Poor Step 2CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zyx189

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently received my Step 2 CK score, it was the exact same score as my Step 1... aka in the low 230s. While above average for Step 1 it is considered lower than average for Step 2. I have heard that EM programs value the Step 2 score higher compared to Step 1 (not sure how true that is), so I am getting a little concerned about my application. Any advice on how broadly I should apply?

I have no other black marks on my application. I have been pretty average throughout the 1st 2 years of medical school and during my clinical rotations with a mix of satisfactory/high satisfactory/honors. Done three EM rotations thus far which went well, so 3 SLOEs. Doing one more rotation in Pediatric EM right now which would a standard LOR that I'll have to add to my application later.

So far I have applied to a little more than 70 programs in the northeast region...

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can show up for an interview, be quasi-normal, and don't do anything dumb you'll match.
Your Step 1 is fine, your Step 2 ain't AMAZING but is fine.
70 applications seems reasonable. Be sure you get ~8-15 interviews and you'll be fine.
You can look at past years, you can talk to tons of people, but at the end of the day if you aren't a complete dud at the interview you'll be fine.

Apply to as many programs as needed to make you comfortable.
I can't given you a number, because it really matters where you apply.

You could probably apply to 5 programs if they are all in areas where most people want to go.
But if you apply to 50 places, but they are all in the areas most people want to be that may not be enough.

Just make sure you at apply to some of those less desirable locations.
That is the best backup plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I recently received my Step 2 CK score, it was the exact same score as my Step 1... aka in the low 230s. While above average for Step 1 it is considered lower than average for Step 2. I have heard that EM programs value the Step 2 score higher compared to Step 1 (not sure how true that is), so I am getting a little concerned about my application. Any advice on how broadly I should apply?

I have no other black marks on my application. I have been pretty average throughout the 1st 2 years of medical school and during my clinical rotations with a mix of satisfactory/high satisfactory/honors. Done three EM rotations thus far which went well, so 3 SLOEs. Doing one more rotation in Pediatric EM right now which would a standard LOR that I'll have to add to my application later.

So far I have applied to a little more than 70 programs in the northeast region...

Thank you!

You WAY over-applied. You're basically average to maybe slightly below average, but your scores probably will not hurt you.

According to the 2016 charting outcomes that came out this past week, 94.4% matched with your Step 1 range and 90% matched with your step 2 range, which puts you at roughly 92% of matching. The Step 2 score is the 3rd most important aspect when selecting applicants for interviews, but it is generally less important than Step 1 per 2016 PD director survey.

However, if you interview at 13 programs, your chances of matching last year was 100%. Actually only 3/660 students with 13 or more interviews did not match.

Also, last year the average applicant applied to 39 programs and received 19 interviews. With your stats, if you applied "broadly", you'll receive at least 15-20 interviews, your SLOEs have negative comments.