POST-Acceptance Withdrawal Thread 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlayMeSomeMusic

Always waiting...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there is one of these over in Pre-Allopathic but I'm gonna jump in here and start one here.

LECOM-B: PlayMeSomeMusic (11-14)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know really how to do this, but I guess just put down the places you were accepted at, but are not going to... Maybe? I'll do that!

NSUCOM: BCLumas (10-17)

TUCOM-NV: BCLumas (10-17)

Members don't see this ad :)

TUCOM-NV: BCLumas (10-17), Concubine (9/20)

TUCOM-MI: Concubine (9/20)

AZCOM: bioteach (11/14)

TUCOM-NV: BCLumas (10-17), Concubine (9/20), bioteach (9/15)

DMU: PatriotsForever (Pending)

LECOM-E: PatriotsForever (Pending)

TUCOM-MI: Concubine (9/20)[/quote]

ATSU-Mesa: scowdeva (10/19)

People who are on the wait lists for these schools should be happy! Spots should open up soon, right? I know my seats at TUCOM-NV and NSUCOM will be.. GL TO EVERYONE! ^.^

TUCOM-MI: Concubine (9/20) KM6197 (11/15)

NSUCOM: BCLumas (10-17) Jzeidenb (11/14)

Western-COMP: Jzeidenb (9/16)

I sort of think this thread is in bad taste...

I feel like it is sort of throwing it in everyones face that havent been accepted anywhere...luckily I have been fortunate enough to get an acceptance but I still feel like it is borderline inappropriate...

Could just be me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like it is sort of throwing it in everyones face that havent been accepted anywhere...luckily I have been fortunate enough to get an acceptance but I still feel like it is borderline inappropriate...

Could just be me.

I dont see it as throwing it in anyone's face that I have an acceptance. I think it is encouraging to those that are waitlisted at these schools to see that spots are opening and will continue to open until classes start. It's a ray of hope for anyone that is wishing for one school in particular, whether they have any acceptances or not. It's not meant to be mean spirited! Good luck to all of those still waiting to hear :luck:

Could just be me.

I haven't interviewed anywhere yet so of course I don't have any acceptances. To be quite honest, like a dork I get excited when people post where they've withdrawn because I feel that it gives me just that one extra chance. I don't know if I speak for all those who haven't been accepted yet but I'm definitely not offended. :)

Ditto, I think oh good one more spot open for me...It is the little bit of hope I have

DMU: PatriotsForever (Pending), megboo (waitlisted - withdrew 10/24)

NSUCOM: BCLumas (10-17) Jzeidenb (11/14)

Could just be me.

People don't have to read this thread. I think it's good because it shows where seats are opening up for those who are on waitlists or holds.

Could just be me.

What about seeing people post numerous acceptances on the official acceptance page, or seeing how often someone gets interviewed...do you think this is throwing it in the face of the non-interviewed, non-accepted, non-withdrawl folks?
Should we close down all those threads?
I think it's positive to see how well others are doing. I also think it's positive to see movement on all of the threads.

Scowdeva its a post-acceptance withdrawal thread not pre-interview... LOL

DMU: PatriotsForever (Pending), megboo (waitlisted - withdrew 10/24)

NSUCOM: BCLumas (10-17) Jzeidenb (11/14), HrvatskiDoktor (11/19)

Scowdeva its a post-acceptance withdrawal thread not pre-interview... LOL

Well, I understood that...at least, I was offered an interview and declined it since I already have an acceptance close to home. Therefore, I guess I wasnt accepted, but I did decline the interview. Feel free to remove me I guess if I shouldnt have put it up...I was sort of following the other thread like this in allo where people are also listing declined interviews with withdrawals after acceptances.

DMU: PatriotsForever (Pending), megboo (waitlisted - withdrew 10/24), IUgrad (pending)

KCUMB: IUgrad (pending)

Hey IUGrad,

I hope you are really happy at UNECOM!! I'm sure you will love it!!:D

Thanks, t-funk!

I'm actually trying to decide between UNECOM and IU (accepted today). We narrowed it down to UNECOM last night due to family being so close. Now IU is in the mix (cheap tuition AND family is close), so I still have a decision to make.

DMU: PatriotsForever (Pending), megboo (waitlisted - withdrew 10/24), IUgrad (11/21)

KCUMB: IUgrad (11/21)

UNECOM: IUgrad (11/21)

IUgrad you're going to IU? How could you turn your back on the osteopathic profession?? :mad:

Okay I'm just kidding. :D That's awesome if you decided to go to IU!! :clap:

IUgrad you're going to IU? How could you turn your back on the osteopathic profession?? :mad:

Okay I'm just kidding. :D That's awesome if you decided to go to IU!! :clap:

Thanks, EEL!:laugh:

I know that you were just kidding, but in all honesty it was a difficult decision to choose IU. I feel strongly about the osteopathic philosophy, and I just hope that I can bring those same kind of values to my patients as an allopathic doctor. It came down to the fact that tuition was almost $20,000 cheaper here than at the D.O. school that I had decided upon. That, and we are very comfortable in Indiana, my family is close, and we can save the expense of having to move cross-country. We (SO and I) decided when we started this process that we would choose the school that best fit our needs, regardless of degree, and IUSM best fits our needs right now.

Of course, I still love D.O.s and the osteopathic profession. My favorite doc is a D.O., and I know what great doctors they are. I look forward to working alongside with D.O.'s in the future, and I definitely would utilize/recommend their services, especially for any OMM problems that my future patients (or myself!) suffer from. I hope to take with me the many lessons that I learned from the D.O.'s that I shadowed, the special attention, care, and openmindedness that they exhibited with their patients, and I will try to emulate those because I think that they are important for any doctor, not just osteopathic. A lot of people on SDN claim that MD and DO are synonymous today, and I hope that's true. That's to say that I hope that the gap really has closed between DO/MD with MDs starting to have values more in line with osteopathy (not the other way around) because the D.O. philosophy really is a better way to doctoring.

Side note: I hope you don't kick me out of the osteopathic forum because I still hope to hang with you guys -- you're the best! :love: I hope that you all get the schools that you want. You (everyone I've gotten to know on here) are all great people, and I know you'll all be great physicians.

Congrats IUGrad. I wish you the best of luck in the future. I bet it's nice not to be in limbo anymore. It's weird how I always seem to agree with everything you say, but I agree with your post and the sentiment within completely. Given today's economy, I think it is very wise to go for such a significantly lower tuition amount. Definitely don't leave the pre-DO forum.

I'm sure it was a hard decision. UNECOM seems like a great school too. All I can say about $20,000 cheaper in tuition is, can I get an amen?! That's seriously nice. Just think of all the vacations you can take me on with the money you'll be saving. ;) MD and being a good, caring doctor are absolutely not mutually exclusive. I have a friend who is an MD completing her residency at U of M and another friend I haven't talked to in years who graduated from IUSM and I believe is now in residency as well. You had the choice to pick between allopathic and osteopathic and no matter which way you decided to go you're still the same person. You will make a great doctor no matter what. Maybe we can even be colleagues some day. You are definitely welcome here anytime. I can always use an extra shoulder to cry on/someone to celebrate with. :)

Thanks, EEL and t-funk! Your support really means a lot to me. :love: You guys are great!

Hope you all have a happy turkey day tomorrow!

Doesn't IU have the largest class size of any med school in the country? I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

At first, I didn't even consider it, but after visiting GA-PCOM (class size ~80), and LECOM-B (small PBL groups), and then seeing KCUMB with 270+ people crammed into a lecture hall, the difference was obvious.

Then again, in-state tuition would be tough for anyone to turn down. Not sure what it is at IU, but I'm sure its cheaper than a private DO school by a lot.

Maybe we can even be colleagues some day. You are definitely welcome here anytime.

I know I always seem to derail threads, but this statement just reminded me of when I first decided I was definitely going to apply DO. To be honest, I was a little nervous about the stigma at first so I completely understand when others are nervous about it. So, a year and a half ago at my high school reunion and went up to talk to a guy who had been in all of the advanced classes with me through high school and junior high and I had tremendous respect for him. I knew he was doing his residency in Chicago and I didn't know how he would react when I told him that I was planning on applying to DO schools.

When I told him, he got all excited and started telling me about all the DOs in his residency program and that he works with them all the time. Then he said that he hoped we could work together as colleagues (using that specific word) one day. I usually don't get external gratification, but for some reason this conversation put me totally at ease about applying to DO schools which I really needed at the time. So yes, IUGrad, I hope we can work as colleagues one day also.

Doesn't IU have the largest class size of any med school in the country? I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

At first, I didn't even consider it, but after visiting GA-PCOM (class size ~80), and LECOM-B (small PBL groups), and then seeing KCUMB with 270+ people crammed into a lecture hall, the difference was obvious.

Then again, in-state tuition would be tough for anyone to turn down. Not sure what it is at IU, but I'm sure its cheaper than a private DO school by a lot.

I think that the entering class size is pretty big (don't know if it is the largest nationwide); however, students are assigned to a satellite campus for the first two years. I think, from talking to current students, that class size at these campuses range from 13 first-year students to 24. The only campus with considerably more students is the Indianapolis campus. One of the campuses even has PBL! I have a friend who is at that campus now and loves it.

I agree -- class size is a big consideration and something I am going to research before choosing my campus preferences. For location reasons only, my preference right now is the Bloomington campus just because we live here now and my parents at 15 min away.

The in-state tuition is $23,000, which was the cheapest of any of the schools where I was accepted by $10,000. It is unfortunate that the tuition is so high at most DO schools because I think a lot of students weigh tuition in their decision. I do understand, though, since most of them are private institutions, and tuition is always a lot higher at these (MD or DO). Also, it's worth mentioning that, of the schools where I was invited to interview, the (OOS) tuition was the highest at WVU (an MD school), so the problem of high tuition is not exclusive to DO schools.

I know I always seem to derail threads, but this statement just reminded me of when I first decided I was definitely going to apply DO. To be honest, I was a little nervous about the stigma at first so I completely understand when others are nervous about it. So, a year and a half ago at my high school reunion and went up to talk to a guy who had been in all of the advanced classes with me through high school and junior high and I had tremendous respect for him. I knew he was doing his residency in Chicago and I didn't know how he would react when I told him that I was planning on applying to DO schools.

When I told him, he got all excited and started telling me about all the DOs in his residency program and that he works with them all the time. Then he said that he hoped we could work together as colleagues (using that specific word) one day. I usually don't get external gratification, but for some reason this conversation put me totally at ease about applying to DO schools which I really needed at the time. So yes, IUGrad, I hope we can work as colleagues one day also.

That's great! :thumbup:

I have to say that I have only heard positive things about D.O.s from people that I talk to who work with them. I talked to a nurse just the other day here at the hospital in Bloomington and told her that I was applying to both DO/MD, and she said told me that she preferred working with DOs and thought they were great doctors. This is always the consensus I get.

I know you are going to make a great doctor, t-funk, and I would be honored to work as your colleague. Maybe if you get assigned for rotations to Deaconess in Evansville (KCUMB rotation) we will work together since IU students rotate there, too. :) That would be great! :D

Maybe if you get assigned for rotations to Deaconess in Evansville (KCUMB rotation) we will work together since IU students rotate there, too. :) That would be great! :D

:thumbup: That would be awesome even though I wouldn't know who you were. :laugh:

I'm sure one of us would figure it out though, maybe.

:thumbup: That would be awesome even though I wouldn't know who you were. :laugh:

I'm sure one of us would figure it out though, maybe.

:laugh: Yeah, I'd have to "out" myself before then.

I need to get a picture of myself in my avatar at some point... One that is not *too* recognizable (I'm not brave enough to give up all my anonymity :oops:).

:laugh: Yeah, I'd have to "out" myself before then.

I need to get a picture of myself in my avatar at some point... One that is not *too* recognizable (I'm not brave enough to give up all my anonymity :oops:).

That would be pretty weird since right now I imagine you as a grown up Becky from Roseanne with a raspy voice.

:laugh: Now I feel like I'm misrepresenting myself because I'm nothing like "Becky."

Ok, you've convinced me! I've finally joined the club of SDN members with real pictures! :eek:

The in-state tuition is $23,000, which was the cheapest of any of the schools where I was accepted by $10,000.

wow, glad to see things worked out for you. Tuition is also an important factor in choosing the right school :thumbup: Good luck!.

Thanks! Good luck to you, too. :)

Sorry to hijack the thread everyone. :oops: :hijacked:

That would be pretty weird since right now I imagine you as a grown up Becky from Roseanne with a raspy voice.

:laugh: I kept picturing IUgrad looking like Sarah Chalke. It's hard to help it. The funny thing is it seems it's better to give up your anonymity on here once you're accepted. I've said so many different things about myself on here, especially the fact that my husband and I are both applying, I pretty much gave it away before I even put my pic up. :cool:

:laugh: I kept picturing IUgrad looking like Sarah Chalke. It's hard to help it. The funny thing is it seems it's better to give up your anonymity on here once you're accepted. I've said so many different things about myself on here, especially the fact that my husband and I are both applying, I pretty much gave it away before I even put my pic up. :cool:

Oh don't worry, there are thousands of applicants, and thousands of applications each year. Even if an adcom members come to this forum, remembering you from SDN would be pretty slim when going through so many applications.

Just in case you thought I was crazy, Sarah Chalke played Becky on Roseanne during the last couple of seasons in the early 90s when she was still a teenager.

IUGrad, I'm glad you put your picture up so that I won't hear that raspy voice in my head anymore when I read your posts. :laugh: You look so young. That's a very nice picture but it doesn't seem too cryptic.

Just in case you thought I was crazy, Sarah Chalke played Becky on Roseanne during the last couple of seasons in the early 90s when she was still a teenager.

IUGrad, I'm glad you put your picture up so that I won't hear that raspy voice in my head anymore when I read your posts. :laugh: You look so young. That's a very nice picture.

Yep, I remember! I actually liked the original Becky better because she reminded me of my sister. :)

Yep, I remember! I actually liked the original Becky better because she reminded me of my sister. :)

I liked the original Becky better too, back then. I was pretty upset when they changed. But when I think back to Roseanne now, Becky is Sarah Chalke in my mind.

I liked the original Becky better too, back then. I was pretty upset when they changed. But when I think back to Roseanne now, Becky is Sarah Chalke in my mind.

It's the opposite for me but I think it's because I watched regularly with the old girl. I can't even remember her name for some reason. Ahhh, I miss the good old days. :p

Could just be me.

For those on the waiting list or just waiting to get an interview invite, knowing that another position is available is hopeful.

Kris

It's the opposite for me but I think it's because I watched regularly with the old girl. I can't even remember her name for some reason. Ahhh, I miss the good old days. :p

I think her name was Leci Gorenson (sp?).

DMU: PatriotsForever (Pending), megboo (waitlisted - withdrew 10/24), IUgrad (11/21)

KCUMB: IUgrad (11/21)

UNECOM: IUgrad (11/21)

Okay, all of us hijackers...time to get back to business!