Possible Re-Applicant What are my Chances and Help With School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JongPatrol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just finished my first application cycle and am currently wait listed at one school. I'm going to re-apply and submit my primary application June 3rd if I am not accepted off the wait list by then. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my school list, as well as any general advice for being a re-applicant.

cGPA: 3.76 sGPA: 3.72 MCAT: 34 (12 phys/ 12 verbal/ 10 bio)

Graduated College in 2012

Institutional Action: 2 drinking violations from when I was a freshman

Research: 600 hours undergraduate research where I applied for a small grant to fund my own research on mitochondrial DNA recovery. Additionally I worked full time from July 2012-May 2014 as a professional research assistant in an Immunology laboratory. I have 2 poster presentations listed on my application from this time.

Volunteering non clinical: 100 hours of volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters as a mentor over the past year. 8 hours of volunteering (1/2 hour twice a month) as a reading buddy for a chronically ill child during the 2013-2014 school year.

Volunteering clinical: 200 hours of volunteering over the past year in the emergency department at a VA hospital.

Shadowing: 100 hours shadowing a pulmonologist, 40 hours shadowing an oncologist over the past year

Paid Clinical Work: As an undergraduate I spent two summers working on a diabetes research project in the inner city of Milwaukee ~600 hours

Extracurricular Activities: Was an officer in my schools alpine club where i essentially acted as a mountain guide, planning outdoors trips and leading students

Hobbies: Avid skier, climber, mountaineer, and all around outdoors

Race: White Gender: Male

State Residency: Colorado and Wisconsin (I live in Colorado but under Wisconsin law you are considered a resident for tuition purposes if you graduated from a WI high school and both parents live in WI, which is the case for me.

Plans for the upcoming year: No clue but most likely either working in clinical research or working as a medical scribe. Also taking a biochem course to fulfill pre-requisites

School List:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Chicago Medical School at Rosilind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
George Washington University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Mayo Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
New York University School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science Universtiy
Pennsylvenia State University College of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Temple Unversity School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

How did you not get in? When did you apply? Was this the same school list as last cycle?

Have you updated the school you are waitlisted for about your shadowing and clinical and non-clinical volunteering over the past year?