Try top 20 MBA or law school. Cheers!

:thumbup: I agree

I was surprised at how Podiatry is well received by almost all the MD/DO that I have met. My cousin who is currently following a general surgeon just told me how the surgeon had a patient with a deep neurotic wound on her foot due to diabetes come in the office. The surgeon said he could do an amputation of the forefoot but referred the patient to a Podiatrist because "he will be able to give you more options about treatment."

I guess it helps that they both use the same OR at the local hospital so they all know each other.

I like the insight from everyone. I'll apply in a few weeks.

That is true for certain insurance carriers in certain states. I receive equal payment and personally would not practice in a state that had separate fee schedules for the same procedures.

What States provide pods with equal repayment?

OK, go ahead and mock me because I'm a dentist. I might only work 30 hours/week, but I work hard. I am doing procedures all day. I'm doing root canals, extractions, implants, dentures, crown/veneer. I run around doing exams for the hygiene patients. I stay on top of my front desk as they make financial arrangements. Oh, and I'm running a business. Just running a business with 25 employees is difficult. Doing it and actually performing as a dentist is very difficult. When I finish each day I am beat.

If you are actually debating dentistry and podiatry, you must like both. So what would be the tie breaker? Well, I'm 29 and should make about 450k in 2014. Yep, I think that should do it. I hate to pull the "I make more money than you" card, OK maybe not really. People say money doesn't buy happiness, this is true, but it does eliminate any financial stress.

Well, I'm 29 and should make about 450k in 2014. Yep, I think that should do it. I hate to pull the "I make more money than you" card, OK maybe not really. People say money doesn't buy happiness, this is true, but it does eliminate any financial stress.

Good for you...

People say money doesn't buy happiness, this is true, but it does eliminate any financial stress.

That depends how you define "financial stress". I have good reason to think a successful career in either dentistry and podiatry would eliminate any sort of "financial stress".

Addendum: provided you're not financially stupid

Last edited:
OK, go ahead and mock me because I'm a dentist. I might only work 30 hours/week, but I work hard. I am doing procedures all day. I'm doing root canals, extractions, implants, dentures, crown/veneer. I run around doing exams for the hygiene patients. I stay on top of my front desk as they make financial arrangements. Oh, and I'm running a business. Just running a business with 25 employees is difficult. Doing it and actually performing as a dentist is very difficult. When I finish each day I am beat.

If you are actually debating dentistry and podiatry, you must like both. So what would be the tie breaker? Well, I'm 29 and should make about 450k in 2014. Yep, I think that should do it. I hate to pull the "I make more money than you" card, OK maybe not really. People say money doesn't buy happiness, this is true, but it does eliminate any financial stress.

This account has two posts, both referring to how much money they make... Sketchy. Either way, no one was mocking you mate. There are podiatrists out there who make more, and yes many who make less (same with dentists). Chill out and get back to your "business".

Moose26
....sounds like a reliable resource. HAHA!!! You my friend sound like one of those guys who ONLY cares about money. I doubt the AVERAGE dentist makes even close to what you say you are making. Just like in podiatry there can be doctors making over $400K and then some making $125K and being at the average or so.
The only people that really don't respect Podiatrists are those at MD med school or those that aren't in the medical field and think the only thing a podiatrist does is cut toe nails. Every MD or DO I talk to that actually has been in the field for more than 10 years believes that Podiatry is gonna be a bigger need than most believe it would be. What happens when you have millions of more elderly than before who NEED foot care by a professional.

Congrats to you my friend on having a great job and an amazing salary, but don't act like we dislike the dentistry field.

Dentists generally won't work for free, don't spend years residency unless its needed for the work they will be doing, and aren't trying to become equitable with MD's. And it works pretty well for them. I love the work of Podiatry, but wish we would follow the dentistry model. If you can get into a public dental school without crazy high tuition, it's hard to argue Podiatry over dentistry.

it's hard to argue Podiatry over dentistry.

It seems pretty self-explanatory to me. Go into dentistry if you're interested in treating the oral cavity; go into podiatry if you're interested in treating the foot, ankle, and lower extremity. What exactly is "hard" about that?

It seems pretty self-explanatory to me. Go into dentistry if you're interested in treating the oral cavity; go into podiatry if you're interested in treating the foot, ankle, and lower extremity. What exactly is "hard" about that?

My opinion from observations in pod school and residency so far, feel free to disagree.

Last edited:
Thanks Wakaflocka! I completely agree. Toothfetish, don't base your reason for choosing careers based on how long it will take. Anything worth having is worth working hard for. If you are able to (and want to) specialize in a dental field you'll be looking to be done around the age of 32 as well. Also think that at the end of 4 years of dental school and podiatry school you are a complete newbie. For some people the extra hands-on residency experience under their belt will really help their confidence.

I also found PADPM's insights helpful. Not sure why he was banned :(

I also found PADPM's posts helpful.

My opinion from observations in pod school and residency so far, feel free to disagree.
I'm only going to disagree because I know full well I would be completely miserable, both personally and professionally, as a dentist. Of course, this is only my opinion.

What city/state do you practice in? Just curious. Thanks.

edit: just realized this bump is from years ago . Oh well