Possible to get into MD with a 7 on verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did spend a few years teaching in TFA and worked on an oil rig, and interned at NASA (remote work) and published first author - but I'm pretty sure it's pretty normal.

Yeah... this is a pretty basic requirement of pretty pre-meds.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting! Was her composite MCAT higher than the school median? Did she have an opinion on why Verbal was so much lower for her? Was there anything else beside the GPA that was very strong compared to the norm (publications, a thousand hours volunteerism, a demonstrated interest in under served etc)?

Yes, no, no.

Reactions: 1 user
Good question...
Not URM
I am ESL - (English as second language?) - but I didn't mention that.
I didn't apply as disadvantage or anything (though I didn't realize being poor qualified - the whole 6 people in 2 bed rooms and never see my parents apparently qualified that)

I'm not sure what was so spectacular to be honest. I scored pretty high in bio and perfect score in physical science. I'm an ChemE (does that explain my verbal? Lol).

I had a pretty high GPA - only applied 6 schools, interviews at 2. Accepted to my instate school and cancelled my other interview.

I did spend a few years teaching in TFA and worked on an oil rig, and interned at NASA (remote work) and published first author - but I'm pretty sure it's pretty normal.
That stuff is far from normal!

Members don't see this ad :)
lol - I did take a few gap years (not just one). TFA was just always a dream of mine "I wanna be a teacher" thing from 5th grade.
My PI forced me to publish but totally not related to medicine - it was part of my job working for R&D in oil.
NASA intern was during my undergrad sophmore year - nothing really came out of it. I literally worked from my university - no fancy "meet NASA" or what ever.

I'd say the biggest determinant (and I'm told this by the dean) was my interview. Apparently I was socially awkward and they liked it - probably because one of my two interviewers was also socially awkward.
Not going to lie my original post said so much humble brag

lol - I did take a few gap years (not just one). TFA was just always a dream of mine "I wanna be a teacher" thing from 5th grade.
My PI forced me to publish but totally not related to medicine - it was part of my job working for R&D in oil.
NASA intern was during my undergrad sophmore year - nothing really came out of it. I literally worked from my university - no fancy "meet NASA" or what ever.

I'd say the biggest determinant (and I'm told this by the dean) was my interview. Apparently I was socially awkward and they liked it - probably because one of my two interviewers was also socially awkward.
Still, those are pretty cool ECs!

Wait what is it a good thing now to be awkward? I thought being charismatic was the benefit

Wait what is it a good thing now to be awkward? I thought being charismatic was the benefit

Bashful awkwardness can come off as endearing/non-threatening; something that will better suit patients.

It really depends on what kind of social awkwardness we're talking about here. There are definitely some people who are awkward in a way that will make their patients uneasy.

It really depends on what kind of social awkwardness we're talking about here. There are definitely some people who are awkward in a way that will make their patients uneasy.

Very true. Some people with social inadequacies can't differentiate what's inappropriate from what's acceptable behavior.

Having quirky mannerisms = funny.
Poorly timed sex joke = harassment.