Poll: The oldest medical student, I know is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks this is such a great post and gives me hope

Members don't see this ad.

The oldest person in my class is a guy about 38. He would have been 36 in first year.

Friend of a friend was just accepted at 52 years old.

As an aside:

One of my classmates started at age 53. He is now practicing Family Medicine on a Native American reservation in South Dakota. Another friend was 52 when she started which means that both of these folks were applicants well above age 50. GWU graduated a gentleman who was 53 in the late 1990s.

University of Maryland graduated a 61 year-year-old in the late 1990s who went into family medicine. There have been reports of a couple of folks in their 60s who were able to gain admission to medical school.

It isn't so much the age as the energy level of the person and what they bring to the table. My classmate had been a very energetic minister and a graduate of Yale Divinity School before medical school. I used to run into him on the jogging trail at the end of the runway at National Airport in DC. The two of us ran on a regular basis.

I started at age 46, graduated at age 49 (turned 50 three weeks later) and now have completed General Surgery residency and Vascular Surgery fellowship. Just completed a 1 mile swim this afternoon (post call and did two cases overnight) and now planning to take my little Skyhawk out for a late afternoon flying session. It isn't the age, it's the person.

You sir, are my new personal hero. I'm serious :D

Members don't see this ad :)
That story makes me happy, because it's exactly what I want to do! Right down to the reservation. <3

I was just talking to a patient's family member on Saturday and he graduated medical school at 57.

I graduated from an Allopathic US Med school at age 49 and 3 weeks. Although I am not the oldest Med student, yet I arrived to the US when I was 34 and that's when I learned English (my 4th language). I entered med school at age 43. I am curious to know how many people can actually learn a different language at an older age, as mine, then study medicine in that language without any medical background?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In some of my post-bacc classes there was a lady who is 43 now...She applied and was accepted to AUC and Ross, and last I heard she will start at Ross January 2012 at 44.

me--I'm just hoping to graduate before I turn 40.

I'll be 41 or 42 during my first year of dental...

If all goes to plan, I will matriculate at 45. Plan to do either EM or CAPsych, depending on how tired and wizened I feel :laugh:.

A

Anyone who entered med school at age 43 whose English is not first and learned it at age 34 or beyond?

If it was only myself then I am qualified to enter the book of genesis (or whatever it's name)

This thread makes me feel nice and young.

Although I will say that a couple of the allopathic programs I interviewed with were extremely rude and negative about my age....... combative, even.

Geez, why did they waste your time with an interview if they thought you were inappropriately aged??

I met a mother of a friend several years ago who was applying to MS in her late 60s. Lost touch though and don't know how it played out for her.

I'll be about 30 going in, if all works out, so not all that old comparatively.

I am 52 and will be starting my 1st year of medical school in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow- this is very inspirational! Of these people you are talking about, how many are women? Also, do you know if they have kids that still live at home? I wonder how that affects one's choice to pursue medical school.

I am 51 and will be starting my first year at Texas Tech (Lubbock) in just a few weeks. I hope to go through the FMAT program (Family Medicine Accelerated Tract), which will allow me to graduate in three years -- time's a wasting!

Anyone who entered med school at age 43 whose English is not first and learned it at age 34 or beyond?

If it was only myself then I am qualified to enter the book of genesis (or whatever it's name)

Anyone??????

Since I really won't be able to apply much before 47, I was curious about the oldest medical school applicants/students that you know...
okay- so now it is 2012.... and here is more information about age and medical school:
First, notice that the older the student, the more likely to be male. That is no coincidence. Society still has less trouble with older men entering professions. This is a shame, especially given statistics showing that women are more likely to spend a good part of their early lives helping others before looking after their own goals, especially if they are from the lower middle class.
Second, I was 40 and the oldest student in my MS1 class. I was the ONLY older female student who was not either a PhD or a wife of a doctor.
Incidentally, I did not find medical school more challenging than anyone else, except for the discrimination that was so predominant among the doctors who taught. Much of the discrimination was from younger physicians, who (as one interviewer said to me) "would not do it again at (my) age."
Good luck-- but be tough. The worst part of age discrimination is that it is indirect much of the time. For example, I had some family illness to which I attended during medical school and had to go before the scholastic committee to address the issues. The student dean routinely began her conversations with the phrase, "She has passed her courses, but with all that has been going on, has she really learned the material?" This is a question she never would have been able to ask without the age being in everyone's minds. Afterall, I passed (and passed well, by the way.)
This was a major medical school, people, that prides itself on accepting older students.

First, notice that the older the student, the more likely to be male.
Based on what? Your observations? Traffic on SDN? Perhaps this is a suspicion you have, not a fact? What else could it be?
Second, I was 40 and the oldest student in my MS1 class. I was the ONLY older female student who was not either a PhD or a wife of a doctor.
That's one school, one MD class, n=1. C'mon, you have to do better than that if you want credibility.
Incidentally, I did not find medical school more challenging than anyone else, except for the discrimination that was so predominant among the doctors who taught. Much of the discrimination was from younger physicians, who (as one interviewer said to me) "would not do it again at (my) age."
Where's the discrimination here? You're in med school. Are they grading you on a different curve?

People saying they wouldn't do what you're doing doesn't equate with discrimination. You're choosing to take it personally - why? Gotta go with Eleanor Roosevelt here:
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Good luck-- but be tough. The worst part of age discrimination is that it is indirect much of the time. For example, I had some family illness to which I attended during medical school and had to go before the scholastic committee to address the issues. The student dean routinely began her conversations with the phrase, "She has passed her courses, but with all that has been going on, has she really learned the material?" This is a question she never would have been able to ask without the age being in everyone's minds. Afterall, I passed (and passed well, by the way.)
Do you honestly think the younger med students don't have the same experience? Really? Why do you think such comments are about your age? A poor performance on a single exam for a board-tested subject (such as, say, GI in physio) is enough for a med school to consider remediation. Whether you're 24 or 34 or 44. The med school is responsible for your training - if you miss a chunk of time, the med school is responsible for the material you missed.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time in med school. I suggest that you could get a great deal more out of it if you're not looking for the grand unifying reason for your feelings of being persecuted. I suggest you may get more mileage from observing the highly successful and personable students and faculty (of any age) who are mostly enjoying themselves - what are they doing that you aren't doing? What can you learn from them that might help you during your residency search, so that you're not going with AGE DISCRIMINATION then?

To post about AGE DISCRIMINATION in the nontrad forum on SDN surely is the only satisfaction you'll have on this issue, and now that's spent. Nobody in this forum is going to do a single thing differently based on your information, except that there may be more fear and wringing of hands. Congrats for spreading that.

Best of luck to you from a 45 year old female low-undergrad-GPA med student.

47 single female starting this August.

All the medical students in their 50s, 40s, and 30s are such inspirations. I feel so old applying at 27.

I will be the oldest if I don't stop reading SDN and get back to Chemistry.

Since I really won't be able to apply much before 47, I was curious about the oldest medical school applicants/students that you know...
I just completed my 2nd year and I will soon turn 51. My next oldest classmate is 45. I have at least 3 other classmates above the age of 35.

This thread gives me hope... I am in my mid 30s and I thought most schools will reject me due to my age when I apply this cycle... That does not seem to be the case at all...

I just completed my 2nd year and I will soon turn 51. My next oldest classmate is 45. I have at least 3 other classmates above the age of 35.

This is so cool!! Although I'm not far from my cheaper meal at the local IHOP/Denny's, I'll be going to the Oktoberfest in Munich at 85 years old, 35-37 years after I graduate from med school that is!! :)

Last edited:

Dont know anyone personally, however I will be 42 by the time I start this year as a first year medical student.

Lol this thread is probably older than some med students by now.

You're really never too old. There's always a way. We recently placed a 65 year old in a Romanian university (now in 3rd year because we helped him get an advanced placement). My uncle is 72 and wants to start next year! I think its more a matter of how open universities are to accepting mature students.

With regards to a visit to the doctor, I would feel more comfortable going to a more mature doctor!

My sister's godfather was 50 when he graduated from med school. And some of his kids are around my age! He graduated w/ a woman who was 49 (he beat her for oldest graduate by a few months lol)

My cousin graduated when he was 34. And well, myself, as if I'm following some sort of non-trad med student family tradition, MS4, @ 36. And I'm not the oldest in my class. There's a 52 yo ex-podiatrist.

I've learned English at age 34, it was my 4th, made it to Grad school at age 39 and med school at age 43. I think it is kinda tough when studying medicine at age 43 with English is not your first!

Reactions: 2 users
Someone above noted that a 61 year old graduated with a DO from an osteopathic in 2004. My research indicates that two more 61 year olds have been grated DOs in the years since then.

HOWEVER, when I graduate next month at the age of 59, as far as my research has been able to determine, I will be the oldest person ever granted a new MD from a U.S. allopathic medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
In about 1976, there was a retired female police officer who was accepted at age 57 to the SUNY medical school where I was clerk for adcom (she had been involved in forensics in I recall). She turned it down to attend Yale Medical. Circa 1980, there was a retired New York Judge who was accepted to a SUNY medical school at age 63. I do not have info if either graduated
My oldest was 53. Is now an ER doc in a Midwest.

Not that old in comparison, but I know a cardiologist who started med school at 40. I know several people who went to med school or who will start in their thirties, including myself. Starting in your thirties seems so young when you compare it to people who start in their 40s and older.

okay- so now it is 2012.... and here is more information about age and medical school:
First, notice that the older the student, the more likely to be male. That is no coincidence. Society still has less trouble with older men entering professions. This is a shame, especially given statistics showing that women are more likely to spend a good part of their early lives helping others before looking after their own goals, especially if they are from the lower middle class.
This was a major medical school, people, that prides itself on accepting older students.

While I agree the sometimes open discrimination against nontrads feels a little outrageous at times, the placements of qualified older students here seems to be extremely favorable.

We'd really be better off if they just openly said "we don't like older candidates, here's 50 schools who are consider being older a major plus" on their websites rather that having us plunk for interviews, secondaries, etc, when they aren't really going to take you.

While I agree the sometimes open discrimination against nontrads feels a little outrageous at times, the placements of qualified older students here seems to be extremely favorable.

We'd really be better off if they just openly said "we don't like older candidates, here's 50 schools who are consider being older a major plus" on their websites rather that having us plunk for interviews, secondaries, etc, when they aren't really going to take you.
I would urge you to look at the past decades acceptance threads for non-trads. Look through all of that and then find a school that does not take non-trads. You might find a handful where people have not been accepted. The reality is a lot of people want a pass on terrible gpa's or mcats because of their non-trad status, and when that doesnt happen they claim it is age discrimination. Looking inwards at our own applications would probably shed more light on where the placement discrepancies occur. It is the app, not the age that is holding people back.

I would urge you to look at the past decades acceptance threads for non-trads. Look through all of that and then find a school that does not take non-trads. You might find a handful where people have not been accepted. The reality is a lot of people want a pass on terrible gpa's or mcats because of their non-trad status, and when that doesnt happen they claim it is age discrimination. Looking inwards at our own applications would probably shed more light on where the placement discrepancies occur. It is the app, not the age that is holding people back.

By and large, nontrads seem to be placing above their stats.

There are isolated reports of flagrant bias against some older candidates. Solution is to shrug shoulders and apply to some place that likes non-trads, not go SJW.

I am 53 and a M2. At Nebraska.

At UNMC?! After I interviewed there (in 2016, at 46yo), I'd concluded that the UNMC medical school was basically openly hostile to anyone above 35yo (and additionally, had zero track record of accepting anyone above that age). My application experience was so unpleasant that I decided that I'd rather would have jumped off a cliff onto rocks rather than reapply.

Very surprised to hear that they accepted somebody in their 50s. Congrats! Despite my sour experience in applying to medical school, I was a graduate student at UNMC and loved it - fantastic school with great faculty.

Last edited:
We have two in my first year class who are close to or over 50. I’m 23 and one of the youngest by far. Most people are 25-35. We have people in our class who have children in their 20s (Their children are old enough to be med students.)