Poor freshman grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasabi1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished freshman year with a 2.56 cum gpa. I'm taking summer courses now to raise this up to about a 3.0. Is my gpa too damaged to realistically pursue the MD? I don't really have a valid medical excuse... in fact if it wasn't for the class participation/homework parts of the courses I would have gotten A's across the board, which really burns. I'm active in EC's, (editor for school paper, Chief MUN delegate, edit lit review), and just started volunteering at hospital and a few other places. I took two prereqs this year; one was a C, the other a W.
How bad/common is my situation? (I'm aware I need to change my study habits)

First semester:
C+ - art history
C - euro history
C+ - russian
B - russian lit
Second Semester:
C - intro to cell bio
B+- media studies
B - russian
W (withdrawn/not part of gpa) - genetics/evolution

Members don't see this ad.

I did a quick calculation and based on your current cGPA and limited number of course hours...

If you take 78 more credit hours (giving you about a 100 total) and get A's in all of those classes, your cGPA will be a....wait for it...

This would put you in the competive range, however you will have a lot of explaining to do about why you had such a terrible year.

Turn it around!

I did a quick calculation and based on your current cGPA and limited number of course hours...

If you take 78 more credit hours (giving you about a 100 total) and get A's in all of those classes, your cGPA will be a....wait for it...

This would put you in the competive range, however you will have a lot of explaining to do about why you had such a terrible year.

Turn it around!
this leaves very little room for error...so yeah, good luck with that OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
The good news: The various BS classes you took will not ultimately affect your sGPA. This means if you stay dedicated, and pump out As in your biology, chemistry, physics and math courses you should have no problem obtaining a competitive science GPA.

The bad news: Your cGPA is pretty low, but not necessarily unsalvageable. Focus on your core classes. You may need to take an extra semester or two to bump your GPA and possible re take some courses, but with a bunch of As and a few expectable Bs here and there, you still have a shot. Make sure you solidify As in the easier pre requisites like Gen Bio, Gen Chem etc...

Don't overdo yourself with extra curriculars. Grades always come first.

this leaves very little room for error...so yeah, good luck with that OP.

hope he is a sharp shooter then ;)

But OP, at least you already have an upward trend according to your second semester grades.

You'll do well if you raise your GPA to a 3.6+ and apply in your fourth year!

Getting all A's for the next two or three years in upper level chem, bio, physics and calculus classes may be a bit of a stretch. If I majored in something I knew I am able to do very well in and then did a postbacc, would that be a better idea?

Getting all A's for the next two or three years in upper level chem, bio, physics and calculus classes may be a bit of a stretch. If I majored in something I knew I am able to do very well in and then did a postbacc, would that be a better idea?

With the average GPA for matriculating medical students hovering at a 3.6, asking for mostly As isn't too much to ask. There should be no reason you are planning a post bacc when you haven't completed more than one pre requisite course. Study hard.