Post Bac or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRoyal Pains

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a post bac or masters program harder to get into? Which is more beneficial and will look better when applying to dental school? I want to attend NYU dental, but I am afraid my sGPA may be to low. I have one semester left and I am taking 13 credits all science classes. This is my last chance to rock these science classes. If I attended NYU for a masters program, would it help me when applying there? (hopefully I do not have to get one)

Members don't see this ad.

Is a post bac or masters program harder to get into? Which is more beneficial and will look better when applying to dental school? I want to attend NYU dental, but I am afraid my sGPA may be to low. I have one semester left and I am taking 13 credits all science classes. This is my last chance to rock these science classes. If I attended NYU for a masters program, would it help me when applying there? (hopefully I do not have to get one)

I don't really think that attending NYU grad programs will increase you chances of getting in, when taking into consideration the cost of NYU (grad program).

Whether to do a post-bac or master's is really dependent on what your undergrad GPA is. If your GPA is so low (to the point that you cannot even get close to a 3.0 by the time you graduate), then a master's program is probably the best route for you.

If, however, you're at like a 2.9ish and you feel (be sure to calculate it out) that you can bring it up to 3.0+ by taking a few more classes after you graduate...do post bac.

I'm sure there are exceptions to these rules, but those are just a few that I went by during my undergrad. I didn't have to do either...so maybe someone who had to do one can elaborate on what I've said (or correct me).

Good Luck!

What should you do: master or postbacc, if your gpa is @3.3-3.4?

Members don't see this ad :)
What should you do: master or postbacc, if your gpa is @3.3-3.4?

I would apply with that GPA...that's what mine is and I've been accepted to two schools, got an interview at ASDOH but I will probably refrain from going because I'm in already at Loma Linda and I like it better.

Assuming you have decent DAT scores (20+), you are probably all set to go. Obviously, the higher you score on your DAT, the less you have to consider either of the options you've asked about here.

My overall is 3.3. My sGPA is a little below a 3.0. Next semester I am taking 13 credits of science classes in order to not only raise my sGPA, but my overall. I plan to rock these last classes, and hopefully not have to do either a post-bac or masters. I am taking the DAT this summer.

My overall is 3.3. My sGPA is a little below a 3.0. Next semester I am taking 13 credits of science classes in order to not only raise my sGPA, but my overall. I plan to rock these last classes, and hopefully not have to do either a post-bac or masters. I am taking the DAT this summer.

Yeah man, I really think it's feasible for you to end up 3.0+ in the sGPA category. If you do...make sure you do really well on the DAT (21+) and I think it's very possible for you to get into NYU. I think quite a lot of applicants to that school have similar stats (accepted applicants). Just try your hardest to make the 4.0 each semester. If you make one B it may not kill you, but it's sort of late in the game now for you to make lots of B's. You can do it!!! Best of luck to you!

Yea, that is my plan. Basically this semester will make or break me for my first time applying. I just hope I dont need to get a masters or post bac, but if I have to, I will.

do the master's, its an advanced degree and WILL help you get in. just do well and demonstrate to them u can handle all the sciences. i know first hand a lot of my grad school mates got in from umdnj msbs program

I really hope I do not need either, but you all make very valid points.