possible to practice in US with a foreign med. degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am wondering if it's possible to practice medicine in US with a foregin medical degree (obtained from Canada, Indian, English, and other countries...)?

If so, what kinda of process does the person have go through?

Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Your title does not match what you wrote. You should fix one.

I dont' have any personal experience with this, but I'm sure it can be done. You surely have to take regulatory exams that measure competence, etc.

Smooth Operater said:
Hello! I am wondering if it's possible to practice medicine in US with a foregin medical degree (obtained from Canada, Indian, English, and other countries...)?

If so, what kinda of process does the person have go through?

Thanx!

Members don't see this ad :)
the school at which the md was obtained has to be approved and you have to pass the usmle exams.

oh okay, thanx! so out of states grads do not necessary need to do a residency in US in order to practice there?

if you havent done your residency yet, try to score really high on the step 1 exam of the usmle. then try to get a residency in the u.s.

im not sure if you have to do your residency in the u.s. or not. i suppose that you wouldnt have to but it would make it a lot easier to get a job.

oh okay, thanx! would it be harder for someone with Canadian citizenship only?

Smooth Operater said:
oh okay, thanx! so out of states grads do not necessary need to do a residency in US in order to practice there?

If you are an IMG (internation medical graduate) and if you want to practice in the US you MUST do a residency program. No matter how distinguished you may be in Canada, italy, india, etc.

The USMLE, Clinical Skills Exam, and a U.S. residency are required but a large percentage of US physicians got their medical degree in foreign countries.