Poll: How many hours do you sleep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours do you sleep a day? (average)

• <5 hours

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • 5 to 5.5 hours

Votes: 25 9.6%
  • 6 to 6.5 hours

Votes: 52 19.9%
  • 7 to 7.5

Votes: 81 31.0%

Votes: 47 18.0%
  • >8

Votes: 39 14.9%

• Total voters
Yeah I definitely realize it's necessary for some people to sleep <5 hours/night. I meant to target my post more towards the undergrads who, when it comes down to it, don't really *need* to function on such little sleep. I wouldn't hold it against anyone, but if you can sleep more, I'd definitely take it over trying to squeeze an extra couple hours of studying in right before an exam.
I'm not good at writing responses on here. I was agreeing with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hence why I said correlation vs causation issue. That's the nature of having many uncontrolled variables. I've seen the study discussed before. It's likely that a good number of the people sleeping excessive amounts had underlying health issues leading to that amount of sleep, not the other way around. There's no reason (that I've seen) to think that otherwise healthy individuals are shortening their lives by getting 8 to 9 hours of sleep.
+1

There is a good pool of evidence that dysregulated sleeping patterns, particularly those required of shift work, can be dangerous, however, raising risk factors for everything from cancer to cardiovascular disease.

Reactions: 1 user
~6-6.5/night as a med student. Ideally I try to get 7, but it takes me longer to get to sleep than I'd like. I'll add that I know numerous med students that get around 4-5 hours per night, but they also regularly take naps. You gotta do what you gotta do.

If you actually worked with the authors of the paper, I'd be curious to know if they took naps into account in that study or any later ones. It asks people how many hours they sleep per night, which makes me assume they didn't measure any sleep occurring during the day since they never mention it...

I am almost certain that naps were not taken into account in terms of calculating average sleep time. In other words if a person sleeps 5 hours a night and then also has a 2 hour nap then the person would not be recorded as sleeping 7 hours a night. There was a recent study by the Bureau of Labor Statistics that calculated total sleep time by combining naps and nighttime sleep. This study was discussed several weeks ago and the doctors said this was a different methodology to calculate total sleep time than the one used in the Cancer Prevention Study.

Edit: Here is a link to questionaire used in the study. It asks, "On average, how many hours do you sleep each night?" There are no questions about naps and no area of the survey where a person could have added such information. This would certainly be valuable information to have.
http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/co...rveilance/documents/document/acspc-025727.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
+1

There is a good pool of evidence that dysregulated sleeping patterns, particularly those required of shift work, can be dangerous, however, raising risk factors for everything from cancer to cardiovascular disease.

True. I wonder if there is a study like this done with nurses as they are a huge population that all have the occupation, which would limit several variables such as socioeconomic and education level.

True. I wonder if there is a study like this done with nurses as they are a huge population that all have the occupation, which would limit several variables such as socioeconomic and education level.
Anecdotally, breast cancer rates in my old department of over 120 people that worked rotating shifts were astronomical. **** cancer.

I've been trying to get 8 lately, but senioritis + procrastination is making this very difficult.

Does everyone on here have a GPA of >3.6 :(

8 hours, 4.0
6 hours, 3.8
2-4 hours, 3.5
Frequent all-nighters and two 80 hour stints, 3.0

Edit: for grammar and clarity, I hadn't slept for 36 hours when writing this post.

Last edited:
I would like to say something, but it's not my GPA nor MCAT score.... I just realized that I'm not getting into medical school........ :D You guys all have incredible stats. -gulps- MFA in Creative writing, here I come. :D :claps:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually a little jealous. I wish I could do vet school and get an MFA at the same time.
Oh, don't worry. You probably have a better GPA than me, nothing to be jealous about. :D I wish they had MD/MFA programs. That would be the best. Because I have no clue when I'm going to get an MFA.... after residency? :shrug:

As an aside, I think it's fully possible to have great sleep. I'm practically done with first year and I've had great sleep each night, and through undergrad. And I did and continue to do very well .

Oh, don't worry. You probably have a better GPA than me, nothing to be jealous about. :D I wish they had MD/MFA programs. That would be the best. Because I have no clue when I'm going to get an MFA.... after residency? :shrug:
Probably not after this semester :oops: Hard to keep the motivation going when you know you've gotten into vet school.

One of my writing professors pointed out that you don't need an MFA to write or publish (though it does occasionally help with the publishing part). And there are always writing workshops you can do online, or communities (similar to SDN) you can join to talk to other writers. For me it definitely wouldn't be feasible to get an MFA, if I still wanted to, for a good long while. I'll have loans to pay off and all that.

Probably not after this semester :oops: Hard to keep the motivation going when you know you've gotten into vet school.

One of my writing professors pointed out that you don't need an MFA to write or publish (though it does occasionally help with the publishing part). And there are always writing workshops you can do online, or communities (similar to SDN) you can join to talk to other writers. For me it definitely wouldn't be feasible to get an MFA, if I still wanted to, for a good long while. I'll have loans to pay off and all that.
It's true. I have 7,000 words written so far. :D Hopefully I can get 50,000 by November. :D How's your writing going?

It's true. I have 7,000 words written so far. :D Hopefully I can get 50,000 by November. :D How's your writing going?
I have a couple of published stories. Right now I'm working on a book, I'm about 4 or 5 chapters in. Not sure on the word count, just that is 35 pages double spaced. I'm hoping to get a good chunk of it done before August. Good luck with your writing :D

Last edited:
Anywhere between 3-14 hrs a night. 6 before exams

How many hours do you study, spend with friends, doing ECs, etc?

I can't maintain a normal schedule, so I'm getting 6-14 hours of sleep, but I'm rarely awake for less than 18-20 hours at a time. I wish I could get 6-8 and fall asleep at the same time each night :mad:

I get 7-8 hours of sleep and have a 3.9 GPA. I get the same amount of sleep before tests as I do before any other day.

I have yet to take the MCAT.