possibly dumb question on residency applications...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightthelamp4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I am a third year DO student, I have taken both usmle and comlex step 1. I am confused about whether I need to take both usmle and comlex step 2. I know that some programs state plainly on their websites if they require usmle 2. However, for allopathic institutions where this is not stated plainly and for dually accredited programs I am not sure ? Also not sure what to make Upenn since it is a allopathic school but has an AOA residency

I anticipate being told to call/email programsn directly; I have been waiting to hear back from several programs for about a week now, and need to sign up for step 2 soon because of a difficult rotation schedule at the end of my third year

I dont mind taking usmle step 2 if needed, but the combined costs for both step 2 exams is something around 3700 so if it is not needed I obviously would not do it

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys
I am a third year DO student, I have taken both usmle and comlex step 1. I am confused about whether I need to take both usmle and comlex step 2. I know that some programs state plainly on their websites if they require usmle 2. However, for allopathic institutions where this is not stated plainly and for dually accredited programs I am not sure ? Also not sure what to make Upenn since it is a allopathic school but has an AOA residency

I anticipate being told to call/email programsn directly; I have been waiting to hear back from several programs for about a week now, and need to sign up for step 2 soon because of a difficult rotation schedule at the end of my third year

I dont mind taking usmle step 2 if needed, but the combined costs for both step 2 exams is something around 3700 so if it is not needed I obviously would not do it

thanks

You NEED to take the comlex level 2 PE and CK exams.

You have the option to take USMLE step 2. Usually on residency programs' websites when they say "you must take usmle 2" they are talking to USMDs and FMGs, and are implying DOs must take the comlex level 2. However, some programs require DOs to take both usmle 1 and 2, but they are the minority of programs and they will usually say it very clearly on their website. If you think you can do well on usmle step 2 you should take it.

Never take the usmle CS exam.

Upenn doesn't have an AOA program. Pennsylvania hospital, which is a community hospital associated with UPENN, has an AOA residency. I think if you're a Penn hospital resident you'll do a handful of rotations at Upenn's (HUP) hospital.

Upenn's real program has taken DOs for IM, peds, and anesthesia recently, but it's not typical.

Thanks for the response. I know that I have to take comlex 2, and figured that usmle 1 + comlex 1 and 2 would be sufficient to apply to most accredited schools but wanted to clarify that "dual accrediated" didn't automatically mean that you needed to take both step 1 and 2 of comlex and usmle

thank you very much for pointing out that the pennsylvania hospital IM residency is associated with UPENN but not the same as the Upenn IM residency; with the way that it appears on their website it was not obvious

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. I know that I have to take comlex 2, and figured that usmle 1 + comlex 1 and 2 would be sufficient to apply to most accredited schools but wanted to clarify that "dual accrediated" didn't automatically mean that you needed to take both step 1 and 2 of comlex and usmle

thank you very much for pointing out that the pennsylvania hospital IM residency is associated with UPENN but not the same as the Upenn IM residency; with the way that it appears on their website it was not obvious

Dually accredited actually means you could get by without taking the usmle and apply through the AOA side of the residency, so in that instance you certainly wouldn't need the Step 2 CK

Hey guys

thanks

I am a DO student applying for IM residency this year. From my personal experience this year I strongly suggest that you take step 2 (of course, only if you feel confident in your ability to do well). The reason I say this is because I took step 2 a little late and had my scores come in just last week. Before my score came out I did not really get any interviews but as soon as my score for step 2 came out I got bunch of invites the next day. I have also talked to residents at multiple programs and was told that having step 2 score helps considerably since programs can then compare you against other applicants. Yes I know the argument is that comlex level 2=usmle step 2 and that PDs should be able to interpret your comlex score but the reality of the situation is that the PDs of most ACGME accredited programs do not know or do not care enough to learn how to interpret COMLEX. Again this is my opinion and I am sure some people will disagree with me but I am definitely glad that I did take step 2. Remember you only want to apply for match once and its better to be safe than sorry.

I am a DO student applying for IM residency this year. From my personal experience this year I strongly suggest that you take step 2 (of course, only if you feel confident in your ability to do well). The reason I say this is because I took step 2 a little late and had my scores come in just last week. Before my score came out I did not really get any interviews but as soon as my score for step 2 came out I got bunch of invites the next day. I have also talked to residents at multiple programs and was told that having step 2 score helps considerably since programs can then compare you against other applicants. Yes I know the argument is that comlex level 2=usmle step 2 and that PDs should be able to interpret your comlex score but the reality of the situation is that the PDs of most ACGME accredited programs do not know or do not care enough to learn how to interpret COMLEX. Again this is my opinion and I am sure some people will disagree with me but I am definitely glad that I did take step 2. Remember you only want to apply for match once and its better to be safe than sorry.
This is even more true for Internal Medicine. IM programs really do care about your Step 2 score, so if you can take the CK early, it will help your application for sure.

amom

this is what I was thinking might be the case. I figured if they want you to take both step 1 exams then why would they not want you to take both step 2 exams. With that being said though, did you take USMLE 2 CS? CK + CS for each is about 1800 or so, so combined its a ton of money to spend if its not necassary

amom

this is what I was thinking might be the case. I figured if they want you to take both step 1 exams then why would they not want you to take both step 2 exams. With that being said though, did you take USMLE 2 CS? CK + CS for each is about 1800 or so, so combined its a ton of money to spend if its not necassary

I only took CK. Taking CS is a waste of money when we already have to take the PE.