possible to switch from ACGME to AOA residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych72

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very glad to have matched at an ACGME psychiatry position and am glad to be starting this summer. I received word from one of my friends that there may be a psychiatry residency opening up near where my parent's live. I was wondering, if it would be possible to transfer to this program (assuming I'm in good standing at my current program and have my PD's approval)? It would help me out tremendously with costs since I would live with them and I would be able to stay closer to my elderly parents.

Members don't see this ad.

It will likely be program specific. I'd discuss it with the prospective residency and if they say it would be ok, I'd then discuss it with your current program

It will likely be program specific. I'd discuss it with the prospective residency and if they say it would be ok, I'd then discuss it with your current program

Thanks, yeah, that's what I was planning on doing. This whole acgme/aoa thing is so messy at times as to what transfers and what doesnt.