Possible to show too much interest at interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapepopsicle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to show interest to your #1 school during the interview? If my stats are well above their average matriculant (and I have some significant connections to the school), will it sound disingenuous if I flat-out tell them that I'll withdraw my other apps if this school accepts me? Can this approach work against me?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school admission committees are like women, the more attention you give them the less attention you recieve. You have to make yourself appear in "demand" and withdrawing your applications from the other schools make you look "desperate" to get into this one school.

If your stats are correct then you should be fine. You don't have to do anything drastic.

In Dr. Iserson's book, he talks about an obsessive attitude towards medical schools. It is not healthy and can get you rejected very quickly. It is usually identified during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Dr. Iserson's book, he talks about an obsessive attitude towards medical schools. It is not healthy and can get you rejected very quickly. It is usually identified during interviews.

What do you mean by obsessive attitude?

I think there's plenty of other ways to say that without flat out saying it. Show how much you want to go there without being so blunt, because downright saying that may make you look desperate.

I think there's plenty of other ways to say that without flat out saying it. Show how much you want to go there without being so blunt, because downright saying that may make you look desperate.
Kind of what you said Ashley1989. You say it through your experiences in conjunction with the school's mission. Be excited, but not like those caffeine-powered fourteen-year-olds.

I'm gonna totally play hard to get.

...And get rejected at every single school.

As long as you don't go overboard, there's nothing wrong with expressing a strong interest in a specific school. During one of my interviews I flat out stated that I wanted to go to the school. I was a competitive applicant with options elsewhere, so I wanted to make it known that the interviewer would not be wasting their time by speaking positively on my behalf. I mentioned family ties and a few aspects of the program I found especially appealing. You have to remember, most people conducting interviews take great pride in the school they're representing, and your interest in their school can serve as a form of validation.

I would just express interest in the school and talk about how much you'd love to go there and could see yourself fitting it. Don't go too overboard.

Don't sound overly enthusiastic. If an applicant I interview can give clear examples of why the want to attend the school, it goes a long way in showing his interest. Be interested but do not seem desperate.

Kind of what you said Ashley1989. You say it through your experiences in conjunction with the school's mission. Be excited, but not like those caffeine-powered fourteen-year-olds.

This is pretty much it. "Interest" alone isn't going to get you far. It'll help, but if you don't demonstrate that you're a strong fit for a school or otherwise demonstate that it wouldn't do wrong by accepting you no amount of interest will get you in.

(sent from my phone)