Post-bacc as GPA booster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyhardemj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior, Biology major at small private school (not very well-known). I have wanted to be a dentist since I was 10 years old, and I've always thought that this is my only dream. But after some extenuating circumstances in the first two years of my college career, my GPA is low. VERY low. My cGPA is 2.9, and my sGPA is about 2.3 or so.

Science classes that I have taken so far are:
Gen Bio I/II: B/C
Gen Chem I/II: B/C
O.Chem I/II: C/D
Research in Biology: A
Biological Diversity: B

And I am planning on taking Genetics, Biochem, Physics Independent Study in Bio, Cell&Molec, Immunology, Microbiology, etc. I still have so far to go in just two semesters left, because my advisor messed up my schedule when I sat out for a semester after my sophomore year.

As I am getting close to complete my degree, I am still debating whether or not to just go ahead and apply for dental schools this summer. I just started preparing for DAT, and I am shooting for the score that is as high as possible.

I have an excuse for having such a low gpa due to some family problem, etc. Also I have pretty unique(?) EC activities: music (National Opera Association award), oversea dental mission trip. And I have already done 100 hours of shadowing.

And I just found out that there are premedical post-bacc program, and I was wondering if that would be a better choice for my situation, with such low GPA.. Can I still get accepted to premed post-bacc program, even though I will have B.S. in Biology?

$$$ does not matter to me, and I just want one more chance. I just do not want to give up my long-time dream, because I messed up my first two years of college. I do want a second chance, but I do not know what to do. I am so depressed right now.

Can anyone give me a suggestion, please?

Members don't see this ad.

Just do whatever you have to in order to raise that low GPA then destroy the DAT and hope that you'll get an interview. That pretty much what you can do

I am a junior, Biology major at small private school (not very well-known). I have wanted to be a dentist since I was 10 years old, and I've always thought that this is my only dream. But after some extenuating circumstances in the first two years of my college career, my GPA is low. VERY low. My cGPA is 2.9, and my sGPA is about 2.3 or so.

Science classes that I have taken so far are:
Gen Bio I/II: B/C
Gen Chem I/II: B/C
O.Chem I/II: C/D
Research in Biology: A
Biological Diversity: B

And I am planning on taking Genetics, Biochem, Physics Independent Study in Bio, Cell&Molec, Immunology, Microbiology, etc. I still have so far to go in just two semesters left, because my advisor messed up my schedule when I sat out for a semester after my sophomore year.

As I am getting close to complete my degree, I am still debating whether or not to just go ahead and apply for dental schools this summer. I just started preparing for DAT, and I am shooting for the score that is as high as possible.

I have an excuse for having such a low gpa due to some family problem, etc. Also I have pretty unique(?) EC activities: music (National Opera Association award), oversea dental mission trip. And I have already done 100 hours of shadowing.

And I just found out that there are premedical post-bacc program, and I was wondering if that would be a better choice for my situation, with such low GPA.. Can I still get accepted to premed post-bacc program, even though I will have B.S. in Biology?

$$$ does not matter to me, and I just want one more chance. I just do not want to give up my long-time dream, because I messed up my first two years of college. I do want a second chance, but I do not know what to do. I am so depressed right now.

Can anyone give me a suggestion, please?

First things first,

Focus on finishing off your remaining 3 semesters (4 if you include summer) strong. Aim for all A's, if you do this your GPA will raise to a ~ 3.2/2.7 depending on how many units you have taken. My opinion is to then do a formal/informal 2-year post-bacc. and keep your grades strong. Assuming you pull A's in these final two years, you should reach a more favorable ~3.4/3.0 range. Combined with great experiences and your revealed determination to pursue dentistry you will reach your goal. Set your mind to it, you can do it.

Good Luck