Air Force Possible to serve during medical school without HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indebtmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to be on reserve during medical school without qualifying for HPSP. I have spoken to a recruiter, but because I have a 7 in PS I do not qualify for HPSP. I am still however interested in being an officer with the Air Force during my time in medical school. Does such a program exist?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to be on reserve during medical school without qualifying for HPSP. I have spoken to a recruiter, but because I have a 7 in PS I do not qualify for HPSP. I am still however interested in being an officer with the Air Force during my time in medical school. Does such a program exist?
Possible, but not a good idea. If youre part of a drilling reserve unit, youd be expected to drill at least one weekend/month, and 2 weeks a year. That doesnt sound like much, but it is, especially for a medical student. You can join the mil later, as a resident or as an attending (theres plenty of entry points into the medical corps, aside from hpsp).

What do u mean by 7 in PS? You talking about your mcat score? If so, whats the rest of it look like?? At this point, Id be more concerned about getting into medical school period, nevermind hpsp.

Yes sadly, my MCAT was a mere 7ps/10vr/8bs. I'm not a particularly strong candidate for MD programs, but I've recently submitted my apps broadly for DO school so I'm hoping I'll be able to find some love somewhere.

Ah I didn't realize that the reserve drilling would be different for non-hpsp students. I assume you wouldn't be drilling at a base nearest to your institution either, but rather they'd send you off somewhere for the time that you'd need to drill?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes sadly, my MCAT was a mere 7ps/10vr/8bs. I'm not a particularly strong candidate for MD programs, but I've recently submitted my apps broadly for DO school so I'm hoping I'll be able to find some love somewhere.

Ah I didn't realize that the reserve drilling would be different for non-hpsp students. I assume you wouldn't be drilling at a base nearest to your institution either, but rather they'd send you off somewhere for the time that you'd need to drill?
I know the Army NG has some program for med students, that might be feasible (see another thread here).

I would refrain from joining a non-medical reserve unit, or one that doesnt understand the time demands of a medical student.

Thanks a lot for your help and input. I'll definitely look into the Army NG. It's a lot easier to get realistic feedback here on the forums than to call recruiters in my opinion. I feel they often don't paint very realistic pictures and just want you to sign on.