Poll on exam room computer terminals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olafa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For exam rooms what is your set up?

1. laptop, desk top or iPad -like device

2. computer at small sit down desk/or workstation in room or

3. Stand up computer on wheels

iPad seems practical in that cuts the needs for multiple computers stationary in every exam room, but impractical when you have to start imputing and clicks and editing :( I don't think this would work for our EMR, technically it could but would drive me crazy

I like the idea of standup (could also adjust for sit down if needed) mobile work station (like at the hospital), frees up room space, cut down on number of computer terminal in treatment areas.

Members don't see this ad.

Pacs terminal is all I want. Use my iPhone for software etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me and patient.

Dictate after encounter on laptop outside exam room.

Reactions: 2 users
The idea of computer on wheels is appealing, I use scribe for new patients so for me leaving the computers outside leaves more to be done later. In my current arrangement we have have sm sit down work stations each room w computer, including computers in every corner of the clinic practically (reception, MA stations, auth, scheduling, admin and physicians offices) seems very duplicated. But all are used. We have web access to imaging thus separate terminal not needed. I want to streamline yet be efficient with clinic growth on the horizon

I actually don't chart either with pts in the room. I just take notes on paper and use templates later. Here's my ultra low overhead, shared office setup.

Attachments

• office.jpg
    office.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 53
I actually don't chart either with pts in the room. I just take notes on paper and use templates later. Here's my ultra low overhead, shared office setup.

I have my MA click EMR as I do exam. Notes on paper and then dictate when I leave room. Sitting is important. Patients perceive that you spent more time with them if you sit than when you stand although time spent was the same.