Post-bac: repeat classes or take harder ones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dsexto01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for post-bac programs but am having trouble figuring out what to do. I'm a recent grad with a 2.99 GPA and I majored in biology. I have taken all the pre-reqs for med school along with a slew of other upper level sciences.

When applying to programs, should I look to repeat my pre-reqs in order to boost my GPA or should I look to take new upper levels and score well to also boost my GPA? I can't seem to find any solid answer to this question while browsing the forums!

One more point of confusion to clear up, being that I'm a recent grad, do I go about applying for undergrad post-bacs or graduate post-bacs or does that hinder on whether or not I plan on repeating classes or taking new upper level courses (repeat; undergrad, new courses; grad?)

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Repeat any pre-req thats a C, consider taking a few upper level sci classes if u have any options, then do an SMP.

And rock the MCAT/DAT

Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for post-bac programs but am having trouble figuring out what to do. I'm a recent grad with a 2.99 GPA and I majored in biology. I have taken all the pre-reqs for med school along with a slew of other upper level sciences.

When applying to programs, should I look to repeat my pre-reqs in order to boost my GPA or should I look to take new upper levels and score well to also boost my GPA? I can't seem to find any solid answer to this question while browsing the forums!

One more point of confusion to clear up, being that I'm a recent grad, do I go about applying for undergrad post-bacs or graduate post-bacs or does that hinder on whether or not I plan on repeating classes or taking new upper level courses (repeat; undergrad, new courses; grad?)

Thanks for the help!

Two things you should know when deciding on repeating classes. If you end up doing a formal program that even results in anything grad degree related, certificate, etc. you will NOT add to your ugrad GPA. It will be separate in the grad gpa. If you want to boost your undergrad GPA, then it would be best to do another bachelor's degree or do additional classes as a non-matric student.

I'm not sure if you are the same person who asked about a similar question with a 2.99 cgpa but with such limited information, it is impossible to provide a more accurate advice. If you think you can handle a rigorous SMP with high grades that mimic medical school classes, then that would most likely be better than doing post-bacc classes. If you feel like you got the low GPA because you didn't have a solid understanding of basic sciences (be really honest with this question) then repeat the pre-reqs you did poorly in. A bonus to repeating pre-reqs are that they will be easy the 2nd time around and it will help with your MCAT if you haven't taken them again.

There is no magic formula, everyone is different and different doors will be open for different people.