Positive PPD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd-line

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please!!!! help!!!
What does positive PPD means? Yes, I know it means that the tuberculin skin test was positive, that I had contact with the virus and all.
But does that mean I will not be able to attend school this fall!?? That's what my physician said.... because of this being positive, I may not be able to attend school.
Help guys. Please. I am crying. I have worked so hard to be where I am today.... :( :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

dmd-line said:
Please!!!! help!!!
What does positive PPD means? Yes, I know it means that the tuberculin skin test was positive, that I had contact with the virus and all.
But does that mean I will not be able to attend school this fall!?? That's what my physician said.... because of this being positive, I may not be able to attend school.
Help guys. Please. I am crying. I have worked so hard to be where I am today.... :( :confused:

It depends on the requirements at the school. I know at Tufts they say if you are tested positive, you have to submit documentation of treatment and get a chest xray or something. Give your school a call and ask them.

I think you have to get the chest xray done to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys!
Thank you. I will have it done. So expensive though.... I mean way too expensive.... we are talking hundreds of $.

TB is a mycobacterium, not a virus.

A positive PPD means that you have:
1. Been exposed to the mycobacterium
- or -
2. Received the BCG vaccine.
It does not mean active infection.

From here, you need to get a chest x-ray to rule out active pulmonary TB.

Once that is ruled out, you will need to undergo treatment for latent TB infections. Last time I checked, this was 9 months of INH monotherapy. You are allowed to see patients and should have NO restrictions pending a clear CXR.

Just no booze.

hi, I had a positive mantoux skin test as well, and actually it was because I received BCG vaccination as a child. I got a few chest x-rays taken and underwent a 6 month course of drug therapy. These costs will be offset by the fact that you can't drink alcohol while on meds (no clubbing :) )

edit: beat by dr.tequila :) but yeah I got through school now so no worries!

t_f is right about this meaning #1 or #2.

were you born outside the US in a country where you could have received the BCG vaccine? (check to see if you have a marking on your arm that would probably mean you had it).

tequila_farm said:
TB is a mycobacterium, not a virus.

A positive PPD means that you have:
1. Been exposed to the mycobacterium
- or -
2. Received the BCG vaccine.
It does not mean active infection.

From here, you need to get a chest x-ray to rule out active pulmonary TB.

Once that is ruled out, you will need to undergo treatment for latent TB infections. Last time I checked, this was 9 months of INH monotherapy. You are allowed to see patients and should have NO restrictions pending a clear CXR.

Just no booze.

you are correct. whoever told you (dmd-line) that you cannot attend school is wrong-get another doctor. the only way that would be correct is if you had active cavitary tb and you were coughing tb baccillus on people. this is highly unlikely and they could probably sterilize your sputum by the time school starts. just get the cxr and get treated if necessary.

I love this forum!!!
Thanks a lot for your replies guys.
To answer the questions...
Yes, I did receive the BCG vaccine since I am not from here (the US). The thing is it's the same scenario for the doc too ( well, I know he was born outside the US and am pretty sure he did receive the BCG vaccine too).... but he is like bragging that he went to many sanatorium and never tested PPD positive.... that it should be the same for me. Hello doc??!!, they gave me the vaccine. I have the antibodies!!!
Anyway! I'll find out a way to get that x-ray. Just need to find those couples of $$. Should have a fundraising or something. lol.
Thanks again guys.

i had mine done when I started research at a university hospital. maybe if you apply for a job like that they'll cover it. maybe even if you volunteered at a hospital setting they could cover it. good luck.

dmd-line said:
I love this forum!!!
Yes, I did receive the BCG vaccine since I am not from here (the US). The thing is it's the same scenario for the doc too ( well, I know he was born outside the US and am pretty sure he did receive the BCG vaccine too).... but he is like bragging that he went to many sanatorium and never tested PPD positive.... that it should be the same for me. Hello doc??!!, they gave me the vaccine. I have the antibodies!!!
Anyway! I'll find out a way to get that x-ray. Just need to find those couples of $$. Should have a fundraising or something. lol.
Thanks again guys.

even though you had bcg, you still might need inh-just see a good internist-don't worry.

dmd-line said:
I love this forum!!!
Thanks again guys.

Try to get x-ray order from a physician, then go to Student Health place in the University or Public Health Center. Good luck!

mlle said:
t_f is right about this meaning #1 or #2.

were you born outside the US in a country where you could have received the BCG vaccine? (check to see if you have a marking on your arm that would probably mean you had it).

That mark is for small pox vaccine, which was still used in the 80's in countries like South Africa, where I was born. I had both of these vaccines. You may have still gotten the BCG and not have a mark. You have to be careful though the more skin tests you recieve the worse your reaction will get to the point where it can cause skin damage. I have had too many skin tests due to volunteer positions and now, unfortunately, for the rest of my life I have to go straight to the chest X-ray. You might need to do the same.