Poll: How much loans will you be taking out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimavocado

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a rough estimated of those pursuing MPH degree.

How much are you guys loaning for a standard 2-year program?

Members don't see this ad.

Between 58,000 to 67,000. Most of it is un-subsidized fed direct loans. The rest GradPlus.

I'm going to try to keep it under 50k, but it'll likely be somewhere between 50-70k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine will be roughly in the same range, bit I may reduce it the 2nd year if I am able to do research or supplement my income a bit better.

Hopefully I'll be able to get full funding for my PhD though.

Interests are quite high on grad plus :/
Unfortunately, for anybody going to some of the more expensive schools, they may be the only way to cover their costs since you can only take out up to $33k/year in un-subsidized loans. Personally, I'm going to try to take out as little in Grad Plus as I can. I'll probably take out a little bit extra my first semester since I'll be moving to a new city and have no definite income yet.

Interests are quite high on grad plus :/
Unfortunately, for anybody going to some of the more expensive schools, they may be the only way to cover their costs since you can only take out up to $33k/year in un-subsidized loans. Personally, I'm going to try to take out as little in Grad Plus as I can. I'll probably take out a little bit extra my first semester since I'll be moving to a new city and have no definite income yet.

Also, it is eligible for PSLF, which is a good plus for me.

$30,000 all-in. Tuition is $10k total, the rest is for living expenses at approximately ~$800 per month (I'll also be working part-time).

I'm doing $33 for year 1, and probably the same for year 2.