Post Bac student: Extra Curriculars vs Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalLonghorn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be a postbac (informal) student this fall. However, the school I will be taking my classes at will not be my alma mater due to cost. With that being said, I plan on volunteering at another place in addition to what I already do. My priority right now are grades but I still want to help my community out. Since this is a new school, it will be kinda hard to have leadership positions and whatnot since I just enrolled. However, I have plenty of time to focus on my grades AND volunteer within my community. Would it be wise to just invest all my time into my grades and volunteering (and shadowing here and there)? Or would I need to join more clubs and try to get a leadership position?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Valuable experiences can be had anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't applied yet, but I have a few friends who recently got accepted after doing a year of post-bacc work. Both of them interned in a dental office while taking classes and volunteered monthly at dental clinics in their area. I can't speak for you, but I think something dental exposure related would be wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't applied yet, but I have a few friends who recently got accepted after doing a year of post-bacc work. Both of them interned in a dental office while taking classes and volunteered monthly at dental clinics in their area. I can't speak for you, but I think something dental exposure related would be wise.

If you dont mind me asking, how many credit hrs did their post bac include in that one year span?

If your planning on going to Baylor, I would say focus on grades. I cant speak on behalf of Houston and San antonios, but BCD wants to see that you've been challenged in the upper level sciences. Dont get me wrong, your willingness to volunteer and serve your community, im sure is much appreciated.. But having only 100 hrs of volunteering and 80 hours of shadowing(random number btw) will NOT be the deciding factor IMO.

Worth noting I did a 2 year post-bacc, 12 hours a semester. 5 semesters total (1 summer). I was in only 1 club, had no leadership role in it (was never asked about it in an interview), but I had MANY ECs that were unique and interesting. I recommend you be an interesting applicant. Do something that others haven't that makes folks say "I'd like to know more about that!"

Rodney is correct in that BCD stresses those upper division sciences (though they have the lowest admissions statistics of the 3 schools IIRC). I think BCD is the only school with such an overt "mission statement".

I'm not 100% sure, but I think each took roughly two courses a semester while working almost full time. Both I know were previously interviewed at dental schools, but neither were accepted. So I assume their 'stats' (DAT/GPA) were decent. They mostly just took upper level biology courses like Biochemistry, histology, genetics. As mentioned above it might be worth while to do something that sticks out.

Worth noting I did a 2 year post-bacc, 12 hours a semester. 5 semesters total (1 summer). I was in only 1 club, had no leadership role in it (was never asked about it in an interview), but I had MANY ECs that were unique and interesting. I recommend you be an interesting applicant. Do something that others haven't that makes folks say "I'd like to know more about that!"

Rodney is correct in that BCD stresses those upper division sciences (though they have the lowest admissions statistics of the 3 schools IIRC). I think BCD is the only school with such an overt "mission statement".

Yes, it seems BCD has the lowest avg of the TX schools. Like you said, they really do emphasize the upper level courses and volunteer stuff. Do they care about plant bio? lol

Yes, it seems BCD has the lowest avg of the TX schools. Like you said, they really do emphasize the upper level courses and volunteer stuff. Do they care about plant bio? lol
I think they prefer you to take courses you'll see in dental school. Histo, Biochem, A&P, Immuno, etc.