Possibility of being in military medicine while not meeting military medical reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Area Loser

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm an aspiring med student, and I ideally want to do military medicine, I have a preexisting interest in the military but three slight issues that may be dealbreakers. First off, Factor VII Deficiency, which has never given me an issue but isn't exactly the kind of thing you go into the service with. And secondly, a very mild alleged (diagnosed by a bored psych grad student not an MD) case of Aspergers that I'd argue I don't actually have. I also have a minor problem with migraines that is controlled by medication. So, do you think I have any chance of getting in? Possibility of waivers? Should I pack up and go home? I'm a good applicant otherwise for what it's worth.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, I'm an aspiring med student, and I ideally want to do military medicine, I have a preexisting interest in the military but three slight issues that may be dealbreakers. First off, Factor VII Deficiency, which has never given me an issue but isn't exactly the kind of thing you go into the service with. And secondly, a very mild alleged (diagnosed by a bored psych grad student not an MD) case of Aspergers that I'd argue I don't actually have. I also have a minor problem with migraines that is controlled by medication. So, do you think I have any chance of getting in? Possibility of waivers? Should I pack up and go home? I'm a good applicant otherwise for what it's worth.

All 3 are permanently disqualifying for military service without a chance of a waiver. Please feel free to check with a recruiter.

You have to meet the physical requirements. In the military you aren't just a practitioner you're also a soldier and so you have to meet the health requirements.

Plenty of other ways to be around the military though and serve your country. Civilian positions in healthcare for the military and also the VA.

All 3 are permanently disqualifying for military service without a chance of a waiver. Please feel free to check with a recruiter.

You have to meet the physical requirements. In the military you aren't just a practitioner you're also a soldier and so you have to meet the health requirements.

Plenty of other ways to be around the military though and serve your country. Civilian positions in healthcare for the military and also the VA.
Sigh, guess I'll settle for President.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh, guess I'll settle for President.

Well hey the current guy made it so that pretty much lowers the bar for the job right?

Seriously though good luck with your future plans! Plenty of good you can do in the world even if you aren't wearing the uniform. Don't let it get you down!

Sorry to pile on, but do you happen to know if the other two uniformed services (USPHSCC/NOAA CC) use the same medical standards as DOD? I've looked at their pages but they just make vague references to "individual assessments" I can't find a list anywhere.

Sorry to pile on, but do you happen to know if the other two uniformed services (USPHSCC/NOAA CC) use the same medical standards as DOD? I've looked at their pages but they just make vague references to "individual assessments" I can't find a list anywhere.

All military branches pretty much use the same standards with Army being the most lenient. Not sure about civilian DOD contracts.