Position for new grads starting at 90k with loan repayment!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah I believe it b/c it's in Laredo Texas. I am from Houston, TX and Laredo is Near San Antonio, but laredo is some small town prob. in the middle of nowhere. If you don't care about activites,city life, boredom....then yeah. They are desprete, but hey, if you have loans to pay out, you can repay that loan in no time with that starting base salary!

haha everytime i look at it, i hear that country song "oh laredo" in my head... so i'd say it's a safe guess that it's a small town in the middle of nowhere. i wonder how far of a drive to san antonio or some bigger city, though?

if an opportunity like this arises after i graduate, i will definitely relocate. i also just noticed there's a sign on bonus as well. i'm wondering if offers like this will start happening as the move to the DPT is made (supply goes down, demand goes up?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Laredo is about 150 miles south of San Antonio. Brush up on your espanol.

Laredo is about 150 miles south of San Antonio. Brush up on your espanol.

Yeah, I figured that was a reason they had problems keeping PTs - I'm sure all the patients speak Spanish. However, speaking it isn't one of the requirements for the job... so....

This is off-topic but I remember hearing something about a program designed by the government that will require you to work at a place they want for 2 years and will pay all of your student loans. Anyone know anything about it?

The loan repayment program you are talking about is for teachers....(I am applying for PT school right now) but many of the professionals I have talked to said their employers help them with loan payments.

(Source: APTA Bulletin, Feb. 15, 2008)

House Approves Tuition Forgiveness

Physical therapists (PTs) who choose to work with children, adolescents, or veterans would be eligible to apply for student loan forgiveness under legislation recently approved by the US House. Meanwhile, a current federal program is accepting applications for loan forgiveness from qualifying PTs who agree to practice in Indian Health Service (IHS) settings.
Rep Joe Sestak (D-PA) on February 7 introduced an amendment to the College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2007 (HR 4137) that would authorize the US Secretary of Education to forgive a portion of qualifying student loan debt to PTs practicing in areas of national need. Members of the House and Senate will meet in conference to finalize the legislation.
In addition, the IHS Loan Repayment Program, which already exists under federal law, is accepting applications from qualifying PTs. Applicants who agree to serve for 2 years at an IHS facility or under an approved health program are eligible for more than $22,000 per year in tuition repayment.