Possible Undergrad degrees????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Matt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Im from Saskatchewan Canada and I'm just wondering...........what are my options for undergrad degree requirements to take before vet school (ex. 3 - 4 yr bachelor of arts and science, bachelor of animal science, etc)?????????

Members don't see this ad.

If you're asking about the specific requirements, check the website for school you're applying to. As for the degree to take, you can really take whatever degree you want, so long as you fit in the specific prerequisite classes. Popular degrees usually are animal science, zoology, biology etc., since the prerequisites tend to fall in line with the degree requirements, but it's completely possible major in something completely unrelated and still complete your requirements.

One thing to look at, for many universities the requirements for a biology degree line up nicely with most requirements for vet most vet schools. Generally, gen chem, organic chem, an upper level math, microbiology, ect are required for biology majors. This can be nice if you want to graduate soon, or like me, want to take a variety of courses in your interests. I've been able to meet my pre-reqs while still taking wildlife, animal nutrition, literature, culture, animal reproduction and physiology, and research courses on the side. If I had majored in wildlife science or even veterinary science, I would have been required to take many courses I just wasn't as interested in at the expense of courses I really wanted to take.

If your really worried about it, look up all of the majors you think you might enjoy and look specifically at courses and course descriptions. I basically made a list of classes I wanted/had to take for prerequisites vs those I didn't and found that biology fit the best with fewer classes I didn't want. I found for wildlife science there were a lot of plant and soil classes I had no interest in and would take longer because I still need my chemistry courses. In animal science, I decided I wanted the more challenging courses so I would take upper division animal physiology as a biology major rather than the basic ones required for animal science.