Post Bac for Low GPA+GRE (no MCAT yet)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jowen88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I tried to search but couldn't find anything.
Integrative Biology UIllinois Champaign-Urbana May 2011 student
Currently 3.4 GPA
3.3 Science GPA (these are both upward trending, hopefully to 3.5, 3.33 respectively by graduation)

For a long time I had considered PA, but after shadowing both MDs and PAs extensively I've decided I would prefer being an MD.

Addititional ECs:
-10 total credit hours research my senior year (hoping to publish, otherwise will be gradding with distinction because of it=~250 hours of lab time)
-1200 hours paid patient contact experience (patient care tech/CNA at hospital)
-300 hours volunteering at hospital and big brothers big sisters
-started registered student org that now has ~50 members that provides health screenings to underpriveledged groups
-solid letters of rec+100 total hours of shadowing time from doctors and PAs

Obviously, I need to take my MCAT, but my standarized tests have always been my 'strongpoint', so I'm aiming for at least a 30 on the MCAT when I do take it (probably April of 2011) after 3-4 months of very intensive studying while continuing research at my lab (biochemical/neurological response to addiction.) My GRE score was a 1320 630Q 690V 5.0 analytical after 3 weeks of studying if comparisons mean anything. I have all As and Bs in prereqs except C's in Calculus and Gen chem I and II (+their labs)

What I Need
A post bacc aimed towards students who want to improve their GPA but don't have an MCAT score yet before applying. I don't want to haphazardly take the MCAT just to gain entry to one of these programs and get some BS score cus I didn't prepare at all. Ideally the program would be in Illinois but I honestly don't care where it is.

Thanks!
Josh

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

if you achieve these numbers you have a medium-low chance at md schools as-is (with a mid 30s MCAT) and a good chance at DO schools (with a slightly less MCAT)

it sounds like you don't want a true SMP (med school course work) but just some grad-level biosci courses to boost your gpa. theres also the possibility to do some unstructured ugrad work at a local university, ie. essentially a 5th year to add some more credits and increase both gpa's. if you insist on md, look through category 1 and 2 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8329886&postcount=1

and i don't know exactly what you searched for and didn't find, because all the information you need is right there. be a bit proactive and look through all the programs i mentioned and find out which ones require the mcat and which ones accept the gre in lieu, because many of them do (especially from category 2).

if you achieve these numbers you have a medium-low chance at md schools as-is (with a mid 30s MCAT) and a good chance at DO schools (with a slightly less MCAT)

it sounds like you don't want a true SMP (med school course work) but just some grad-level biosci courses to boost your gpa. theres also the possibility to do some unstructured ugrad work at a local university, ie. essentially a 5th year to add some more credits and increase both gpa's. if you insist on md, look through category 1 and 2 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8329886&postcount=1

and i don't know exactly what you searched for and didn't find, because all the information you need is right there. be a bit proactive and look through all the programs i mentioned and find out which ones require the mcat and which ones accept the gre in lieu, because many of them do (especially from category 2).

Thanks Kim, I'm getting used to sdn.net but I will do my best to find what I need. Thanks for the help!