Poppy seeds and pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avrelian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where I come from we have a cold sweet soup served in summers, main ingredient of which is mashed poppy seed paste. Its so good i can't get enough of it. the problem is, I've read somewhere that you can't pass a drug test even 24-48 hours after the meal, and I really dont want to give it up. Is this true at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes poppy seeds can make you fail a drug tests and take about 72 hours to clear the system. You dont have to give it up completely, just give it up for 3 days before and the day of your drug test.

Mythbusters did this experiment. Poppy seeds registered positive for opium on the drug test!

I really dont want to give it up.

It sounds like you may have an addiction to cold sweet soup served in summer. You may want to check yourself into a 10 step program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes poppy seeds can make you fail a drug tests and take about 72 hours to clear the system. You dont have to give it up completely, just give it up for 3 days before and the day of your drug test.
The problem with that is they may not always inform you 72h before a drug test. What if it is sporadic testing?

You can indicate that you eat a lot of poppy seeds also. Where are you that you're subject to so many drug tests?

What do they have that ends up like opium traces in the test? Not opium itself I hope? I know poppy seeds are banned in Saudi Arabia, but not sure if the head gets chopped off for eating them.

Mythbusters did this experiment. Poppy seeds registered positive for opium on the drug test!

Mythbusters did the experiment and it did register positive for opium on the drug test. But what they concluded in the experiment is that you have to eat an inordinate amount of seeds for it to register. I think they had to eat an entire lemon poppy seed cake, or like a dozen poppy seed bagels for anything to register on the drug test. So according to that experiment, unless you use an incredible amount of poppy seeds in this soup i dunno if it would cause you any problems

Maybe he really does opium and wants to blame the seeds.

an entire lemon poppy seed cake, or like a dozen poppy seed bagels for anything to register on the drug test.

I don't think there is an incredible amount of poppy seeds on 12 bagels. Soup takes 2-3 tablespoons, its probably significantly more than used in a dozen of donuts. So is there really opium in it? wow.

Poppy seeds contain morphine (the major component), codeine and numerous other alkaloids. Most to all of it is on the outside from when they were in the pod. Most poppy seed distributors wash the seeds before they put them in the bag/jar. The is not good enough to remove all the residue and you still can test positive for morphine. The mass spectrometry test will come back positive for morphine as well, since the seeds are coated with it. Levels are dependent on the time past and quantity consumed.

Individuals have been known to ingest large amounts of seeds in order to test positive for opioids so they can be admitted into methadone clinics (believe it or not).

ha ha it's like that episode of Seinfeld, just get someone to pee in a juice glass for you :laugh::laugh:

From poppy seeds, you can make morphine. From morphine, you can make heroin.

Believe it or not, morphine and heroin were legal many, many years ago in the US. Heroin was indicated as a cough suppressent and was initially used as an alternative to morphine (they didn't know it would be even more addicting then morphine).

I made some research, apparently a lot of people get high through Poppy seed tea, or just eating a lot of them. Their dosages are between 100 -200grams to 6 pounds (!) a day. The morphium and codeine content varies from 2 to 200 mg per kg of seeds for m and 1-70mg for codeine. One guy died after ingesting 3.5 lbs of apparently a bit too potent batch. Damn.

Individuals have been known to ingest large amounts of seeds in order to test positive for opioids so they can be admitted into methadone clinics (believe it or not).

I totally believe it. Individuals who are already on methadone will claim having eaten poppy seed bagels to explain their +ve test for opioids (and not get their methadone carries taken away for using).

Happens often enough that the dr at the methadone clinic where I work one day a wk tells all his pts not to eat poppy seeds, period.

another thing to consider is that quantity of morphine varies up to 100 fold in different seeds , from 2 to 250 mg per kg.