(Possible) Reapplicant, 3.65/32, CA, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bear2roo

Dr. Kenzō Tenma
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I might be a reapplicant for the upcoming cycle and wanted some feedback. The reason why this cycle blew was because I had to retake my MCAT on 9/11 (didn't plan on that...) to get a good VR score. Hence, I was complete mid/late October--as a result I had 2 interviews (1 at a very reach school!). Got waitlisted at reach school, and still pending the other school. This cycle, should I not get off the WL at either school, I will turn in my AMCAS like on Day 1, or at least within the first 3 days.

So quick rundown:

3.64 cgpa, 3.65sgpa, 32 (11PS/12BS/9VR) MCAT (this was my 3rd try--27 & 30 previously), ORM, CA Resident
Subtle Upward trend in GPA....3.94 gpa senior year. Started at 3.41 gpa freshman year.

ECs: Above-avg sorta (maybe not SDN standards)

-120 hours Clinical Experience as hospital volunteer (50 hrs) & part-time caretaker for elderly (70 hrs, family member who passed away)
-450+ hours Nonmedical Community Service in general volunteering
-50 hours tutor at elementary school in poor neighborhood
-*1500+ hours Basic Science Research, 2.5 years, 1 abstract, numerous undergrad grants & awards
-80 hour shadowing (1 primary care, 2 surgeons)
-200 hours Clinical Research Peds (1 semester + summer) 3 posters
-*Private tutor, 2 years, ~150 hours (paid)
-Informal TA for Physiology (it's a mix between TA & tutor. I don't grade)
-Leadership at nonprofit organization & volunteered for 200 hours
-*Competitive national-ranked athlete (non-NCAA at my school) for a sport (not saying which) since 2004; continued throughout college, and won a few national medals & 2 championships (god knows how many hours...I put 999 x 4).
-Executive Board Leadership position of Intercollegiate Sports Club for 2 years
-Interned at a Real Estate company (paid) for 120 hours
-Gap year: Clinical research in ortho--roughly 600ish hours? I have 1 publication under review at a journal as 2nd author and I will have my name on another publication sometime by Fall hopefully. (I sort of want to make this a meaningful exp but I already have the other one for research)

* = most meaningful

LORS: Biology Prof (good), Physics (Really good), Social Sciences ("stellar/outstanding"), Research PI (good/above avg), Research PI from Gap Year (very good), and Nonprofit founder (Very good)

PS: Probably above average/good. Not going to change it much just add a bit more info but honestly not a lot changes my motivation to enter med school in a gap year.

Schools: too many reaches? not enough schools?
UCLA
UCI
UCD
UCSD
USC Keck
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Loyola
Rush
RFU
VCU
GWU
Georgetown
BU
Tufts
SLU
Einstein
Mount Sinai
FIU
Vermont
Ohio State
UMiami

Any tips for a reapplicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well there's no point in re applying with the same app, so what is exactly changing? Is the ortho research done in a previous gap year or an upcoming planned one? Your patient exposure is pretty minimal in comparison to the hours you have elsewhere. Overall though it seems like a very strong app, especially as an athlete, so there might be a problem else where. Content wise your PS might be OK, but you should still re work the entire thing to change the context or how you present it. There's no such thing as a perfect PS so you can always improve.

goro's list
Do NOT reapply tot he same schools unless you've show significant progress since the last cycle.

Goro suggests
NYMC
Albany
USC Keck
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple
Loyola
Rush
RFU
VCU
EVMS
BU
Tufts
SLU
Einstein
FIU
Creighton
Loma Linda (maybe, if you don't drink or smoke, or bang your sweetie, etc).
Tulane
MCW
UMiami
All other new MD schools
Any DO program *Western and TUCOM are in your backyard).

Any tips for a reapplicant?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The ortho research is has been/continuing till august. It's a good mix of research, basic programming, shadowing, and some minimal patient interaction. And writing of course.

Goro if what u say is true then that rules me out of almost every single mid/low tier md school. If I didn't turn in a secondary last cycle is that still a "has applied" school?

I also really want to apply for this scribe position at a private practice if I take another gap yr but until I know whether I am going to get accepted or not this cycle, I can't apply(they ask 1yr commitment).

Goro if what u say is true then that rules me out of almost every single mid/low tier md school. If I didn't turn in a secondary last cycle is that still a "has applied" school?
Could you place an asterisk beside the schools on your list where you have previously submitted a primary, and two asterisks for two submissions?

Could you place an asterisk beside the schools on your list where you have previously submitted a primary, and two asterisks for two submissions?
Thanks for your input & comments so far, everyone. I know my position isn't unique but some insight is def well appreciated!

Bold = did not apply last cycle
* = submitted primary last cycle
** = primary + secondary last cycle

UCLA*
UCI**
UCD
UCSD**
USC Keck**
Drexel**
Jefferson**
Penn State**
Temple**
Loyola**
Rush
RFU**
VCU
GWU**
Georgetown**
BU**
Tufts**
SLU**
Einstein**
Mount Sinai*
FIU
Vermont**
Ohio State
UMiami

Adding in potentially:
NYMC**
EVMS**
Creighton**
Tulane*
Albany*
MCW**
Oakland
MSU (OOS Friendly?)
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
SUNY Buffalo
UCR (don't really fit their mission too much)
UCLA/Drew

Hofstra**

Thanks for your input & comments so far, everyone. I know my position isn't unique but some insight is def well appreciated!

Bold = did not apply last cycle
* = submitted primary last cycle
** = primary + secondary last cycle

UCLA*
UCI**
UCD
UCSD**
USC Keck**
Drexel**
Jefferson**
Penn State**
Temple**
Loyola**
Rush
RFU**
VCU
GWU**
Georgetown**
BU**
Tufts**
SLU**
Einstein**
Mount Sinai*
FIU
Vermont**
Ohio State
UMiami

Adding in potentially:
NYMC**
EVMS**
Creighton**
Tulane*
Albany*
MCW**
Oakland
MSU (OOS Friendly?)
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
SUNY Buffalo
UCR (don't really fit their mission too much)
UCLA/Drew

Hofstra**
I am going to suggest that you delete: UCLA, UCSD, USC, Miami, Tufts, BU, Tulane, Sinai (stats); and Drew, UCR (mission); GW and GT (enormous pool). The rest of your bold choices are fair to good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to suggest that you delete: UCLA, UCSD, USC, Miami, Tufts, BU, Tulane, Sinai (stats); and Drew, UCR (mission); GW and GT (enormous pool). The rest of your bold choices are fair to good!

If one or both of my interviews this cycle is on the list you suggested to delete, should I reapply to those schools? Or does that make no difference?

If one or both of my interviews this cycle is on the list you suggested to delete, should I reapply to those schools? Or does that make no difference?
That will depend on the reason for your non-acceptance. If you didn't get in because they didn't get to the waitlist, it might be worth it. But if they didn't think you were a good fit for the school, they are not likely to think that your fit has improved from one cycle to the next.

If you want to leave Miller on I would be ok with that. I took them off because all the successful CA applicants I know had such high MCAT scores. Upon looking it up, you are actually in range.

Last edited by a moderator: