Poor DAT practice scores...Need advice... so depressed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoe207

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I am about to take the DAT on Tuesday. After 3 months of studying, I finally took a practice test (Kaplan CD), and got miserable scores:

Bio/Chem/Orgo: 12/13/13
PAT: 16
RC: 15
QR: 14

My main problem was time and also, I drew a blank on many of the questions. I really need your honest opinion guys, if you were me, should I re-schedule my exam to a later date, or should I just wing it (this is my first take). If re-schedule, is one month more than enough? Or should I just cancel the test and withdraw my aplication altogether and just reapply for 2009 cycle? (The thing is the schools are just waiting for my DAT scores, but I'm wondering if January is a little too late to take the DAT?) I've read somewhere before that someone took the test on January and still got in.

ugh, don't know what to do... i really dont want to wait for another extra year doing nothing..., I feel so depressed right now, like I'm the biggest loser on the whole world!!! But anyway, I appreciate any honest opinions/advices that you can give me.

:(

(ps: probably doesn't matter with my low scores, but I do have a decent gpa 3.8/3.9 bcp)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to seriously reevaluate your studying method because obviously it's flawed... but that is sort of weird because your gpa is fantastic. Anyway, what are you using to study for the test?

I would suggest enrolling in the Kaplan Online course and doing EVERYTHING they have (all the lectures, quizzes, subject tests, and practice exams). In my opinion, I think you should also purchase DAT Destroyer and do the problems multiple times--not just once. DAT Achiever, which I am currently on, is proving to be a tough, but good resource. I think the combination of those three resources will get your DAT score up significantly.

I don't have any advice about the application process since I am a first-timer also. I will be applying for the first time next summer, so... I hope things work out for you. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the response UVA!

Well my study materials are the ff: Kaplan Blue Book, Destroyer, BArron's DAT

I've only went through with the Destroyer once, and I always look at the answers and understand them, instead of solving it on my own, since I figured it would save me time and just go to the answers directly. (I guess this isnt the proper way to do it then and u are right, I should re-evaluate how i study)

Yes I know my gpa is high, for some reason I do well in school because I learn the material better @a structured setting/ and I am more disciplined somehow when I'm in school, since it becomes routine for me to do hw, etc. And also there's more time given during exams :) Wish I could enroll in the online Kaplan course,, but seriously, I cannot afford it...

anyway, thanks for wishing me luck! I wish u luck too... :thumbup:

DEFINTELY reschedule your DAT to a later date.

Personally, I felt the Kaplan CD practice test was a bit easier than the actual. You really need to either 1. have a better understanding of the material or 2. take more practice tests until you are more comfortable with the CBT format.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
RESCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your GPA vs DAT will be so unbalanced you wont get in anywhere. Take some time and properly prepare yourself for the DAT.

If you are taking classes in the spring I suggest 2 things:

1) Take out an extra 1g in loans. Use the money to enroll in the kaplan class. You already mentioned how you like structure. The class meets multiple times a week and has homework/quizzes etc.. that have to be completed.

2) Take a very light course load so you can devote all time to studying.

Thank you Jigabodo, your advice is greatly appreciated! I've seen your posts and you've been very helpful to everyone here, most esp to us newbies :D :thumbup:

Will reschedule my exam then, I hope 1 month is enough! :scared:

addition: Lopy, I'm done with school and just started repayment for my school loan :( I quit my p/t job since I started studying for the DAT, so i'm really broke lol --also I'm gunning for this 2008 cycle.. so yeah, I'm not sure how it'll work out. But i will definitely reschedule as you guys suggested... thank you!

Well my study materials are the ff: Kaplan Blue Book, Destroyer, BArron's DAT

This may be your problem. Barron's contains many errors. Read the PAT portion and toss the rest.

Otherwise, I agree with everything posted. You need to analyze your right/wrong answers.

u seriously need to take more practice exams
three months of studying and only one practice exam?
u learn more when u take practice exams (without looking at the answers), get them wrong, and then figure out why they're wrong
at least it worked for me :)

Yeah, I think you have to put off the test. If you took it and pulled those kind of scores, then retook it and did well, adcoms still might have trouble overlooking your first 12's and 13's.

You should re schedule with enough time to go through the Kaplan book and then use destroyer. Tie in Achiever and Top Score to help you with time and use of the software. Also be prepared to use the dry erase board for notes and working problems.

My practice test scores were terrible. What did I do? Learn the subjects I kept getting wrong answers in very well and that really helped me out. Practice tests exsist to get you used to the DAT and to give you an oppertunity to improve opon your weak spots. Spend an entire day going over your practice tests, which includes studying topics you got wrong. If you got a question wrong on mitosis, go back and read everything on mitosis again. Just gotta do it!

Thank you Jigabodo, your advice is greatly appreciated! I've seen your posts and you've been very helpful to everyone here, most esp to us newbies :D :thumbup:

Will reschedule my exam then, I hope 1 month is enough! :scared:

addition: Lopy, I'm done with school and just started repayment for my school loan :( I quit my p/t job since I started studying for the DAT, so i'm really broke lol --also I'm gunning for this 2008 cycle.. so yeah, I'm not sure how it'll work out. But i will definitely reschedule as you guys suggested... thank you!

Hey Echoe, I would take more than one month to study for the DATs. I understand you've already started studying so study hard for 2 or 3 months and take the test when you're 100% confident you can nail the test. I don't think you should take the DATs until you see consistant 18s and 19s on your practice exams (they usually make the practice ones a little harder than the real thing). I also think it might be too late for you to apply for this cycle. There's no point in rushing into your DATs when your not prepared just to squeeze in your application for this cycle. I suggest you enroll yourself into the kaplan class, study this winter break and for at least a month into your spring semester.