Positive health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

int2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people ,

I am looking for schools with major concentration on health psychology and majorly on positive health .

Does any one have any ideas . What schools I can check , except for U of Penn .

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how out of date it is, but Div 38 of the APA used to put out a pdf of exactly this. Last time I checked (like 5 years ago) it was already a few years out of date, though. But that provides a pretty good place to start. IIRC, that PDF listed not just the department, but people in those departments, so you can track them down where they've moved to. For example, Michael Gradner was at Penn, and now I think he's at Arizona. Christina McCrae was at Florida, now I think she's department chair at Mizzou. But I'd start with that list.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are looking for clinical training in health psychology, you can take a look at the Council of Clinical Health Psychology Training Programs web site: http://www.cchptp.org/.

Note, though, that this is not a comprehensive list of every program that offers training in health psychology - just off the top of my head I can think of several solid programs that are not CCHPTP members.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how out of date it is, but Div 38 of the APA used to put out a pdf of exactly this. Last time I checked (like 5 years ago) it was already a few years out of date, though. But that provides a pretty good place to start. IIRC, that PDF listed not just the department, but people in those departments, so you can track them down where they've moved to. For example, Michael Gradner was at Penn, and now I think he's at Arizona. Christina McCrae was at Florida, now I think she's department chair at Mizzou. But I'd start with that list.
Thank you I should check this .

T
If you are looking for clinical training in health psychology, you can take a look at the Council of Clinical Health Psychology Training Programs web site: http://www.cchptp.org/.

Note, though, that this is not a comprehensive list of every program that offers training in health psychology - just off the top of my head I can think of several solid programs that are not CCHPTP members.

Thank you I will check it .

Thank you for posting this question! I am very much interested in finding Clinical Psychology programs and mentors that can combine my interests in Health Psychology and Positive Psychology. I had read Martin Seligman's proposal for a new subfield of psychology that he termed "Positive Health," and after reading it, I was very excited about the idea and wanted to find programs that offered training in this area. Unfortunately, it's been highly difficult finding any graduate programs that offer this type of training.

This past December, I applied for UPenn's clinical psychology program and mentioned my interest in Seligman's "Positive Health" idea in my Personal Statement, but I had a difficult time finding any professors at UPenn's program that actually focused on this research area. It seems UPenn's Positive Psychology Center may provide opportunities for post-doctoral fellowships, but that's all I was able to find.

Since reading this particular forum post, though, I went back to the drawing board and focused on specific psychology professors at Clinical Health Psychology programs whose interests included some form of Positive Psychology (mindfulness, resiliency, spirituality, strength-based approach). I will say that it took A LOT of digging to find Clinical Health mentors who were interested in Positive Health related subjects, but I've found a handful of promising leads :)

If you need some more help with your search, please feel free to PM me! Positive Health is a relatively small field right now, but I hope to collaborate with like-minded people to build upon this exciting concept!

I had read Martin Seligman's proposal for a new subfield of psychology that he termed "Positive Health," and after reading it, I was very excited about the idea and wanted to find programs that offered training in this area.

My advice is to get the best training you can in health psychology and weave a positive psychology focus into your research. The field still needs data from well designed studies. You will go farther working with advisor who is supportive but who can also also critique and scrutinize theories. Don't train under a "true believer."

Reactions: 3 users
My advice is to get the best training you can in health psychology and weave a positive psychology focus into your research. The field still needs data from well designed studies. You will go farther working with advisor who is supportive but who can also also critique and scrutinize theories. Don't train under a "true believer."

The priority in my graduate school search has always been finding solid, well-rounded training in Health Psychology & Neuropsychology concentrations in my area of interest (i.e. the intersection between mental health and physical health) :) My current short-list of Clinical Psychology programs I'm considering for application seem to produce well-qualified psychologists from all the student data statistics I've looked through. As for the mentors at these programs, I've made sure to read through their research publications, especially first-author papers, and looked them up through sources like ResearchGate and Rate My Professor to get a rough idea of their quality of mentorship.

The Positive Psychology interest is the cherry on top of everything. In my original post, I was just saying that Clinical Health researchers whose list of interests include some type of Positive Psychology related aspect are out there. However, well-designed and sound research comes first, and I've been wary of the fanatic "true believers" whose bias may comprise valid research results.