Poor scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG needing a visa..have my step 1 score of 213/80..when i looked up FREIDA found many programmes in Ped requiring a 85 in step 1...was not excited at all with my step 1 score and now it has driven me to the point of depression..am still a medical student...wanted to do electives in peds in my final year..but considering that i may be filtered out at the start gives me so much goosebumps...:(:(:(:(:(..probably never felt so low before...is it worth continuing from here on:(:(:oops::oops::oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I am an IMG needing a visa..have my step 1 score of 213/80..when i looked up FREIDA found many programmes in Ped requiring a 85 in step 1...was not excited at all with my step 1 score and now it has driven me to the point of depression..am still a medical student...wanted to do electives in peds in my final year..but considering that i may be filtered out at the start gives me so much goosebumps...:(:(:(:(:(..probably never felt so low before...is it worth continuing from here on:(:(:oops::oops::oops:

what are your step 2 scores? you can take step one again since you are still in med school and are not even past the five years of grad to be listed as old img etc..

I haven't given my step 2 ck yet..but really is that possible??can i give step 1 again??i have passed it once and i have read specifically that once you have given step 1 and passed,the grades remain there and one cannot improve the grades by reappearing for step 1 within 7 years...am in med school,in my prefinal year...and will be completeing it by another year and half...but really can one do that??
Thank you so much that you replied me back:)

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, you cannot retake STEP1. 213 Step 1 is fine for peds as an AMG. As an IMG, it might be a little borderline but if you can improve on STEP2, rural peds program should definitely be within reach.

As far as I know, you cannot retake STEP1. 213 Step 1 is fine for peds as an AMG. As an IMG, it might be a little borderline but if you can improve on STEP2, rural peds program should definitely be within reach.

That's what i even knew..Thank you so so much for your reply..Rural programe means community programme??well can a good step 2 Ck score bit of at least make up for my poor step 1 score??Will research be helpful??
Seriously have no fascination about region or geography( as an IMG,one can't be choosy:laugh:)...Rural or urban i won't mind at all...Residency in a mid-tier peds programme was a little expectation that i had..probably now fading in the air..
Thanks for your kindness in replying me back:)

That's what i even knew..Thank you so so much for your reply..Rural programe means community programme??well can a good step 2 Ck score bit of at least make up for my poor step 1 score??Will research be helpful??
Seriously have no fascination about region or geography( as an IMG,one can't be choosy:laugh:)...Rural or urban i won't mind at all...Residency in a mid-tier peds programme was a little expectation that i had..probably now fading in the air..
Thanks for your kindness in replying me back:)

I don't know why someone would tell you that 213 is bad score. 213 on STEP 1 is an ok to good score for peds. If you could improve your STEP 2 score by 15 to even 20 pts, you would be in a good position (but even if you don't, you'd be fine). Because of how things simply are in terms of AMG preference, a top-tier program is probably out of reach, but a mid-tier program, especially in a relatively undesirable location, is definitely within reach! Just make sure to apply to a lot of programs, on the order of 30+.

I don't know why someone would tell you that 213 is bad score. 213 on STEP 1 is an ok to good score for peds. If you could improve your STEP 2 score by 15 to even 20 pts, you would be in a good position (but even if you don't, you'd be fine). Because of how things simply are in terms of AMG preference, a top-tier program is probably out of reach, but a mid-tier program, especially in a relatively undesirable location, is definitely within reach! Just make sure to apply to a lot of programs, on the order of 30+.

Thank you so so much:)..You have resurrrected me virtually:)..Can't express my thanks in words..actually the forums everywhere had 240s and 250s..so felt like out of sorts for anything actually with 213:p..Thanks so so much..and yup am planning to apply widely 120-130 programmes at least:)