All Branch Topic (ABT) Possible to join military as GMO after civilian PGY1 intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacMiller84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments on this topic would be appreciated.

I failed to match into an advanced position this cycle in Anesthesia. I did secure a year in preliminary medicine though.

Would I be able to apply for a GMO or GP position in military medicine after my intern year? Obviously, I would be open to finding an anesthesiology spot in the military match after one (or more) years as a GMO in military.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Any comments on this topic would be appreciated.

I failed to match into an advanced position this cycle in Anesthesia. I did secure a year in preliminary medicine though.

Would I be able to apply for a GMO or GP position in military medicine after my intern year? Obviously, I would be open to finding an anesthesiology spot in the military match after one (or more) years as a GMO in military.

Thoughts?
This question has come up before. The military has more than enough GMOs from HPSP and USUHS to fill the spots, and typically civilians aren't in consideration for those GMO slots, especially those that aren't board certified.

Secondly, why on earth would you ever want to join the military? People who join get some kind of financial benefit in the form of tuition of med school paid off in return for time in the military. You wouldn't gain anything, except the right to shuffle paperwork and set up tents in the desert. If you are interested in joining, you will be eligible when you are a board certified physician, not before.

You will have a harder time in the military matching, especially with a competitive specialty like anesthesia.

In short, military medicine is not a viable option for you at this time. Good luck otherwise.

This question has come up before. The military has more than enough GMOs from HPSP and USUHS to fill the spots, and typically civilians aren't in consideration for those GMO slots, especially those that aren't board certified.

Secondly, why on earth would you ever want to join the military? People who join get some kind of financial benefit in the form of tuition of med school paid off in return for time in the military. You wouldn't gain anything, except the right to shuffle paperwork and set up tents in the desert. If you are interested in joining, you will be eligible when you are a board certified physician, not before.

You will have a harder time in the military matching, especially with a competitive specialty like anesthesia.

In short, military medicine is not a viable option for you at this time. Good luck otherwise.
Thank you for your quick response!

Members don't see this ad :)

This is not entirely accurate. One can join the military as long as they have an internship year and an unrestricted medical license. Most who join this way do to try to enter a PGY-2 spot (outside of the match), typically in primary care. We had someone join my IM class this way. Now the military can be fairly picky who they let join. Recruiters preferably look for residency trained and board eligible or board certified persons and many times it tied to a loan repayment program. However, if there is a need due to shortage of GMO you may be in luck. Now if you do join, you have to spend two years as a GMO prior to applying for anesthesia residency. No keep in mind due to the lower number of slots available in the military among the different branches relative to what is on the outside, it likely will be more competitive.

Talk to a healthcare recruiter near you. They may take you as long as they have a need somewhere for a GMO and there are no red flags on your record. However, it may not be the path you are looking for to an anesthesia residency. Being a GMO in the military is downright dreadful. You get nothing out of it up front (loan repayment) and your chances of getting an anesthesia residency is probably less than on the outside. You may be better off just trying again on the civilian side. Do a year of research. Reapply.

This is not entirely accurate. One can join the military as long as they have an internship year and an unrestricted medical license. Most who join this way do to try to enter a PGY-2 spot (outside of the match), typically in primary care. We had someone join my IM class this way. Now the military can be fairly picky who they let join. Recruiters preferably look for residency trained and board eligible or board certified persons and many times it tied to a loan repayment program. However, if there is a need due to shortage of GMO you may be in luck. Now if you do join, you have to spend two years as a GMO prior to applying for anesthesia residency. No keep in mind due to the lower number of slots available in the military among the different branches relative to what is on the outside, it likely will be more competitive.

Talk to a healthcare recruiter near you. They may take you as long as they have a need somewhere for a GMO and there are no red flags on your record. However, it may not be the path you are looking for to an anesthesia residency. Being a GMO in the military is downright dreadful. You get nothing out of it up front (loan repayment) and your chances of getting an anesthesia residency is probably less than on the outside. You may be better off just trying again on the civilian side. Do a year of research. Reapply.
Thank you!