POLL - TouroNY Harlem vs. MU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you attend?

• MU-COM

• TouroNY-Harlem

Results are only viewable after voting.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts? Which would you attend?
Feel free to add in your reason(s)!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are set on doing residency in NY I would choose Marian. Way more stuff going on at that school. No fighting for clinical rotations. Strong research active professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very surprised to see MUCOM take the lead over Touro

Med students love to complain, but I have some very valid gripes with touro. Frequency of exams, attendance policy, and ultra militant OMM department.

On average we take 1-2 tests a week. A few times you'll be writing 3-4 tests in one week. Finals week you'll be writing 6-7 final exams in 5 days.

Our OMM department is proud to go beyond what's on the boards.
For example:
-NYCOM practicals test you on OMM techniques and at the end of second year they get a full case.
-Touro, from the very first practical exam, gives you cases. We're expected to do a full examination, diagnosis, and treatment.

10% of our grade is tied to attendance. We take 24 credits first semester, 32 credits second semester.

Due to a mixture of all of the above, you will have zero time to do research, beside the 8 weeks of summer.

I hope this gives you insight of more detailed questions to ask from MU students.

Edit: and on interview tours Touro brags about conducting research. That's laughable. Ask them how many papers the entire research department publishes in pubmed in a given year.

Reactions: 1 user
Most med schools in New York, with the possible exception of NYU, have serious clinical rotation shortages. CUNY is planning on opening a full class in the next year (partnering with St. Barnabas for clinicals) and Seton Hall is planning on opening a new school in North Jersey (partnering with Hackensack for clinicals). The 2 schools that are going to lose the most are Touro and NYIT students because Touro students do rotations at Hackensack while NYIT students use Barnabas. When the issue came up during a student government meeting at Touro-NY, Dean Goldberg said that he is heavily "campaigning" to get Harlem Hospital for rotations to offset the number. To give him credit, he did a 1 hour presentation during the annual AMA conferance on why hospitals should cut ties with offshore schools. Currently, besides Touro, Columbia is also looking to fight for Harlem Hospital. Currently, most students go to Jersey for rotations and Touro has opened up many residencies in those hospitals.
Despite the drama of clinical education at Touro-NY, the pre-clinical years are awesome. You have the "flip" curriculum which allows class time to be more discussion oriented and case reviews. I've heard that the curriculum is the best part of Touro. You also have some awesome faculty members that are committed to education. Despite what the other poster has stated, research is also big at Touro-Harlem. I've heard that OMM is also pretty heavy at Touro-NY. Students are required to return to campus frequently during years 3-4 for OMM review.

I've only heard good things about MUCOM. Like Touro-NY, they are very mission focused but, unlike Touro-NY, they actually sick to their mission. Indy is awesome. You don't have rotation drama because the hospital has partnerships with most of the Catholic Hospitals in the state. I don't have any friends at MUCOM so I don't know much about much else. I'm sure MUCOM also has decent research opportunities considering its proximity to Indy, a Bioscience hub.

I for one am astonished at the amount of people who picked MU-COM over Touro. I guess I'll have to do lots more thinking.

Most med schools in New York, with the possible exception of NYU, have serious clinical rotation shortages. CUNY is planning on opening a full class in the next year (partnering with St. Barnabas for clinicals) and Seton Hall is planning on opening a new school in North Jersey (partnering with Hackensack for clinicals). The 2 schools that are going to lose the most are Touro and NYIT students because Touro students do rotations at Hackensack while NYIT students use Barnabas. When the issue came up during a student government meeting at Touro-NY, Dean Goldberg said that he is heavily "campaigning" to get Harlem Hospital for rotations to offset the number. To give him credit, he did a 1 hour presentation during the annual AMA conferance on why hospitals should cut ties with offshore schools. Currently, besides Touro, Columbia is also looking to fight for Harlem Hospital. Currently, most students go to Jersey for rotations and Touro has opened up many residencies in those hospitals.
Despite the drama of clinical education at Touro-NY, the pre-clinical years are awesome. You have the "flip" curriculum which allows class time to be more discussion oriented and case reviews. I've heard that the curriculum is the best part of Touro. You also have some awesome faculty members that are committed to education. Despite what the other poster has stated, research is also big at Touro-Harlem. I've heard that OMM is also pretty heavy at Touro-NY. Students are required to return to campus frequently during years 3-4 for OMM review.

I've only heard good things about MUCOM. Like Touro-NY, they are very mission focused but, unlike Touro-NY, they actually sick to their mission. Indy is awesome. You don't have rotation drama because the hospital has partnerships with most of the Catholic Hospitals in the state. I don't have any friends at MUCOM so I don't know much about much else. I'm sure MUCOM also has decent research opportunities considering its proximity to Indy, a Bioscience hub.

Just to clarify...Touro students do not rotate at Hackensack in NJ. Some of the Touro residencies under NYCOMEC rotate through Hackensack...for which they will be fine. As med students you are focused on "rotation drama"...most of that drama is just BS, you got other things to focus on; you will be fine. I went to the same med school, rotated through those same hospitals that were (at the time) considered less desirable rotation spots, and still matched. Key is, a terrible student will be terrible no matter which rotation spot (in the country) they get; don't be that student. Make up your mind of which student you want to be; your attitude is the most important thing. Your goal is to match into your #1 choice of residency, don't let these distractions make you lose focus; rotations are a means to an end.

Reactions: 1 user