Post Bac, GPA 3.76, MCAT 33R, need school recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MermaidMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Completed a degree in English from a top UC with a cumulative GPA of 3.54. Started Post-Bac in 2008--finished this year with all A's/A-'s except in Physics (B-/B+/A-) for a prereq GPA of 3.76. Took some additional classes in Post-bac, so not sure what my overall cGPA will be--guessing around 3.6, given the large number of classes I had in undergrad in comparison.

Extra curriculars include a year's worth of hands-on volunteering at a public primary care clinic with lots of direct patient experience, 4 years of volunteering with a wellness oriented nonprofit, 6 years of working in the fitness industry, and 2 years of employment working with patients in a research project run by a major healthcare provider.

I've applied to all schools in state (CA), but feel the need to apply more broadly. I have no concept of most out of state schools and even less of where my stats place me in the scheme of things. I'd love any input regarding which schools to add to my application, given that I'm seeking a collaborative environment with excellent clinical training and an environment supportive of my having a family while in school.

Thanks in advance, SDN'ers!

Members don't see this ad.

Completed a degree in English from a top UC with a cumulative GPA of 3.54. Started Post-Bac in 2008--finished this year with all A's/A-'s except in Physics (B-/B+/A-) for a prereq GPA of 3.76. Took some additional classes in Post-bac, so not sure what my overall cGPA will be--guessing around 3.6, given the large number of classes I had in undergrad in comparison.

Extra curriculars include a year's worth of hands-on volunteering at a public primary care clinic with lots of direct patient experience, 4 years of volunteering with a wellness oriented nonprofit, 6 years of working in the fitness industry, and 2 years of employment working with patients in a research project run by a major healthcare provider.

I've applied to all schools in state (CA), but feel the need to apply more broadly. I have no concept of most out of state schools and even less of where my stats place me in the scheme of things. I'd love any input regarding which schools to add to my application, given that I'm seeking a collaborative environment with excellent clinical training and an environment supportive of my having a family while in school.

Thanks in advance, SDN'ers!
With a ~3.6/33, some schools with a decent OOS maticulation rate for you to research for their suitability for your needs might be:

UConn, Georgetown, Miami, Iowa, Maryland, UMinn, Stony Brook, Wake, Cincinnati, Penn State, UWisconsin,
Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW,
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer), Arizona,
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, UNevada (if from E Sierra Nevadas), NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS, Florida Atlantic University (new)

Last edited: