post bac or grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am thinking about going to med schhol but my credentials are not very competitive , so i was thinking about doing a masters in anatomy(one year program) which is offered in the med school of my school.What do you think of this idea?Do you know of anybobody who has done this?
Any suggestions and/or sincere answers are greatly welcomed .
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, finally another Buckeye at SDN!

Anyhow, I was wondering where your application was lacking. Is it your GPA that needs help? Have you taken the MCAT yet? These are important things to consider, because there are other options availible depending on what your particular area of concern is. I guess what I'm saying is I need more info before I can give you an opinion.

Mango
MS-1

Hi
I have a total GPA of 3.0 and a science GPA of 2.5.I will take the MCAT on April .I was thinking that even if i get above 30, i will need something more such as a MS(anatomy), or post bac work.What do you guys think?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I would say you probably do need a graduate program to mask your undergrad GPA. A 30 or above on the MCAT is also a definate must! I think there are many schools which offer a one year Masters in Public Health degree. It seems like a lot of people go that route. I'm sorry I can't help you with specifics on programs though. Good Luck to you,

Mango

One more thing, have you considered OU? I interviwed there and found that it was a really good school. And they will be more forgiving of your GPA. Especially if you score high on the MCAT.

I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm taking the MCAT in April. My gpa isn't up to par, 3.3. But, I've got extensive wrok in the medical area, both volunteer and paid. I'm also a buckeye! I really like Wright State's program, because they are really involved in community health. Since there isn't a university hospital, students are in area hospitals and clinics. From their first year, med students are out in the community. That's what I want to do! Of course, I'll apply other places as well, but I really like Wright State. UC would be good as well, OSU too. I haven't thought about OU as much. I like the philosophy that DO's have, but I worked for a DO and I didn't like his methods of work. Of course, he's only one doctor out of many.

Don't let that one experience with a DO affect your chances of becoming a physician. IF you dont get into MD, go the osteopathic route. It is the same thing, trust me. And definately choose it before going abroad.

Good luck!

medhope

I was/am in a similar sitiuation. My science grades were lacking. Check the policy of admsissions at the med school there because my school (Wayne State in Detroit) will disregard my undergrad grades if I complete 20 grad credits which is nice. But in all reality, it will be another two years before medical school. I thought it would only be one for me but I needed to prove a lot to the admissions committee.

Hey! I go to Wayne too, and I also have about two years to go.
biggrin.gif
Are you in AMSA or the APMS? There's an AMSA meeting tomorrow on campus. Email me if you need the info.

------------------
^v^