Policy change currently going on at NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podstudent2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let pre-pods who are still considering schools to know some of the policy changes that are currently in going on at NYCPM. I am currently a student here.

Previously, we never got our exams that we took back. We were allowed a 30 minute timeframe to view the questions we got wrong. It was done under a supervised environment so you can't have any electronics or writing material to write the questions down.

Now, you won't be able to get that chance to see what you got wrong on the exam you took. They will only tell you what "categories" that you got wrong in. So for example, if you took an Biochem exam, they will just say, you got 3 questions wrong on Chapter XX or you got 3 questions wrong on the subject of Cholesterol.

The school is being pretty secretive about it and didn't even tell us until just a few days ago. I really don't understand the reasoning for this. Apparently, it's because students were remembering the questions they got wrong during the exam review and then writing it down after they come out of the review session. But that is a stupid reason since during the exam, students can also remember the questions asked.

I thought the whole point of examinations was to learn from your mistakes and be a better educated student. But if you don't know what mistakes you made, how the hell are you supposed to learn from them?

Personally, I think the real reason for this policy change are two-folds.

1. Students have found mistakes the in test questions about they reviewed them and have successfully gotten the questions thrown out of the exams. I'm sure not all professors like that.

2.The class of 2017 has only had 2 students leave so far. This is breaking the trend compared to the past classes. The class of 2017 has way to many people as of now, especially when the January class merges in with the September class which will make it a huge class. I think the school is trying their hardest to get people to fail out.

Here is the policy:

"
This is the revised method:

Method of Examination Review:

Examinations will not be returned to the students. Students may make an appointment with the administrator of the Pre-Clinical Sciences Division to review the topic areas of questions they missed on their exams. Such reviews must take place within two weeks of the posting of the grades. No reviews will be allowed after that time. A copy of the topic areas of questions answered incorrectly will be provided. The time allotted for the review is fifteen minutes. If a student wishes to review with the instructor, he/she should inform the administrator. An appointment may be made to review topic areas individually with the instructor. At the time of the review, a printout of the student’s topic areas of questions answered incorrectly will be provided for review. In any form of review, examinations may not be removed from the room and no notes may be taken. No writing materials or electronic devices are permitted during the review. The Education Committee of the class will meet with the instructor(s) to discuss the exam and difficulties with questions, if any. Final examinations and re-tests or topic areas in those tests will not be reviewed by any student."

So if you are have upcoming interviews at NYCPM, ask about this policy change.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: